Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Korean ferry sinking,thank god the Captain is safe.

Stevie Boy

Nov 2, 2004
Horam
Must have got advice from the Concordia Captain

ExmouthExile

Feb 11, 2005
What happened? Did he trip and "accidently" fall back into a lifeboat?

Last edited:

Triggaaar

Oct 24, 2005
Goldstone
Given the time it took to sink, and the access to it at that time, I am surprised (and saddened) by the low number of people they have rescued.

Husty

Mooderator
Oct 18, 2008
Seems people were told to remain where they were in the ship for some time whilst the boat sank, why on earth weren't they moved up top as soon as it was realised the ship was going down?

Triggaaar

Oct 24, 2005
Goldstone
Actually, saving the captain first isn't a bad shout. He can then give full details of the accident to investigators, before he's re-united with his ship.

vegster

Sanity Clause
May 5, 2008
Given the time it took to sink, and the access to it at that time, I am surprised (and saddened) by the low number of people they have rescued.

They were told to put their their lifebelts on and stay where they were and await instructions. that's what caused the massive loss of life. If they had ordered "abandon ship " more would probably been saved.

drew

Drew
Oct 3, 2006
Burgess Hill
There is still a lot to come out but from some comments from experts, the ship went down very quickly. Think it was said to be about 2 hours from the first sign of trouble but if they thought the ship had stabilised then staying where they were and awaitiing rescue may have been good advice at the time. Think the capsizing and sinking then happened quite quickly. Still, the captain should be one of the last off, not one of the first!

Should add that whatever happens to the captain now pales into insignificance when compared to what has happened to those kids and to their community!

smudge

Up the Albion!
Jul 8, 2003
On the ocean wave
Working in the Maritime Safety business, watching this unravel actually made me angry. Then again, so many of these Captains pay lip service to Safety & think it will never happen to them.
Looks initially like yet another case of completely inadequate reactions from those in command; in fact the only reaction seems to be denial, which is always fatal, time & time again.

The Spanish

Aug 12, 2008
P
Working in the Maritime Safety business, watching this unravel actually made me angry. Then again, so many of these Captains pay lip service to Safety & think it will never happen to them.
Looks initially like yet another case of completely inadequate reactions from those in command; in fact the only reaction seems to be denial, which is always fatal, time & time again.

smudge you must see it day in day out. no one seems to learn anything unless they have someone breathing down their neck.

smudge

Up the Albion!
Jul 8, 2003
On the ocean wave
smudge you must see it day in day out. no one seems to learn anything unless they have someone breathing down their neck.

Not wrong, but it's hard work try to get the message across if there's a complete lack of interest. Never ceases to amaze me that people who spend their working life on ships have no time for safety. Still, things like this unfortunately help to bring the message home.......for a while.

Seagull on the wing

Sep 22, 2010
Hailsham
Whilst to you and me the children should have been the first to be rescued,we are talking about a different culture where everybody is taught to respect and revere their Elders... to us that seems terrible and there is no excuse....but to the Korean people it is different scenario.

The Spanish

Aug 12, 2008
P
Whilst to you and me the children should have been the first to be rescued,we are talking about a different culture where everybody is taught to respect and revere their Elders... to us that seems terrible and there is no excuse....but to the Korean people it is different scenario.

what nonsense

smudge

Up the Albion!
Jul 8, 2003
On the ocean wave
Shocking news about the Vice Principal of the school where the students were from has hung himself. Sad.

Paying the bills

Latest Discussions

Paying the bills

Paying the bills

Paying the bills

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here