Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

The Railway Bell

Munchkin

Jul 12, 2005
Littlehampton
What is going on there ?

Seems a reluctance to welcome football fans on match days, a change in landlord has seen a negative stance towards the people that have used the place religiously since The Amex opened.

I'm also led to believe a large group of regulars have been told they are no longer welcome and as a result The Royal Standard has seen a real surge in business lately.

Shame, as I really enjoyed the Bell for the pre match atmosphere and celebratory beer prior to jumping on the train home.

beorhthelm

A. Virgo, Football Genius
Jul 21, 2003
cant really understand a new landlord driving out the regulars here, not like its a dodgy/rough crowd and if he wants to go upmarket after the food trade, dont see that happening in that location. its a railway pub after all, and as a rule they are generally a bit crap, always thought this was a good one that broke the rule.

macky

Dec 28, 2004
The Bell has been a football pub for years way before the Amex
Shame that the landlord has taken that stance Still with all the other pubs round there fighting for business cant see him being there long if he has came straight in and got rid of his regulars

seagurn

Feb 19, 2007
County town
i used to enjoy the royal standard but now is so mobbed have to order 2 at a time!

Freddie Goodwin.

Mar 31, 2007
Brighton
Has anybody got that pic of Albion fans outside the Railway Bell in 1983?

Be nice to see it, especially as it has a rather young & slim me in it.

pottert

Aug 12, 2009
Peacehaven
What is going on there ?

Seems a reluctance to welcome football fans on match days, a change in landlord has seen a negative stance towards the people that have used the place religiously since The Amex opened.

I'm also led to believe a large group of regulars have been told they are no longer welcome and as a result The Royal Standard has seen a real surge in business lately.

Shame, as I really enjoyed the Bell for the pre match atmosphere and celebratory beer prior to jumping on the train home.

The bell was around way before the Amex.

edna krabappel

NSC Patron
Jul 7, 2003
Has anybody got that pic of Albion fans outside the Railway Bell in 1983?

Be nice to see it, especially as it has a rather young & slim me in it.

Only a photo I took of it when it was in the Argus a few weeks ago. At least, I assume this is the one you meant, [MENTION=10773]Freddie Goodwin[/MENTION]. Which one are you? :)

6y8uza2y.jpg

Last edited:

BensGrandad

Jul 13, 2003
Haywards Heath
According to my son who used to drink in The Bell but now drinks in The Standard it is down to the police stating that they would apply for the license to be revoked if they continued to allow drinking outside and also insisted that they stop selling shots on match days. The police apparently want it to serve only away supporters as they can then police it a lot easier.with men deployed at tge station. Whether or not this is true I dont know but that is what he was told by one of the doormen.

Freddie Goodwin.

Mar 31, 2007
Brighton
Only a photo I took of it when it was in the Argus a few weeks ago. At least, I assume this is the one you meant, [MENTION=10773]Freddie Goodwin[/MENTION]. Which one are you? :)

6y8uza2y.jpg

Thanks, bottom left with the B Cal shirt. Recognise me now?

somerset

Jul 14, 2003
Yatton, North Somerset
According to my son who used to drink in The Bell but now drinks in The Standard it is down to the police stating that they would apply for the license to be revoked if they continued to allow drinking outside and also insisted that they stop selling shots on match days. The police apparently want it to serve only away supporters as they can then police it a lot easier.with men deployed at tge station. Whether or not this is true I dont know but that is what he was told by one of the doormen.

Away supporters???? ...effin Nazi coppers.......so typical of that blinkered breed.....if true.

Since the Amex opened, drinking is always kept behind the barrier, I know of no trouble in there to my knowledge, ..... still they will go bust relying on away fans business....one or two teams a season will fill it in this division......

Keeping The Dream Alive.

Naming Rights
May 28, 2008
WSU
The new landlord has a real creepiness about him. Said to me he's planning on setting up house music nights in there on Saturdays.

surrey jim

Not in Surrey
Aug 2, 2005
Bevendean

Are the police allowed to dictate which pubs are for home fans and which for away fans? I would have thought that was a decision of the landlord. [MENTION=249]edna krabappel[/MENTION] can you confirm?

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here