Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Notebook problem - help appreciated

dingodan

Feb 16, 2011
Hi, I am hoping someone on here knows how to fix a problem I am having with my notebook (Sony Vaio Pro Book 13)

Basically, somehow, I have changed the way my touchpad works. When I move my fingers up and down the touchpad, instead of moving my cursor (which is nowhere to be seen), it scrolls the screen up and down.

When I plug in a usb mouse my cursor appears and operates as normal, AND when I log in as guest it operates as normal too, so I am convinced that I have changed my touchpad setting for my user via some kind of shortcut, and now I don't know how to turn it back, and it's a nightmare, it's only thanks to the touchscreen that I can still work this thing!

I know that the function button (Fn) + F1 turns the touchpad on and off, this is not the problem, it's on, it's just working funky and I need it to go back!

If anyone knows how I did this, or can undo it, please help!

Thanks.

dingodan

Feb 16, 2011
Not sure if serious.

But yes I have.

Acker79

NSC Patron
Nov 15, 2008
Brighton
Down in the right corner by the clock you should have an icon that looks like
images
(the square with two smaller squares under it - might have to click the arrow to show more icons to find it)

Right click on it, click on pointing device settings (or whatever opens it). It brings up device settings. You might need to go to the 'device settings' tab then click on 'settings' under the list, where it gives you lots of options for the touch pad. At least that's how I have set up the touchpad on my new laptop.

I like being able to scroll on my touchpad, it only does that when I touch the side of the touchpad, though.

I think you can also go to control panel > devices > mouse to bring up that menu as well as right clicking the icon.

dingodan

Feb 16, 2011
Down in the right corner by the clock you should have an icon that looks like
images
(the square with two smaller squares under it - might have to click the arrow to show more icons to find it)

Right click on it, click on pointing device settings (or whatever opens it). It brings up device settings. You might need to go to the 'device settings' tab then click on 'settings' under the list, where it gives you lots of options for the touch pad. At least that's how I have set up the touchpad on my new laptop.

I like being able to scroll on my touchpad, it only does that when I touch the side of the touchpad, though.

I think you can also go to control panel > devices > mouse to bring up that menu as well as right clicking the icon.

Thanks for the reply, I should have said, I have had a look in the device settings and the real problem is I don't really know what I have done. Btw when I right click on the touchpad tray icon the only option it gives me is to turn it off, so to change settings I have to go via control panel.

To give a bit more detail, my touchpad has always annoyed me because, like yours, when used at the sides it would scroll (I found that annoying) but now, its only scrolling, the whole touchpad, and also, I CAN move the mouse pointer, but only while I hold down the right mouse button at the same time! It's almost as though I have inverted something, none of the settings seem to relate though, I can turn scrolling and pinch zoom on and off apparently, and turn off the touchpad itself but the settings don't seem to have anything comprehensive which cover the changes that I have somehow made!

Acker79

NSC Patron
Nov 15, 2008
Brighton
Do any of your keys have any icon on it that looks like a mouse or a mouse with a line through it? Try that key (might require you holding the Fn key, too)

If it's an older or well-used touch pad, it might just be that it has broken, and you might need to get it repaired in a shop.

dingodan

Feb 16, 2011
Ok I can now simplify my problem.

When I move two fingers over the trackpad my mouse moves. When I move one finger over the trackpad my mouse does not move, the scree scrolls.

I am almost certain that by default (and normally) it is supposed to do the reverse, move the pointer when one finger is moved on the pad, and scroll when two fingers are on the pad.

So - my problem is that my trackpad settings have inverted.

I remember when using a desktop mouse, sometimes I would accidentally invert things so that when I clicked the left mouse button the right button menu would come up, I think this is easy to do, I used to just click around with my mouse and that would fix it, but with the trackpad I'm not sure what I have to do to fix it.

I hope someone recognizes what I am talking about!

dingodan

Feb 16, 2011
Do any of your keys have any icon on it that looks like a mouse or a mouse with a line through it? Try that key (might require you holding the Fn key, too)

If it's an older or well-used touch pad, it might just be that it has broken, and you might need to get it repaired in a shop.

No keys like that, and the mouse isn't off so much as it is being controlled differently (in reverse I think)

It's not broken because when I log in as a guest all is normal. Thanks for your help!

This is driving me nutts!

happypig

Staring at the rude boys
May 23, 2009
Eastbourne
Start -->Control Panel-->Mouse-->Device Settings-->Highlight "Synaptics Touch Pad"-->Settings

Might be something in there (look for Pinch/zoom or the setting for what area of the trackpad works as a scroller).

Alternatively, boot into safe mode and reinstall touchpad driver.

dingodan

Feb 16, 2011
Start -->Control Panel-->Mouse-->Device Settings-->Highlight "Synaptics Touch Pad"-->Settings

Might be something in there (look for Pinch/zoom or the setting for what area of the trackpad works as a scroller).

Alternatively, boot into safe mode and reinstall touchpad driver.

Thanks! I checked those settings and nothing helped.

BUT, I just closed down a program which was running "touchpad enhancements", and ALL WORKS AGAIN!!!

I have disabled "touchpad enhancements" on startup, should be fine now!

Thanks for you help!

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here