Votes: 7 12.5%
  • Vicente

Votes: 15 26.8%

• Total voters

drew

Drew
Oct 3, 2006
Burgess Hill
In a challenge to the, presumbably, youth oriented voting of the FL125 poll, what exactly is the view of NSC which hopefully will have a broader cross section of voters (or possibly not!).

El Sid

May 10, 2012
West Sussex
In my heart it's Ward. But the best player Brighton have ever had is Mark Lawrenson. Pure class and went on to prove it in the top league.

Pavilionaire

Jul 7, 2003
Frank Worthington was past it when he played for us. More of a cult hero than a great.

B.W.

Jul 5, 2003
Mark Lawrenson is by far and away the best player who ever played for us, and he was in his pomp when he did. Vicente was a great player (obviously), but too injury prone / past his sell-by date with us.

One Teddy Maybank

NSC Patron
Aug 4, 2006
Worthing
Mark Lawrenson is by far and away the best player who ever played for us, and he was in his pomp when he did. Vicente was a great player (obviously), but too injury prone / past his sell-by date with us.

This. Of course Ward is remembered with affection for his exploits in 1976, but after his virus in 78 he was never quite as prolific again, although still providing some great moments.

Lawro however was just brilliant and rarely had a bad game......

chez

Johnny Byrne-The Greatest
Jul 5, 2003
Wherever The Mood Takes Me
It is without a doubt Vicente. He wasn't just the best Brighton player I've ever seen live, he's probably the best player I've seen live full stop.

Yeah he was injury prone but to me that's not the question here. If we are purely going on the best player then it has to be Vicente.

Triggaaar

Oct 24, 2005
Goldstone
In my heart it's Ward. But the best player Brighton have ever had is Mark Lawrenson. Pure class and went on to prove it in the top league.
If the question is 'who was the best player', rather than 'who was the best player for us', then Vicente would be in with a shout for how good he was for Valencia.

Cheshire Cat

The most curious thing..
Lawrenson - no contest. Oozed class and got better after he left.

Worthington had lost his pace, although his vision was sublime
Ward couldn't hack it in top division and failed at Forest
Zamora only just hacked it in top division amongst some also-ran teams

Didn't see the others, so can't comment

Mellor 3 Ward 4

Jul 27, 2004
saaf of the water

That's exactly how I feel too.

Went on to play for the top team in the country at the time, and win countless honours.

golddene

Jul 28, 2012

Tend to agree he was absolute class, so balanced, so skillful, a top premier league player way way ahead of his time truly a superb player. Saying that i remember when he had his achilles done by a tackle from Hoddle i think if my memory serves me right (getting on a bit now so may be a bit muddled it happens when later in life just wait an see ) but when a very young Gary Stevens took his defensive berth in the next match at the Goldstone the transition was seamless, Gary had looked up to Lawro as a role model and based his game on him and he was equally brilliant i will never forget the balance and maturity he showed at 17 (i think he was that age) an amazing debut for one so young and his quality shone through for his entire career with us. We didn't realise at the time just how great a side we had back then and how lucky we were to witness it. We have had some good sides since and also a lot of dross today's team fills me with pride as they are in the same mould as that earlier Mullery Squad.SEAGULLS.

Icy Gull

Back on the rollercoaster
Jul 5, 2003
In terms of potential, it's out of Vicente and lawrenson
But out of performance for the Albion, probably Zamora or ward

Not sure how you come to that conclusion tbh, Lawrenson was massive for us and as far as I remember was playing for Liverpool, when they were the best team in Europe, as first choice very quickly. He may have got even better at Liverpool but he was pretty well world class from the off as soon as he got to Liverpool. Wardy was never world class.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here