Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Players that take their shirts off ,why do they do it?

Frutos

Helpful Moderator
NSC Patreon
May 3, 2006
Northumberland
file.jpg

Garage_Doors

Originally the Swankers
Jun 28, 2008
Brighton
I've never understood why they do and where the inspiration comes from to do it, what is the point of it.
Especially was they know they are going to get booked

British Bulldog

The great escape
Feb 6, 2006
Why book a player for taking his shirt off? not hurting anyone is it?

The Camel

Nov 1, 2010
Darlington, UK
Why book a player for taking his shirt off? not hurting anyone is it?

I found out the answer to this a couple of weeks ago.

Sponsors and shirt manufacturers hate it. Often the highlights of a match are just the goals and they get 30 seconds of coverage. Ruined if 15 seconds of it are wasted by a player waving their trademark around above his head.

Kind of predictable really. Money dictates everything in football these days.

beorhthelm

A. Virgo, Football Genius
Jul 21, 2003
i understand that the shirt over the head trick isnt an offence, as the shirt is still on. does anyone know who did this first, i wanted to say Vialli but have nothing to back this up.

Sponsors and shirt manufacturers hate it. Often the highlights of a match are just the goals and they get 30 seconds of coverage. Ruined if 15 seconds of it are wasted by a player waving their trademark around above his head.

you found the simple version of why. if this was the case, the sponsors wouldnt want the players hugging as that obscures the front of the shirt. or long range shots where the sponsor is bearly visable. the real reason was because players started making political slogans with their celebrations. more than money, footballing authorities are really big on being above politics (ironically...)

Last edited:

Frutos

Helpful Moderator
NSC Patreon
May 3, 2006
Northumberland
i understand that the shirt over the head trick isnt an offence, as the shirt is still on. does anyone know who did this first, i wanted to say Vialli but have nothing to back this up.

I believe you're thinking of Fabrizio Ravanelli, not Gianluca Vialli.

TSB

Captain Hindsight
Jul 7, 2003
Lansdowne Place, Hove

Kind of predictable really. Money dictates everything in football these days.

I think it's more to do with inciting the opposing fans. Jake held the shirt up next to him, as if having just signed for the club so Amex won't mind that.

shaolinpunk

[Insert witty title here]
Nov 28, 2005
Brighton
Never mind whether it should or shouldn't be a booking, I just don't understand why players get an impulsive urge to remove clothes in the excitement of scoring.

beorhthelm

A. Virgo, Football Genius
Jul 21, 2003

KneeOn

Jun 4, 2009
My old man said it was because proper shirts (not replicas) were extra tight and too much time was lost redressing, an Italian game lost 7 minutes through this. Apparently.

Paying the bills

Latest Discussions

Paying the bills

Paying the bills

Paying the bills

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here