Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Poll: British, English, Sussex or don't care?

Are you British, English or Sussex?

• British

Votes: 30 21.7%
  • English

Votes: 59 42.8%
  • Other (e.g. Scottish, Welsh etc)

Votes: 3 2.2%
  • Sussex

Votes: 18 13.0%
  • Don't Care

Votes: 28 20.3%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

Surf's Up

Jul 17, 2011
Here
Acording to the results of a survey announced today only 35% of the people surveyed said they were very proud to be British. This figure was down from 43% when the same survey was conducted in 2003. Do you feel very proud about your national or local identity or maybe you just dont care?

Frutos

Helpful Moderator
NSC Patreon
May 3, 2006
Northumberland
I'm from Sussex - I wouldn't say I'm proud of it, seeing as I didn't have a say in the matter, but I feel more of a connection with Sussex than with the rest of the island, so it's how I choose to describe myself.

Barrel of Fun

Abort, retry, fail
So do I, especially hearing statements like that from guilty posh boys like yourself.

You are such a wally.

Guilty? What do I have to feel guilty about?

It's amazing. Apparently I don't stand a chance of being a well rounded individual, but you, being a working class boy (brought up in the slums fearing for your life from those bloody foreigners), 'living the dream in the city', boasting about liquid lunches and letching over milfs, is the more rounded individual?

Last edited:

Herr Tubthumper

NSC Patreon
Jul 11, 2003
The Fatherland
As I have said before I find nationality a load of nonsense and above all I do not want to be defined, or even more importantly have a culture placed upon me, by my birthplace. This just seems daft and arbitrary. And why on earth would I be proud of being born somewhere? I had no input or say in the matter...so how can I be proud of it?

Herr Tubthumper

NSC Patreon
Jul 11, 2003
The Fatherland
You are such a wally.

It's amazing. Apparently I don't stand a chance of being a well rounded individual, but you, being a working class boy (brought up in the slums fearing for your life from those bloody foreigners), 'living the dream in the city', boasting about liquid lunches and letching over milfs, is the more rounded individual?

Snigger

Notters

Oct 20, 2003
Guiseley
I maintain that you can't be proud to be from somewhere, it's completely illogical, and if you are you probably don't understand the meaning of "proud".

edit: I see [MENTION=409]Herr Tubthumper[/MENTION] got there before me.

Having said that, I love Brighton, and Sussex, and England, and Britain, and Europe, and the Earth... and I don't like the current wave of divisiveness.

Seagull1989

Oct 31, 2011
Most definitely British, I think royal wedding and Olympics rekindled national pride. I don't really see what there is to be proud about being just English. Its Britain that has the rich and proud history not England.

Husty

Mooderator
Oct 18, 2008
Eh.

I think it's always worth comparing this data to data from other countries. What do people in France and Germany think of their nation? What do people in Sweden think of their nation? How do we compare to Americans? What about the North Koreans or the Chinese?

I think it's a POSITIVE thing that many people are not proud of the country, shows that we know there is plenty we could be doing better and we all have ideas of what that might be. Better than thinking all is well with the world when it isn't. I think in any sane world response to such a question is always going to be poor.

Only thing of interest really is how it compares to other nations. I reckon in America it's really high, upwards of 70%, but does that make us a worse nation than America? If you ask me it just shows a much higher level of naivety. They have much higher rates of poverty than our nation and I certainly wouldn't want to live there when it came down to it. What about in a nation like Switzerland or Sweden which are regularly held up as nations with high levels of freedom and living standards, are they all much more proud of their nations than us and all a lot happier? I wouldn't be surprised if a poll there came out similar to us.

Albumen

Don't wait for me!
Jan 19, 2010
Brighton - In your face
You are such a wally.

Ouch.

The Spanish

Aug 12, 2008
P
As I have said before I find nationality a load of nonsense and above all I do not want to be defined, or even more importantly have a culture placed upon me, by my birthplace. This just seems daft and arbitrary. And why on earth would I be proud of being born somewhere? I had no input or say in the matter...so how can I be proud of it?

thats ridiculous. why try to derail the argument by saying its a quirk of fate where you were born in terms of geography. of course thats a fact. but the question of belonging to a culture, and society, that is markedly different from others, creates an association whether you like it or not. and the question is do you like it, or not?

you might think you are Mr Euro and see no differences at all between anyone, and claim to have no more common ground with someone from England, Germany or Timbuktu, but thats just a stance. But its really not true is it? admitting that doesnt make you less progressive or worldly, in fact the opposite. relax about it.

Paying the bills

Latest Discussions

Paying the bills

Paying the bills

Paying the bills

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here