Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Sussex Police investigating....

wellquickwoody

Many More Voting Years
NSC Patron
Aug 10, 2007
Melbourne
....the death of a Brighton man/youth in Syria according to BBC news.

Why?

Is that not the job on of the Syrian authorities? Would Sussex Police investigate the death of a Chichester resident in Greenland?

I understand that there are some security concerns in cases like this one in Syria, but would it not be prudent to investigate where necessary, and not publicise the investigation?

Eeyore

Colonel Hee-Haw of Queen's Park
NSC Patron
Apr 5, 2014
Could be a number of reasons. But with things as they are, the Syrian authorities are not best placed to do such things, especially if he was involved in actions connected to the conflict itself. His death may also need to be followed up because of the circumstances that facilitated his arrival in Syria. Thats said, if he was working in a humanitarian roll, then his loved ones deserve more than sketchy detail.

Last edited:

fataddick

Feb 6, 2004
The seaside.
Agree with the OP. How much time and money have UK police forces pissed away investigating stuff like Madeline McCann's disappearance and Princess Diana's death. I suspect it's largely due to the colonialist mentality that other countries' police forces are entirely made up from straw-chewing bumpkins.

TheJasperCo

Jan 20, 2012
Exeter
It's important to investigate why exactly the deceased - a young male in his teens - was travelling to a known war-zone without informing his family.

Bwian

Kiss my (_!_)
Jul 14, 2003
Agree with the OP. How much time and money have UK police forces pissed away investigating stuff like Madeline McCann's disappearance and Princess Diana's death. I suspect it's largely due to the colonialist mentality that other countries' police forces are entirely made up from straw-chewing bumpkins.

Or due to the fact that foreign police forces are corrupt and don't investigate properly so our non corrupt Britcops will do a proper job? Isn't that right Mr Duckenfield?

Footsoldier

Banned
May 26, 2013
Sussex Police flew out to Cambodia in 2006, four officers from Sussex Police's major crime branch spent 10 days in Phnom Penh to help search for 19-year-old backpacker Eddie Gibson from Hove who disappeared in 2004. And 3 flew out last year when remains were found but were not those of Eddie. I never hear of other country police force coming here to help in investigations.

severnside gull

May 16, 2007
By the seaside in West Somerset
It's a fair jolly for a few of Sussex' finest at the taxpayers' expense. Safe to say they wont be going near any fighting.

severnside gull

May 16, 2007
By the seaside in West Somerset
It's a fair jolly for a few of Sussex' finest at the taxpayers' expense. Safe to say they wont be going near any fighting.

edna krabappel

NSC Patron
Jul 7, 2003
A "jolly"? To Syria? Are you sure about that?

FREDBINNEY

Banned
Dec 11, 2009
Deghayes? That name seems familier...is there somebody famous with that name?

Yes , his uncle Omar was held in Guantanamo bay after being detained in Pakistan, he was completely innocent of course, and what a coincidence it is that his nephew has been killed while fighting as a jihadi.

daveinprague

Oct 1, 2009
Prague, Czech Republic
Yes , his uncle Omar was held in Guantanamo bay after being detained in Pakistan, he was completely innocent of course, and what a coincidence it is that his nephew has been killed while fighting as a jihadi.

I did mean apart from his family...
He is one of Britains allies then, if fighting as a jihadi in Syria.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here