Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

burger stalls

aliakbanrafsanjali

Dec 29, 2012
Oh lucky you! You obviously live within an acceptable distance? Where as some of us enjoy making a day of it, food and drinks are part of it! Would love the approach's to be part of our day and to be more of the pre-match build up! Rather than to be shuffled inside to have same old options at a non competitive price. I go for the whole experience not just the match! And would love to have a choice.

The Birdman

Nov 30, 2008
Haywards Heath
I liked the old days when you have vendors selling scarves flags badges old Programmes it adds to the atmosphere and they could be set up by the club! And the smell of onions. However I not bought one since I saw a seller with his nose dripping into the burgers.

RexCathedra

Aurea Mediocritas
Jan 14, 2005
Vacationland

Eeyore

Colonel Hee-Haw of Queen's Park
NSC Patron
Apr 5, 2014
The AMEX pies are depleting my finances and expanding my midriff. I had two yesterday, although I did once have three. I've tried my best, but the only relief is when the WSU runs out before kick-off, and half time. Which isn't that rare.

I liked the old days when you have vendors selling scarves flags badges old Programmes it adds to the atmosphere and they could be set up by the club! And the smell of onions. However I not bought one since I saw a seller with his nose dripping into the burgers.

Onion smell in the air, walking to Withdean through the footpath from PP Station, seeing the ground under lights.

Smashing, marvelous.

I'd like a noodle stand :thumbsup:

I'm assuming you never tried the noodles at The Amex.

Seven and a half quid to watch someone pour boiling water into a plastic mug half the size of a pot noodle.

Haven't paid for anything to eat since at the stadium, and won't either.

The AMEX pies are depleting my finances and expanding my midriff. I had two yesterday, although I did once have three. I've tried my best, but the only relief is when the WSU runs out before kick-off, and half time. Which isn't that rare.

You can imagine my excitement when I scratched off the relevant bit of my lottery ticket prior to yesterday's game to find I had won a pie!

You can imagine my disappointment when I read the small print on the back to find that in reality the prize was merely the opportunity to buy a pie at 50% discount. Youngest Potting interpreted the prize as permitting me to go and demand half a pie for nothing.

Notters

Oct 20, 2003
Guiseley
There are already several stalls selling scarves, flags and badges :shrug:

Lush

Mods' Pet
Good luck to the independent burger stalls for satisfying market demand for hot food outside the stadium.

There's probably a market demand for people selling cheap bags of crisps out of boxes too, but I wouldn't like to see those either.

Perhaps the independent burger vans would like to contribute to the marketing costs of the club in bringing customers to their door on a match day?

Tom Hark Preston Park

Will Post For Cash
Jul 6, 2003
There's probably a market demand for people selling cheap bags of crisps out of boxes too, but I wouldn't like to see those either.

Perhaps the independent burger vans would like to contribute to the marketing costs of the club in bringing customers to their door on a match day?

If it prompts the club into doing something similar on the catering front outside the stadium (they've managed to stick in a couple of discrete merchandise vans after all) then the independent burger stalls will have served a useful purpose. Don't really want to see money going in the direction of the stalls or indeed the Swan, rather than the club, but they need to provide what people want, where they want it. Where's the legal challenge on some of these petty planning restrictions? How many of them are actually nonsense? Who exactly would it harm if they sold beer or noodles or chips outside the ground, using the existing catering contractors if need be? I'm sure they'll get round to it one day, and the sight of independent catering outlets doing a roaring trade outside the stadium on match days might just bring about that day a bit sooner. IMHO, like.

The Large One

Who's Next?
Jul 7, 2003
97.2FM
If it prompts the club into doing something similar on the catering front outside the stadium (they've managed to stick in a couple of discrete merchandise vans after all) then the independent burger stalls will have served a useful purpose. Don't really want to see money going in the direction of the stalls or indeed the Swan, rather than the club, but they need to provide what people want, where they want it. Where's the legal challenge on some of these petty planning restrictions? How many of them are actually nonsense? Who exactly would it harm if they sold beer or noodles or chips outside the ground, using the existing catering contractors if need be? I'm sure they'll get round to it one day, and the sight of independent catering outlets doing a roaring trade outside the stadium on match days might just bring about that day a bit sooner. IMHO, like.

The burger vans at Falmer Station are outside the club's control.

The planning restrictions for catering were self-imposed. Once they're in place, they still have to make a case for them not being there. Have they tried? Don't know.

They had sideshows (not burger vans) outside the stadium for the women's international. Just under 9,000 people turned up (one-third of the usual crowd), but the attractions caused a blockage on the way from the station to the stadium. It may be get-roundable, but only if you send people who don't want to go to the burger vans into a narrow funnel past them.

Tom Hark Preston Park

Will Post For Cash
Jul 6, 2003
The burger vans at Falmer Station are outside the club's control.

The planning restrictions for catering were self-imposed. Once they're in place, they still have to make a case for them not being there. Have they tried? Don't know.

They had sideshows (not burger vans) outside the stadium for the women's international. Just under 9,000 people turned up (one-third of the usual crowd), but the attractions caused a blockage on the way from the station to the stadium. It may be get-roundable, but only if you send people who don't want to go to the burger vans into a narrow funnel past them.

Must be a few revenue-spinning options for the club to explore, I'd have thought. Wouldn't take much outlay or imagination to turn that big field by the stadium approach into an albion bierkellar for the day, certainly in the spring/summer months. Stick up a tent, sell Harveys and Kronie and burgers and pies to those who might fancy an alternative to the concreteness of the concourse. People could smoke there, and/or meet their mates with tickets in different parts of the ground without having to join that soul-sapping queue for Dicks Bar. Wandering beer sellers with a couple of gallons of cooking lager strapped to their back and a squirty hose type thing? The possibilities are not exactly endless, but they could make a start on them.

Guinness Boy

Tofu eating wokerati
Helpful Moderator
NSC Patron
Jul 23, 2003
Up and Coming Sunny Portslade
How long before the hot dog and burger stalls with hopefully chips appear there?

While we're at it we could take the roof off the West, restrict it to 750 people and move it a mile from the pitch. The South could be our uncovered "end" with the more middle class of our fans relocating to the back of the North. We could re-sign Doug Loft and have most chants started off by a baldie nutter assistant manager banging the dugouts. Lastly there just aren't enough trees around are there?

The Large One

Who's Next?
Jul 7, 2003
97.2FM
Must be a few revenue-spinning options for the club to explore, I'd have thought. Wouldn't take much outlay or imagination to turn that big field by the stadium approach into an albion bierkellar for the day, certainly in the spring/summer months. Stick up a tent, sell Harveys and Kronie and burgers and pies to those who might fancy an alternative to the concreteness of the concourse. People could smoke there, and/or meet their mates with tickets in different parts of the ground without having to join that soul-sapping queue for Dicks Bar. Wandering beer sellers with a couple of gallons of cooking lager strapped to their back and a squirty hose type thing? The possibilities are not exactly endless, but they could make a start on them.

The big field owned by University of Brighton who didn't want us there in the first place, wrecking their rugby pitch?

Or the big field known as Village Way South which is a sheep grazing field, and inside the South Downs National Park?

Tom Hark Preston Park

Will Post For Cash
Jul 6, 2003
The big field owned by University of Brighton who didn't want us there in the first place, wrecking their rugby pitch?

Times change. Cheapo protective mats can be laid down, as they doubtless will be for Rod Stewart on the hallowed Amex pitch. The Uni might well welcome the chance to swell their coffers. As they do with the car parking.

Don't really care overly either way, just think the club are missing a major trick.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here