Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Goalkeeping Problems...

Munkfish

May 1, 2006
With Koosh potentially leaving us in the summer, looks like our youth keepers are doing fairly well, Grant Smith had a worldie down at Bognor by all accounts, they won 1-0.

I can't see youth being the answer, but its good to see our young players out on loan, getting first team action.

deletebeepbeepbeep

May 12, 2009
Not that bothered if he goes to be honest there will be a tonne of decent Championship keepers delighted to play in our first team next season. And that's all he is, a decent Championship keeper.

Not that bothered with Ankergren in goal either people forget he did a good job for us in League 1.

Greg Bobkin

Silver Seagull
May 22, 2012
Not that bothered if he goes to be honest there will be a tonne of decent Championship keepers delighted to play in our first team next season. And that's all he is, a decent Championship keeper.

Not that bothered with Ankergren in goal either people forget he did a good job for us in League 1.

All of this, plus I would extend it to decent PL squad keepers - which is how PIG came to us in the first place. Players move on; who's to say that any replacement won't be better?

ofco8

May 18, 2007
Brighton

Except we are now Championship not League 1. Am worried about the goalie situation in short term.

TSB

Captain Hindsight
Jul 7, 2003
Lansdowne Place, Hove

Nah. That's not all he is. He's one of the very best in the league.
The vast majority of Champ keepers are bang average and the ones that aren't are unlikely to join.

deletebeepbeepbeep

May 12, 2009
Except we are now Championship not League 1. Am worried about the goalie situation in short term.

If we miss out on the playoffs it will be because of our performance over the season not because Ankergren, a respectable Championship keeper, has been in goal for a short time.

deletebeepbeepbeep

May 12, 2009
Nah. That's not all he is. He's one of the very best in the league.
The vast majority of Champ keepers are bang average and the ones that aren't are unlikely to join.

Can't agree with that, think he is bang average considering some of the other goalies in the league!

deletebeepbeepbeep

May 12, 2009
I really don't see how you've drawn that conclusion.
19 clean sheets, 17 of which (i think) are his.

How many shots does he face on target per match in comparison to other Championship keepers?

Anyway, I'm not knocking him- I'm just suggesting he wont be so difficult to replace as some are suggesting.

Reading have got two excellent keepers knocking about for starters.

TSB

Captain Hindsight
Jul 7, 2003
Lansdowne Place, Hove
How many shots does he face on target per match in comparison to other Championship keepers?

Anyway, I'm not knocking him- I'm just suggesting he wont be so difficult to replace as some are suggesting.

No idea. A similar number to the other top half clubs I'd imagine.
Don't see Federici as being any better and can't think who the other is.

Acker79

NSC Patron
Nov 15, 2008
Brighton

According to http://www.whoscored.com/Regions/25...TeamStatistics/England-Championship-2013-2014 We average 13.7 shots per game, which is mid table.

According to my records (taken from the official club site) we average 12.86 shots per game, and face 11.76 shots per game.

Last edited:

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here