Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Could the North Stand

Bez

Jul 14, 2003
Be unreserved seating, this could then allow you to group together with other singers, also if you bring some mates they could sit with you. Maybe people would arrive early to get a spot and the atmosphere would get going earlier.

Probably a million reasons as to why it can't happen but it could be worthwhile trying it for a pre season game.

D

Deleted User X18H

Be unreserved seating, this could then allow you to group together with other singers, also if you bring some mates they could sit with you. Maybe people would arrive early to get a spot and the atmosphere would get going earlier.

Probably a million reasons as to why it can't happen but it could be worthwhile trying it for a pre season game.

This could be more entertaining than a lot of games.

Looked like plenty of empty seats during ssn reports???

Guy Fawkes

The voice of treason
Sep 29, 2007

Didn't the club say before that for that to happen then the capacity would have to be reduced otherwise a few fans could be left struggling to spot one of the last few spare seats left? (not a problem of late with the North Stand looking so empty.

Besides, wasn't the North stand always meant to be the noisy stand, yet there only ever seems to be a handful of them singing (and occasionally another handful singing something different further along?)

Opposition fans manage to be noisy at the Amex without having unreserved seating, it just seems to me that the NS are making excuses for being rubbish at creating an atmosphere

Prince Monolulu

Everything in Moderation
Oct 2, 2013
The Race Hill
Not sure why the OP feels the North Stand should receive such special attention. There are 4 main stands, all of which play their part in one way or another and at away games we manage to get things going without the need to herd in our little gangs.

Dan Aitch

May 31, 2013
Besides, wasn't the North stand always meant to be the noisy.

Opposition fans manage to be noisy at the Amex without having unreserved seating, it just seems to me that the NS are making excuses for being rubbish at creating an atmosphere

I know what you mean but it seems a little unfair to expect one small stand to create 'an atmosphere' when there are 22000 other people in the ground. A few of us tried really hard to get some noise out of the ESL yesterday and it was a waste of bloody time.

If everyone joined in, everyone would enjoy the atmosphere we're all desperate to witness.

Goldstone Rapper

Rediffusion PlayerofYear
Jan 19, 2009
BN3 7DE
Didn't the club say before that for that to happen then the capacity would have to be reduced otherwise a few fans could be left struggling to spot one of the last few spare seats left? (not a problem of late with the North Stand looking so empty.

Besides, wasn't the North stand always meant to be the noisy stand, yet there only ever seems to be a handful of them singing (and occasionally another handful singing something different further along?)

Ushers would solve this problem.

Bodian

May 3, 2012
Cumbria

Don't know how away fans are treated at the Amex, but at most grounds, although you get a set number - it's effectively 'sit (or stand) where you want'. Which means basically that those who wish to sit, go towards the middle and front. Personally, I always stand - so I generally go towards the back third, which is also where it's always noisiest. And I don't think this is co-incidence.

If we did have unreserved seating, it would lead to people choosing where they want to go - which is then likely to lead to those who wish to sing and shout migrating to where those surrounding them feel it's acceptable. And indeed, it generates more noise, because you join in more than if you are on the periphery.

If I go with the missus, we sit towards the middle, and I don't get nearly so involved.

Husty

Mooderator
Oct 18, 2008

It's customary to leave 15% of seats unsold in unreserved sections, an issue when the stand is sold out by season ticket holders.

Acker79

NSC Patreon
Nov 15, 2008
Brighton
One problem is that there appears to be two groups of singers who refuse to sing the same song at the same time. I don't see unreserved seating as solving that rivalry.

Guy Fawkes

The voice of treason
Sep 29, 2007
I know what you mean but it seems a little unfair to expect one small stand to create 'an atmosphere' when there are 22000 other people in the ground. A few of us tried really hard to get some noise out of the ESL yesterday and it was a waste of bloody time.

If everyone joined in, everyone would enjoy the atmosphere we're all desperate to witness.

So the North Stand at the Goldstone should have been silent too because thge rest of the ground didn't really make any noise.

The SWC sounded louder than the NS at times yesterday and there are far fewer fans gathered there. - They don't try to drown out a song by one group and start a different one at the same time as happens when the ones under the box start one and those in the middle ignore them and start something different (yet don't start one when those under the box are quiet) - seems very odd and divided in there on the few occasions i have been in the NS and i'm glad my ST is in the WSU

You don't get the away fans trying to drown out some of their singers with another song

Guy Fawkes

The voice of treason
Sep 29, 2007
You'll be disappointed with that post. 25K+ STH and you're having a pop at the stand with a capacity of about 2500? ???

Which stand was being sold as the stand which will generate the atmosphere before we moved in?

Which stand at the Goldstone was responsible for the majority of the atmoosphere ?

Which stand has been disappointing in terms of noise since we have moved into the Goldstone (despite some bragging how good the atmosphere is in there)

- Did they ever sell the ESU, WSU, WSL, 1901 club, South stand, kids area or the rest of the ESL as the area where the main source of atmosphere generation was to be?

Tom Hark Preston Park

Will Post For Cash
Jul 6, 2003
Did they ever sell the ESU, WSU, WSL, 1901 club, South stand, kids area or the rest of the ESL as the area where the main source of atmosphere generation was to be?

WSU has enough of the old guard in to be at the forefront of atmosphere generation. Instead it's become the Goldstone equivalent. Quite shameful really.

seagullsovergrimsby

#cpfctinpotclub
Aug 21, 2005
Crap Town
One problem is that there appears to be two groups of singers who refuse to sing the same song at the same time. I don't see unreserved seating as solving that rivalry.

This is happening more and more at away games where we stand where we like but there are still two groups of singers.

Acker79

NSC Patreon
Nov 15, 2008
Brighton
Which stand was being sold as the stand which will generate the atmosphere before we moved in?

Which stand at the Goldstone was responsible for the majority of the atmoosphere ?

Which stand has been disappointing in terms of noise since we have moved into the Goldstone (despite some bragging how good the atmosphere is in there)

- Did they ever sell the ESU, WSU, WSL, 1901 club, South stand, kids area or the rest of the ESL as the area where the main source of atmosphere generation was to be?

When I attended the season ticket presentation they sold as not having one particular singing section, but wanting all stands to sing.

Guy Fawkes

The voice of treason
Sep 29, 2007
This is happening more and more at away games where we stand where we like but there are still two groups of singers.

I think there has been too much of that song is rubbish so i'm not going to sing it (St Pauli chant seems to be the origin of this division, along with the anti-NSk / Ultras thing on here since they started, all that i'm not joining in / its cringe worthy, etc...) and now there appears to be a 2nd group that will try their best to sabotage the first groups efforts for making an atmosphere.

When the other stands do sing, they don't try to drown out one song with another sung by other people in the same stand or in another

clippedgull

Hotdogs, extra onions
Aug 11, 2003
Near Ducks, Geese, and Seagulls
When I attended the season ticket presentation they sold as not having one particular singing section, but wanting all stands to sing.

Completely different to my presentation.

We were told that they wanted the 'singers' to congregate in WSU (South End) to look down over the away fans behind the South goal to 'try and intimidate' them.

Paying the bills

Latest Discussions

Paying the bills

Paying the bills

Paying the bills

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here