Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Rohan Ince

imissworthing2

Mar 15, 2008
In the Valleys
He'll go on to be our best midfielder if he's here in 2/3 yrs, right now he's having the type of season most youngsters have have when they step up to the1st team. Good days and bad days.

In regard to goals, what I noticed on Sat was how often Andrews and Stephens' main job was to get the ball out of their feet asap and get it to the front 4: against poor opposition it worked really well. Andrews dropping into the back 4 also gave Stephens abit more space in the middle. Rather than Ince being poor I think we've found a pairing that compliments the rest of the team.

kevtherev

Feb 28, 2008
Tunbridge Wells
Think it's more to do with Stephens and Lualua starting, than Ince not strarting. The midfield three of Ince-Andrews- JFC was clearly far to defencive and non creative....Andrews has taking a bit of a slating this season but I feel his extra experience at this stage of the season, could just give him the edge over Ince.

dadams2k11

ID10T Error
Jun 24, 2011
Brighton
Think it's more to do with Stephens and Lualua starting, than Ince not strarting. The midfield three of Ince-Andrews- JFC was clearly far to defencive and non creative....Andrews has taking a bit of a slating this season but I feel his extra experience at this stage of the season, could just give him the edge over Ince.

I have to agree with this.

Albumen

Don't wait for me!
Jan 19, 2010
Brighton - In your face
Stephens is the best midfielder we have (and is the reason for our form) and probably prefers to play with Andrews as he has more experience. Ince is only out through injury though, and is a better enforcer than Andrews and Oscar has yet to have a choice of the three. Against Huddersfield Id go with Andrews, then unleash Ince on Blackpool.

Stat Brother

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
West west west Sussex
The NSC Ince hype machine and Andrews slating have both got out of hand this season.

Ince will be fantastic, he'll be receiving trophies from Sep, but currently he's a very good young central midfielder.
Another season in the Championship, under Oscar's guidance, should do away with his Bambi on ice impression when he gets the ball, as well as Thumper in the headlights when approaching their penalty area.

Andrews is a class act, without Ince muscling his way into the team, KA would have imposed himself for the season, and not just these few, very important, games.

Seasider78

Nov 14, 2004
Ince is a fantastic prospect but two holding midfielders is overkill and we look a far more balanced and dangerous side with just one. I hope we will now see ince and Andrews competing for the same spot in the team. As others have mentioned Stephens has made the difference stringing attacks together which is something we have missed with Orlandi being out for most of the season.

Silk

May 4, 2012
Uckfield

Is the correct answer. Andrews' slatings completely unjustified anyway. The former Barnes haters just needed a new target.

KZNSeagull

Nov 26, 2007
Wolsingham, County Durham
Just a thought - perhaps the thinking behind playing Andrews and Ince together was that Oscar/Jones decided that Ince needed support? It's a lot of responsibility on young shoulders in his first season, afterall. This is not a criticism of the lad, he has done very well. Will be interesting to see Ince and Stephens together at some point.

Machiavelli

Oct 11, 2013
Fiveways
Ince is a fantastic prospect but two holding midfielders is overkill and we look a far more balanced and dangerous side with just one. I hope we will now see ince and Andrews competing for the same spot in the team. As others have mentioned Stephens has made the difference stringing attacks together which is something we have missed with Orlandi being out for most of the season.

I'm not sure that Stephens is like Orlandi, he's more like Crofts, in the sense that he's a box-to-box midfielder, that appears to have the full range of attributes: dynamism, presence, good engine, vision, execution.
If we play a midfield three, which we do, then ideally what we need is a defensive-minded player (Ince, Andrews), a more dynamic, box-to-box player (Stephens, Crofts) and a more creative, attacking player (Orlandi, March, Agustein, Lopez). I haven't included JFC in this, because I'm still not sure if he fits in to any of these categories; he's tidy in possession and presses well, but doesn't really use a killer pass.
That said, I see enough versatility in both Crofts and Stephens that those two would work well in a midfield three with Ince.

I'm one of those that's guilty of 'Ince-loving' and 'Andrews-hating'. Andrews has been much better of late, but I don't think Ince's contribution this season should be overlooked, and I'd like to see him start some of our games instead of Andrews, perhaps in the home games. As has been said, we could do without Ince, Andrews and JFC starting as a midfield three and, thankfully, I don't think we'll see this again this season.

Seasider78

Nov 14, 2004
I'm not sure that Stephens is like Orlandi, he's more like Crofts, in the sense that he's a box-to-box midfielder, that appears to have the full range of attributes: dynamism, presence, good engine, vision, execution.
If we play a midfield three, which we do, then ideally what we need is a defensive-minded player (Ince, Andrews), a more dynamic, box-to-box player (Stephens, Crofts) and a more creative, attacking player (Orlandi, March, Agustein, Lopez). I haven't included JFC in this, because I'm still not sure if he fits in to any of these categories; he's tidy in possession and presses well, but doesn't really use a killer pass.
That said, I see enough versatility in both Crofts and Stephens that those two would work well in a midfield three with Ince.

I'm one of those that's guilty of 'Ince-loving' and 'Andrews-hating'. Andrews has been much better of late, but I don't think Ince's contribution this season should be overlooked, and I'd like to see him start some of our games instead of Andrews, perhaps in the home games. As has been said, we could do without Ince, Andrews and JFC starting as a midfield three and, thankfully, I don't think we'll see this again this season.

The Orlandi comparison was more alluding to the fact he moves the ball really well and provides an often missing attacking link between defence and the strikers. He is frequently looking for the ball and providing an outlet further up the pitch. I think Stephens is a very different player to crofts as the latter is physically strong scores goals but for me is often wayward in his passing and not as technically comfortable or mobile as Stephens. In short we have missed crofts goals but Stephens brings more attacking players into the game which has compensated

Machiavelli

Oct 11, 2013
Fiveways
The Orlandi comparison was more alluding to the fact he moves the ball really well and provides an often missing attacking link between defence and the strikers. He is frequently looking for the ball and providing an outlet further up the pitch. I think Stephens is a very different player to crofts as the latter is physically strong scores goals but for me is often wayward in his passing and not as technically comfortable or mobile as Stephens. In short we have missed crofts goals but Stephens brings more attacking players into the game which has compensated

Agree with all of this, but think both are equally mobile -- or 'box-to-box'.

Kevlar

Dec 20, 2013
spot on for me although I think march is a wide attacking player
with a lack of creative midfielder we have I think wisely adapted our formation lately
not the old fashioned 4 4 2
but the newer 4 2 3 1
which is a Lot like the old 4 4 1 1
with a bit of interchanging amongst old 7's 11's and 10's
still would like to see more of march on left and Lua Lua on right
but the new interchanging 4 2 3 1 combined with Stevens being one of the 2
has led to more goal threat

Tubby-McFat-Fuc

May 2, 2013
Brighton
Nail. head.

Kevlar

Dec 20, 2013
spot on for me although I think march is a wide attacking player
with a lack of creative midfielder we have I think wisely adapted our formation lately
not the old fashioned 4 4 2
but the newer 4 2 3 1
which is a Lot like the old 4 4 1 1
with a bit of interchanging amongst old 7's 11's and 10's
still would like to see more of march on left and Lua Lua on right
but the new interchanging 4 2 3 1 combined with Stevens being one of the 2
has led to more goal threat

replying to Machiavelli

Skint Gull

Jul 27, 2003
Watchin the boats go by
Andrews is a decent player when played as DM, he looked totally lost when played in front of Ince for most of the season hence why he was shit!

As others said, the reason we have scored more is we replaced Ince with another winger/striker, would have been the same outcome if he replaced Andrews instead; 2 DMs is a shit way to play football, especially at home.

As a point of reference, our player of the season for the last 2 years always had a bad game when Gus played too many defensive midfielders alongside him!

Mellotron

I've asked for soup
Jul 2, 2008
Brighton
I do agree with the OP. Ince's positional discipline isn't very "disciplined" so it means the "other" central midfielder (not Andrews, I mean JFC/March/the more attacking CM) has to help out more in defence. I love Ince and he WILL be great but he can be a liability positionally at times.

Dec 29, 2011
Ince doesn't play the right pass quickly enough or often enough. That's why we are doing better without him.

No, the problem isn't Ince, it's just the alternative works better as an attacking threat. You can hardly compare like for like when Ince was playing along JFC and Andrews, while Andrews is playing alongside Stephens, march, lualua and Lingard.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here