Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Forest and FFP

Giraffe

VERY part time moderator
Helpful Moderator
NSC Patreon
Aug 8, 2005
Now that it seems very likely they won't be going up it will be interesting to see what happens with FFP.

They should be buggered, totally buggered. But my gut feeling is the football league are going to be incredibly weak on this, and any penalties will be extremely lame.

How much scope have they got to penalise? Are the rules laid down very strictly. It should be clear how much you will be penalised for going over the £8m loss, but I doubt it is.

Surf's Up

Jul 17, 2011
Here
I thought they'd found a way around the current rules via one of their Chairman's companys somewhat generous "sponsorship" deal?

Rugrat

Mar 13, 2011
Seaford
Now that it seems very likely they won't be going up it will be interesting to see what happens with FFP.

They should be buggered, totally buggered. But my gut feeling is the football league are going to be incredibly weak on this, and any penalties will be extremely lame.

How much scope have they got to penalise? Are the rules laid down very strictly. It should be clear how much you will be penalised for going over the £8m loss, but I doubt it is.

Fairly certain they'll get away with it by playing the sponsorship card. It remains to be seen how much the FL challenge it or even close it off. I'm not that optimistic and still think FFP is a crock of shit the way it's structured (not the intent)

Icy Gull

Back on the rollercoaster
Jul 5, 2003
Fairly certain they'll get away with it by playing the sponsorship card. It remains to be seen how much the FL challenge it or even close it off. I'm not that optimistic and still think FFP is a crock of shit the way it's structured (not the intent)

I think TB may pursue the FA should this happen.

Bwian

Kiss my (_!_)
Jul 14, 2003

KZNSeagull

Nov 26, 2007
Wolsingham, County Durham
The rules are clear. Break them and don't go up, transfer embargo, which includes extending contracts, until such time as they prove that they are FFP compliant.

The rules re sponsorship have yet to be tested, but all clubs have been sent guidelines. A panel from the FL will assess each one in turn to see whether they are getting fair market value or not. How they go about this, i do not know, but would assume that they would look at other clubs in the Championship, see that they are only getting x for their sponsorship, so if a club is getting much more than x, that would not be fair market value.

I see the clubs were discussing FFP last week with the FL again. We will have to wait and see what happens I guess, but it is a huge test of the FL's resolve.

Notters

Oct 20, 2003
Guiseley
I think they have made it clear how much they'll get fined? Thought it was like for like for everything over £8 million?

Giraffe

VERY part time moderator
Helpful Moderator
NSC Patreon
Aug 8, 2005
I just think they needed to make it much more black and white. The rules are definitely still open to manipulation and I think the penalties are not clear enough. I predict that Forest are not penalised at all. Or if they are it will be a transfer embargo which would not harm them that much, they may even benefit from having a settled squad, much as Leicester have done this year.

Giraffe

VERY part time moderator
Helpful Moderator
NSC Patreon
Aug 8, 2005
We will have to wait and see what happens I guess, but it is a huge test of the FL's resolve.

When have the Football League ever shown any teeth towards a club as big as Forest? I can't see it happening.

Everest

Me
Jul 5, 2003
Southwick
I think they have made it clear how much they'll get fined? Thought it was like for like for everything over £8 million?

Fines are only imposed for teams that are promoted to the PL.

father_and_son

Jan 23, 2012
Under the Police Box
They only lost £2 million more than us in the most recent financial year.

But this was the financial year that every one pushed through the costs ahead of FFP coming in properly. We nearly doubled our losses but I'm sure that was more down to creative accountancy and rushing invoices through than any change in the cost or income base.

No doubt other clubs results this year will bear no similarity to last year too.

Simster

"the man's an arse"
Jul 7, 2003
Surrey
They only lost £2 million more than us in the most recent financial year.

The most recent financial year doesn't mean a lot because FFP doesn't take affect until next season. Consequently any club with a half decent accountant (like ours) will have loaded all possible losses into the last set of results and the next set of accounts coming up - stuff like front loading depreciation on buildings etc.

We won't get a clear picture until two years from now. My concern is that - if Forest are still in this division by then - their owners will have lost interest and buggered off back home, leaving the club in a mess with players on massive wages and huge FPP fines to pay.

Triggaaar

Oct 24, 2005
Goldstone
Do football fans think FFP is a good idea? If so, how do we football fans put pressure on the FL to stick to the rules?

Rugrat

Mar 13, 2011
Seaford
I think TB may pursue the FA should this happen.

Him and others ... but there will likely be an opposing lobby. Somewhere there will be a compromise but the way it is now it's too restrictive and just cant see it holding up under a legal challenge.

Rugrat

Mar 13, 2011
Seaford
There's a line in the FFP stuff which mentions exaggerated sponsorship deals. So they won't be able to get around it that way.

Except that there is no RRP on Sponsorship so it will be a question of degrees.

Plus if I want to sponsor my favourite club and it's my decision to pay (say) £20M for the privilege I really can't see how the FL can stop me, even if it isn't "the going rate"

It's a can of worms for sure

Paying the bills

Latest Discussions

Paying the bills

Paying the bills

Paying the bills

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here