Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

All things about Gus Poyet - former Brighton and Hove Albion Manager

Billy in Bristol

Mar 25, 2004
Bristol

Wozza

Shite Supporter
Jul 6, 2003
How he would love to be in Martínez's shoes. Yet much as his former Real Zaragoza team-mate probably sympathises, Martínez could do worse than gently remind Poyet that it was only after several seasons of long, hard slog at Swansea and Wigan that he earned the right to manage Everton.

Ha.

Blackadder

Brighton Bhuna Boy
Jul 6, 2003
Haywards Heath
Gus mate. Sunderland have hit the ceiling. Not your fault. Maybe best to do one!

Eeyore

Colonel Hee-Haw of Queen's Park
NSC Patron
Apr 5, 2014

Pavilionaire

Jul 7, 2003
It would appear that Gus didn't do his due diligence on Sunderland. "I didn't come here to rebuild"- they always needed rebuilding Gus, now they need more rebuilding than the West Pier.

Stat Brother

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
West west west Sussex
"I'm going to leave a better club. I think we're a better club from the moment I got here"

I was all set for a glib, patronising comment, but words fail me.

KZNSeagull

Nov 26, 2007
Wolsingham, County Durham
Poor Gus. The Championship is clearly beneath him, yet he cannot get a team promoted from it and cannot prevent a team from being relegated to it. But it's not his fault of course.
Still, more time to play golf for him I guess. I wonder if he will resign on live tv this time?

Seagull on the wing

Sep 22, 2010
Hailsham
It's easier to be wise after the event,but I think quite a few on NSC had a feeling that ....Envy of another club would rise up...dropping hints of a bail out...really don't want a relegation on your CV Gus...time to reflect the grass is not always greener on the other side.

Northstander

Oct 13, 2003
Where does Poyet and his cronies go from here?

Reading the guardian article and just wondering which club will offer him a position, my money is he will go to Leeds for 2014/2015!

Mo Gosfield

Aug 11, 2010
Lets be honest folks...he's been found out. He had plenty of time and every chance of turning Sunderland round and has failed. Neutrals everywhere are expressing surprise that he hasn't rallied them but to a lot of us with plenty of ' Gus mileage ' under the belt its no surprise. Its not sour grapes, bitterness or envy..its just confirmation that the man has an over-inflated opinion of his own ability and lacks the true depth to succeed at the highest level.
We witnessed him heaping blame on his own players at BHA rather than taking responsibility himself. We witnessed him sticking rigidly to a game-plan that worked at the lower level but started to be found out higher up the pyramid. He has a very ordinary back-room staff, particularly at PL level. Quite frankly, he's not as good as he thinks he is.

Commander

NSC Patron
Apr 28, 2004
London
If I was him I would say "I took on a very difficult challenge, I failed, and I am sorry. But I am not leaving this club until we are back where we belong. I will get us back into the top flight". And then do it, which shouldn't be too hard. If he did that he'd have rectified the black mark on his CV and would be hot property again. Problem is, I really can't see him doing that, he'll probably leave saying none of it was his fault and take a job at a Championship club. Which he then HAS to succeed at, or all of a sudden he will be an average journeyman manager instead of one the brightest up and coming managers in the country.

If I was him I would say "I took on a very difficult challenge, I failed, and I am sorry. But I am not leaving this club until we are back where we belong. I will get us back into the top flight". And then do it, which shouldn't be too hard. If he did that he'd have rectified the black mark on his CV and would be hot property again. Problem is, I really can't see him doing that, he'll probably leave saying none of it was his fault and take a job at a Championship club. Which he then HAS to succeed at, or all of a sudden he will be an average journeyman manager instead of one the brightest up and coming managers in the country.

But that would be the actions of a man with character and backbone and high morale fibre,the question was where will poyet go???

The Wizard

Jul 2, 2009
I don't actually hold anything against Gus unlike some but I think he's been found out, his tactical nous is not good enough for the Premiership yet and the style of play he likes to use isn't hugely effective against the much more organised premiership teams. If he stays at Sunderland after they are relegated then he probably will bring them straight back up but that will be expected of him as a club of Sunderland's stature

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here