Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Advice on Mobile Phone purchase

Eeyore

Lord Donkey of Queen's Park
NSC Patreon
Apr 5, 2014
I’ve had my first disappointing e bay purchase this week and am not really sure what to do about it.

I bought a new mobile phone for my other half. The phone arrived promptly, but having been advertised as new, unopened, and ‘unlocked’ it is clearly locked to another network and is asking for a code to proceed further. I don’t know what that network is.

It arrived in a plain white box, with a battery and a charger-no other accessories (no manual or warrantee). The phone had the usual sellotape bits that you have to peel off new phones.

I have sent some emails to the seller since mid-week, but have had no reply.

If I could be sure the phone was definitely new, and that I could unlock it without damaging it, I’d probably keep it to save the hassle and give negative feed back, but it is a worry.

What would people reading this do if they were in my situation?

Dan Aitch

May 31, 2013
Send it back demanding a refund. If you used PayPal you're eventually going to get your money back even if the seller is an 4r5e.

Superphil

Dismember
Jul 7, 2003
In a pile of football shirts
Go through the ebay reporting procedure, they will sort it, their rules are stacked in favour of the buyer. I'm a 5000+ ebay buyer & seller and I've found them to be efficient and effective when dealing with claims. You'll either get your money back, or they'll get the seller to sort out the issue.

What was the sellers feedback rating?

Joey Jo Jo Jr. Shabadoo

Waxing chumps like candles since ‘75
Oct 4, 2003
Open a case/dispute with eBay saying the item is not as described, you've tried to contact the seller but they've not replied. You should get your money back.

Eeyore

Lord Donkey of Queen's Park
NSC Patreon
Apr 5, 2014
Go through the ebay reporting procedure, they will sort it, their rules are stacked in favour of the buyer. I'm a 5000+ ebay buyer & seller and I've found them to be efficient and effective when dealing with claims. You'll either get your money back, or they'll get the seller to sort out the issue.

100%, although they have only sold a few items. One was quite a large transaction with good feedback though. It was that one that made me think they'd be Ok. I'm wondering if they were given the phone to sell, or maybe it's an ex-display model. Don't know.

It appears they have a 'no returns policy', does that matter ?

Beach Hut

Brighton Bhuna Boy
Jul 5, 2003
Living In a Box
Just go through the complaints procedure, a few years ago I purchased what was described as a Samsung MP3 player with a photo of one. What arrived was some Chinese tat from Glasgow that was not what it was sold as and after around 30 odd days I got a full refund.

Joey Jo Jo Jr. Shabadoo

Waxing chumps like candles since ‘75
Oct 4, 2003
It appears they have a 'no returns policy', does that matter ?

Don't worry about the no returns policy, they sold the phone as unlocked and it isn't. The item isn't as described in the original auction, and being locked when it should be unlocked is quite a significant difference. Open a case describe the problem and that you've tried contacting the seller but had no reply and eBay will do the rest. I'd be very surprised if they didn't give you a full refund unless the seller agrees to replace the phone with one that meets their original description.

Shropshire Seagull

Nov 5, 2004
Telford
Don't worry about the no returns policy, they sold the phone as unlocked and it isn't. The item isn't as described in the original auction, and being locked when it should be unlocked is quite a significant difference. Open a case describe the problem and that you've tried contacting the seller but had no reply and eBay will do the rest. I'd be very surprised if they didn't give you a full refund unless the seller agrees to replace the phone with one that meets their original description.

This.

The sale of goods act, which also applies to private sales, stipulates [amongst other things] that goods MUST be as described. If they're not, the seller must first have the opportunity to put right. If this fails, a full refund can be demanded - even through the small claims court if necessary but PayPal are very much on the side of buyers and buyer protection so if you've used PayPal then one way or another, you'll be fine.

As an eBay seller - please try to resolve with seller first, but soon as they get awkward aka incommunicado, raise a case with eBay.

maltaseagull

Feb 25, 2009
Zabbar- Malta
I’ve had my first disappointing e bay purchase this week and am not really sure what to do about it.

I bought a new mobile phone for my other half. The phone arrived promptly, but having been advertised as new, unopened, and ‘unlocked’ it is clearly locked to another network and is asking for a code to proceed further. I don’t know what that network is.

It arrived in a plain white box, with a battery and a charger-no other accessories (no manual or warrantee). The phone had the usual sellotape bits that you have to peel off new phones.

I have sent some emails to the seller since mid-week, but have had no reply.

If I could be sure the phone was definitely new, and that I could unlock it without damaging it, I’d probably keep it to save the hassle and give negative feed back, but it is a worry.

What would people reading this do if they were in my situation?

Open a dispute with ebay- It should have buyer protection and they will ask you to contact seller-If that fails, ask your card issuer to dispute under reason code goods defective/not as described. You should offer to return the item as they will often defend this by saying that they haven't had the phone back. You need confirmation via email that the seller will refund if the phone is returned. Good luck!

Last edited:

maltaseagull

Feb 25, 2009
Zabbar- Malta

I deal with chargebacks daily.

The best one was a case against paypal where they replied to the ebay buyer that : We have resolved the case in your favour and credited your account with £0 as there were no funds on the sellers account!

We were the card issuer and had to chargeback paypal. I think they are rubbish.

Paying the bills

Latest Discussions

Paying the bills

Paying the bills

Paying the bills

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here