Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

F1 Grand Prix at Silverstone Seating Recommendations Please

Gary Hart's Stalker

Jul 17, 2013
Gary Hart's Bush
Kind of spurred on by the bucket list thread, I've always wanted to take my Dad to an F1 Grand Prix. So I'm looking at options for Silverstone this year.

Is just the Sunday enough, or do you need the whole weekend to make the experience complete?

I think I'd prefer to have reserved seating and don't mind shelling out for good seats if they're worth the money.

So over to you good folks for your experiences and recommendations please!

Thanks in advance.

Rugrat

Mar 13, 2011
Seaford
Just my opinion and petrol heads might disagree but I've been a few times and it's all rather disappointmenting. You don't get to see a whole lot and apart from the first few laps it's not much of a spectacle. I've been on the start line but think Copse gives the "longest" view if you really wanted to go

You should take a look at Goodwood Festival of Speed. Traffic getting in aside, it's a brilliant day, all the better if you can run to one of the hospitality packages. All the F1 cars are there, you can get up close and all the top drivers for the last x years compete too ... brilliant day

dougdeep

May 9, 2004
SUNNY SEAFORD
A day at Brands Hatch can be more fun for a fraction of the price. Only an hour away too.

Skint Gull

Jul 27, 2003
Watchin the boats go by
Yeah but Brands and Goodwood (agreed both are excellent) don't tick off the bucket list like he asked for do they!

Me and the old man went about 3 years ago and it was a great weekend, although obviously you always get pissed on at the British GP! In my opinion it is much better value to go for weekend the so much cash for one day, atmosphere is great if you stay on site camping and grandstand tickets allow you to go in any grandstand on the Fri and Sat.

We had seats in either Woodcote A or C (can't remember) and it was great, could see the cars coming down the DRS straight into Brooklands and all the way round Luffield and Woodcote. Will be a premium ticket but if you're gonna do it then do it properly I reckon! You can put view from Woodcote into google images/videos to get an idea.

Good luck mate

Rugrat

Mar 13, 2011
Seaford
Yeah but Brands and Goodwood (agreed both are excellent) don't tick off the bucket list like he asked for do they!

Brands doesn't but I'm thinking Goodwood might. I've been to loads of GP's and never got as close up and "involved" with cars and drivers as I have at the Festival of Speed.

If going to a GP is something that absolutely needs ticking off I wouldn't pick Silverstone .. in saying that I can understand why he would

jakarta

May 25, 2007
Sullington
Woodcote Corner at Silverstone was probably (with Eau Rouge at Spa) the one that required the biggest balls in F1 before it was ruined with chicanes and then totally remodelled i.e. slowed down.

In the 1970's it used to be a right hand bend taken flat out in top gear in a drift by the top drivers e.g. Ronnie Peterson.

At 160MPH.

Have a look on You Tube (Formula One 1973 British Grand Prix Start) to see the consequences of getting the corner wrong, as Jody Scheckter did...... :ohmy:

surrey jim

Not in Surrey
Aug 2, 2005
Bevendean
Does it need to be the British GP? You could potentially do another European race for cheaper- I.e Belgium/ Hungary and make a short holiday with it

Brian Parsons

May 16, 2013
Bicester, Oxfordshire.
Where do I start, I live 15 miles from Silverstone and I worked in motorsport nearly 40 yrs. I used to do the GP every year with my daughter and a group of friends attending all 3 days of the meeting. But then along came corporate hospitality and year after year there were more hospitality units and less free standing areas, not to mention the steady increase in ticket prices. So in 2010 we decided to give Spa in Belgium a go. One of the best decisions we all made, brilliant circuit amazing scenery and wait for it, cheaper tickets. Factoring in travel and camping it is about the same as Silverstone. Give it a try you won't regret it. Finally despite the glamour involved give the Monaco GP a miss.
Totally agree with Goodwood festival of Speed and the revival meeting as well.

Hugo Rune

NSC Patreon
Feb 23, 2012
Brighton
Its just a shame that the cars sound shit this season. I have been to 12 GP's and the noise is incredible.

Have you been to a GP this season to judge if they REALLY sound bad? Even the dwarf controller seems to have shut up about it having heard a race live. Personally I really like the whistle of the turbo.

little al

Crystal Palace fan
Apr 4, 2009
Aberdeen, United Kingdom
Have you been to a GP this season to judge if they REALLY sound bad? Even the dwarf controller seems to have shut up about it having heard a race live. Personally I really like the whistle of the turbo.

No I haven't to be honest, but I know someone who went to the testing in Jerez and he said that it was all people were talking about.

Drumstick

NORTHSTANDER
Jul 19, 2003
Peacehaven
I went last year and wow it was great we did the whole weekend and found a great place to stand for free. For grandstands [MENTION=5]Turkey[/MENTION] might be useful.

Turkey

Jul 4, 2003
Really treat him and go to Hungaroring in Budapest instead, its a brilliant weekend of F1.

I was going to go to Budapest this year but hasn't worked out in the end. Why is it so good though? Everyone says you can see loads as it's in a natural bowl but in any YouTube videos of grandstands I've checked out it doesn't look better than Silverstone tbh.

I go to Woodcote every year at Silverstone. See them come down the straight with all the drs overtakes and then a nice looping corner and off towards Copse. Decent amount of track and plenty of action to see.

Regards first poster. I'd suggest doing the 3 days. On Friday you can go in any grandstand but the first thing you should do is stand by the fence at the entry to Becketts. Jaw dropping. Not great to see the qualy and race there but great spot to appreciate the speed and cornering ability of an f1 car.

Always a great atmosphere in the village and campsites too. Personally I'd always do the 3 days, I don't think its possible to see everything just on race day plus the cars are only out for the race. You get more running on the other days and can walk the track checking out different spots.

Noldi

Sep 5, 2010
Horsham
Just my opinion and petrol heads might disagree but I've been a few times and it's all rather disappointmenting. You don't get to see a whole lot and apart from the first few laps it's not much of a spectacle. I've been on the start line but think Copse gives the "longest" view if you really wanted to go

You should take a look at Goodwood Festival of Speed. Traffic getting in aside, it's a brilliant day, all the better if you can run to one of the hospitality packages. All the F1 cars are there, you can get up close and all the top drivers for the last x years compete too ... brilliant day

Totally agree unless the sitting in traffic jam is part of the experience then Silverstone is the one

Paying the bills

Latest Discussions

Paying the bills

Paying the bills

Paying the bills

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here