Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

96 deaths at Hillesborough but what about Bradford and the Ibrox disaster?

Neil

Eastie
Aug 27, 2010
Langney
Is it me but over the years there has been plenty of rememborances about Hillsborough but I don't remember seeing as much about those supporters that lost their lives in that terrible fire at Bradford or even the Ibrox Disaster

edna krabappel

NSC Patron
Jul 7, 2003
No need for ten pages. Just read one of the many other threads on this subject.

MarioOrlandi

Jun 4, 2013
With regards to Ibrox, Rangers redeveloped their ground to make it all seater and vastly improved the exits. Remember this was caused by Celtic fans who leaving early tried to return against the flow of people to celebrate an equaliser. With regards to Bradford, the Government immediately launched an inquiry which consequently outlawed wooden stands. The writing was on the wall with these two disasters and crowd control, Hillsborough confirmed it. The Taylor Report forced football clubs to either rebuild their stadiums or make their existing stadiums all seater. Hillsborough would have been settled many years ago but for the systematic cover up of events by the Police.

dougdeep

May 9, 2004
SUNNY SEAFORD
Won't somebody thing of the pedants?

Seagull over Canaryland

Feb 8, 2011
Norfolk
All were terrible tragedies and should never be forgotten. However I would suggest that the Bradford and Ibrox incidents both had more straightforward causes that gave answers to the victims families as to why the incidents happened, and that necessary remedial actions were taken within a reasonable timescale. I am sure they are appropriately remembered within those communities - but maybe not with the profile and scale that Hillsborough still commands.

Hillsborough will not diminish because of the repeated failure over the last 25 years to get to the full truth, compounded by the growing whiff of conspiracy which is gradually being vindicated by emerging evidence of a Police cover up. The families are entitled to get answers and to seek accountability. Plus the media and politicians have ensured the profile of Hillsborough has remained so high.

Quite apart from the rights or wrongs of each incident - as football and sports fans it is important that we acknowledge the legacy from these incidents is safer stadiums like The Amex, where rightly everyone should be able to attend, enjoy the game in decent conditions and go home safely after. Yes we get nostalgic for some of the old football 'grounds' but looking back many were unfit as places of entertainment, no wonder crowds were dwindling.

fat old seagull

Sep 8, 2005
Rural Ringmer
Or the Titanic, not to mention Bambi's mum! What a silly thread FCS, it's the anniversary of the Hillsborough tragedy. Why would any other be on our mind at this time. ???

martin tyler

Jan 25, 2013
I think this is different due to the fact basically it has been covered up for 25 years and the dead blamed for their own death. All the events mentioned are tradgic and temembered in their own way. This one gets more limelight as it has an on going campaign for justice

beorhthelm

A. Virgo, Football Genius
Jul 21, 2003
Why would any other be on our mind at this time. ???

i think the point is that no one ever seems to have their minds on the other disasters. less controversial obviously, but no less sad for those involved.

Bwian

Kiss my (_!_)
Jul 14, 2003
i think the point is that no one ever seems to have their minds on the other disasters. less controversial obviously, but no less sad for those involved.

Put that down to the families of the 96 who will not let us forget-and rightly so. They have continued fighting for the truth and justice for 25 years.

Leighgull

Dec 27, 2012
And the nomination for most mean spirited thread of the day goes to....

Mew

Aug 16, 2011
Or the Titanic, not to mention Bambi's mum! What a silly thread FCS, it's the anniversary of the Hillsborough tragedy. Why would any other be on our mind at this time. ???

Err, it is the anniversary of the titanic sinking. And the boston marathon bomb. And a massive car bomb in Iraq.

ExmouthExile

Feb 11, 2005
I can't be 100% certain, but i'm pretty sure there was a minutes' silence in football grounds up and down the country on the 25th anniversary of Bradford.

Hiney

Super Moderator
Helpful Moderator
Jul 5, 2003
Penrose, Cornwall
With regards to Ibrox, Rangers redeveloped their ground to make it all seater and vastly improved the exits. Remember this was caused by Celtic fans who leaving early tried to return against the flow of people to celebrate an equaliser. With regards to Bradford, the Government immediately launched an inquiry which consequently outlawed wooden stands. The writing was on the wall with these two disasters and crowd control, Hillsborough confirmed it. The Taylor Report forced football clubs to either rebuild their stadiums or make their existing stadiums all seater. Hillsborough would have been settled many years ago but for the systematic cover up of events by the Police.

It was Rangers fans. The initial thought was that it was fans leaving (after Celtic scored) who then turned round when Rangers equalised. The official enquiry found that all the fans were moving in the same direction and it was perhaps one person who fell and the subsequent pile-up caused the deaths. Rangers were sued as a result.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here