Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Stephen Ward: Brighton set up for Premier League

Simster

"the man's an arse"
Jul 7, 2003
Surrey
http://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/0/football/27066484

On-loan defender Stephen Ward says Brighton have the infrastructure in place to be a Premier League club.

The Seagulls have only spent four years in the top flight in their history, between 1979 and 1983.

"It is definitely a club that on the outside is ready for the Premier League," Ward, 28, told BBC Sussex.

"The stadium is probably the best in the Championship and once the training ground is in place it will be a real coup. It will attract players here."

Albion's average league attendance of 27,285 this season is the highest in the Championship and more than 20,000 supporters have renewed their season tickets for next season.

The club are also set to move into a new training ground complex this summer.

"In terms of the size of the club, it is a massive club going in the right direction," left-back Ward added.

"To have facilities like that and the fan base is something every club going into the Premier League needs.

"The squad we have here is very similar to the team I got promoted with at Wolves [in 2009]. Hopefully we can go down a similar path."

Brighton are unbeaten in their last four games and are seventh in the table, only outside of the play-off places on goal difference.

"I think in the last few games we have had more of a ruthless streak about us and there is a good buzz around the place," the Republic of Ireland international said.

"The manager has drilled into us to be more clinical and composed in front of goal and it has paid off.

"A couple of weeks ago people were maybe writing us off to reach the play-offs and we have turned it around. To be in with a real good shout is massive for us.

"If we can do the business over the next four games and get into the play-offs, everyone is relishing the chance after going so close last year."

glasfryn

cleaning up cat sick
Nov 29, 2005
somewhere in Eastbourne
ruthless
now that is a word I like

father_and_son

Jan 23, 2012
Under the Police Box
Can't fault the enthusiasm of his words and he is spot on, I think the club is in a very good position to stay if we did go up, but there's a lot of minutes of football to get through first and the danger we implode again!

Last edited:

maltaseagull

Feb 25, 2009
Zabbar- Malta
I hope we can keep him next season. He is a candidate for player of the season surely?

7:18

Brighton & Hove Albion
Aug 6, 2006
Brighton, England
He has been one of the most consistant players this season, really hope he stays on next year...

shaolinpunk

[Insert witty title here]
Nov 28, 2005
Brighton
"The squad we have here is very similar to the team I got promoted with at Wolves [in 2009]. Hopefully we can go down a similar path."

We.

Maybe I'm reading too much into it, but he's talking as if he'll be on this path should we take it. Near the start of the season wasn't he saying that he'd be interested in returning to Wolves if they got promoted but I'm guessing that if we go up he'll be happy to stay here. Perhaps even if we don't go up.

Rugrat

Mar 13, 2011
Seaford
He has been one of the most consistant players this season, really hope he stays on next year...

Agree, he's my player of season. But, get the feeling he will be back in a Prem squad if we don't make it

wilko1

Feb 23, 2009
Eastbourne
Remember when people complained when Ward signed
Not fit to fill Wayne Bridge's boots was said
Look at the two players season and then decide who got the best deal, us Or Reading?

Feb 3, 2013
Honestly, if we get in the playoffs, we have every chance of winning it, compared to last year, this seasons playoff contenders are much worse and I think our form (which we will have) will take us all the way.

Saint Lennard

Prawn Sarnie Casual
Sep 30, 2004
Seafront shelters
Wordy has really made me eat my words. I had seen him a few times and each time he'd been appalling but I think he is far better than Bridge and he rarely has anything but an outstanding game. I don't think on his displays we can keep him but think he should be one of our prime targets for the summer.

Machiavelli

Oct 11, 2013
Fiveways
Honestly, if we get in the playoffs, we have every chance of winning it, compared to last year, this seasons playoff contenders are much worse and I think our form (which we will have) will take us all the way.

Really? Which of last year's teams are better than QPR (who will have Austin and Morrison in tandem by then, with Hoilett and A.N. Other on the wings) and Wigan?

Feb 14, 2010
Wish he would just keep his mouth shut, and stop stating the obvious. In terms of the size of support, the Albion always has been ready for the top flight. Problem has been a bloke selling the ground and always through history, a side that is nowhere near as good as the support. Nothing changes 1-0 down at Huddersfield.

Albumen

Don't wait for me!
Jan 19, 2010
Brighton - In your face
Wish he would just keep his mouth shut, and stop stating the obvious. In terms of the size of support, the Albion always has been ready for the top flight. Problem has been a bloke selling the ground and always through history, a side that is nowhere near as good as the support. Nothing changes 1-0 down at Huddersfield.

So when he's asked the question if we're ready for the Premiership he should say "No comment"? That'll go down well.

Feb 14, 2010
So when he's asked the question if we're ready for the Premiership he should say "No comment"? That'll go down well.

He can say that the question is irrelevant because the club always has had the fan base but not the players. Until that changes, he can say, its irrelevant

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here