Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

David Silva "disrespects" the 96 and their families...?

Easy 10

Brain dead MUG SHEEP
Jul 5, 2003
Location Location
So on Sunday in the Liverpool v Man City game, David Silva, along with all the other players in the country, was wearing a black armband to commemorate the 25th anniversary of the Hillsborough disaster. It becomes apparent that during the course of the game, Silva's armband kept slipping down his arm. So in the end, he discarded in on the touchline.

Result: Full-on Defcon 3 nuclear scouse backlash OUTRAGE against Silva, and (of course) the obligatory Facebook page with YouTube link being set up here -

https://www.facebook.com/KopitesWorld/posts/297678860400870?stream_ref=10

The spontaneous outpouring of bile, abuse and semi-literate drivel eventually leads up to this pearler:

"Funny how it's the non-scousers saying 'It's just an armband'. That's about as stupid as saying 'He just wanted to rule the world' when talking about Hitler".

Wow. Overreaction much ?

Ah - seem to remember a similar incident here with Leon Knight chucking off an armband and getting clobbered by the tad over-sensitive

Phat Baz 68

Get a ****ing life mate !
Apr 16, 2011
:ffsparr:

El Sid

May 10, 2012
West Sussex
I'm sure all Liverpudlians have a 100% record in purchasing poppies every year and observe a minutes silence on 11.11.

Badger

NOT the Honey Badger
NSC Patreon
May 8, 2007
Toronto
If they win the league expect a tosspot explosion of staggering proportions!

This is why I hope Man City win the league.

The sense of entitlement and respect which apparently comes with being a Liverpool supporter is quite irritating.

Diego Napier

Mar 27, 2010
The majority of Liverpool fans are idiots so this doesn't surprise me

As unhinged a response as the facebook reaction.

Rohana

I'm.Actually.Dead.
Feb 16, 2010
Shoreham-By-Sea
Am I the only one who thinks they have a point?

Yes, there's an overreaction but Silva could have stopped all of this from happening by either

A) Pulling the armband back up, hardly impossible.
B) Handing the armband to somebody on the bench rather than chucking it on the floor.

DS knew the occasion, and who he was playing. A little bit of common sense wouldn't have gone amiss.

Easy 10

Brain dead MUG SHEEP
Jul 5, 2003
Location Location
Am I the only one who thinks they have a point?

Yes, there's an overreaction but Silva could have stopped all of this from happening by either

A) Pulling the armband back up, hardly impossible.
B) Handing the armband to somebody on the bench rather than chucking it on the floor.

DS knew the occasion, and who he was playing. A little bit of common sense wouldn't have gone amiss.

He'd pulled it back up several times apparently.

In the "heat of battle" and 2-0 down in the middle of a huge game, I guess his thoughts weren't immediately trained on the friends and families of the 96. He'd worn the armband, it was too loose and proving to be an irritant/distraction, so he dropped it on the touchline.

I think its a stretch to look at that as being a deliberate act of disrespect, but any perceived slight on this subject seems to provoke reactions of complete and utter hysteria amongst some fans.

Husty

Mooderator
Oct 18, 2008
I dunno, this is very out of character for Scousers to behave like this so maybe there is something in it?

edna krabappel

NSC Patreon
Jul 7, 2003
I daresay if you viewed footage of every other game over the weekend, you'd find the odd player who, without thinking, took off or lost the armband.

I'm 100% certain no insult was meant, by Silva or anyone else.

Paul Reids Sock

Nov 3, 2004
Paul Reids boot
How daft, the man was trying to get his team back into the game and it was distracting him. Nothing more, nothing less. It's not disrespect, if it was he would have done that a minute into the game or not worn it at all.

Hills borough was horrific, the cover up just as much so and I completely sympathise with those families and what they must have been through but Christ on a bike that is an over reaction. I'm sure a scouser has never disrespected anyone has he/she?

Paying the bills

Latest Discussions

Paying the bills

Paying the bills

Paying the bills

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here