Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Dogs on undercliff walk

Captain Sensible

Jul 8, 2003
Not the real one
So, I'm having a nice stroll along the undercliff between Rottingdean and Saltdean with my 2 young daughters. They are on their bicycles. A woman with what I think were Bull Mastiffs comes along in the opposite direction, both dogs are off the lead. I tell my girls to slow and I walk alongside them and we pass the dogs. Then as I thought we were clear of the dogs one turns around and chases and jumps up at my youngest, the dog is barking aggressively, I then kick the dog (more of a push with my foot), my daughter had fallen off her bike so I pick her up. At this point the dogs run off and the woman gives me an earful about kicking her dog, with the most colourful language. I then tell the woman that she's an effing stupid Cow and should have her dogs on the lead and if she can't control them, she shouldn't be allowed to have them. I then said I would kill the dogs in they attacked my kids again.
The long and the short is yes I know this woman was scum, but it begs the question, what to do with dogs that are off the lead in public places? My kids don't want to go on the undercliff walk again, which is a shame. I must admit it's put me off too.

Any thoughts? How can this type of incident be stopped?
I think either a mass cull of all dogs or a undercliff warden that can issue on the spot fines for dogs off the lead. A few weeks of that should stop it.

Since1982

Sep 30, 2006
Burgess Hill
Too many dog owners are irresponsible idiots. My house fronts onto a public footpath and recently a dog off a lead ran into my garden and grabbed my cat in its jaws. When I shouted at the owner to get their dog off my *^%$("@ garden I was met with abuse and how dare I shout at them. They even sent their mother in law round to complain that I had shouted. Why do these people think their dogs have a right to run around unleashed. Hope your kids are OK.

Captain Sensible

Jul 8, 2003
Not the real one
[MENTION=5196]Since1982[/MENTION] they were a bit shaken up but ok, thanks! Your situations sounds awful too. I mean some dogs, should they wish to attack are easily capable of killing a child. I mean I'm not allowed to walk around with a knife but a dog owner can walk around with a deadly animal, not just that, many are off the lead too. It's not just those that attack or are aggressive. The undercliff (also any footpath really), should not be an area for dogs to just roam around. I don't see why I should have to look out for potential danger with these animals.
At the moment I'd love a mass cull, but realistically give traffic wardens and the police power to issue on the spot fines. It should recoup a nice bit of cash too.

Bold Seagull

strong and stable with me, or...
Mar 18, 2010
Hove
I think dog owners in general love their dogs, and in turn think that everyone else will love them too.

I've had dogs completely destroy a picnic on the beach only for some ditty women to come over and say, 'oh isn't she a naughty doggy' to the dog! Not to me. I was f__king livid, and in the end I was so mad the women (bless her to be honest), went to the shop and bought us a load of sandwiches and stuff back.

Still, though, you get these dogs bothering you sniffing about, and the owners don't really do much - I think they think they're going you a favour by letting you have the chance to pet their dog, I really do. It really winds me up. I don't want you're horrible little mutt near me thanks, so keep the thing under control!

And all other football managers of young teams will also know about the 15min pitch preparation that has to be done before each match so our kids don't have to do sliding tackles through dogs mess every weekend.

Man's best friend my arse.

pasty

A different kind of pasty
Jul 5, 2003
West, West, West Sussex
We quite often use the under cliff to take the dog for a walk, and always, always keep her on a lead. Even though (and I guess all dog owners say this) she's as soft as shite and you're in more danger of being licked to death by our dog!

Hope your kids are okay Captain S and it doesn't put them off the under cliff permanently.

Badger

NOT the Honey Badger
NSC Patron
May 8, 2007
Toronto
@Since1982 they were a bit shaken up but ok, thanks! Your situations sounds awful too. I mean some dogs, should they wish to attack are easily capable of killing a child. I mean I'm bit allowed to walk around with a knife but a dog owner can walk around with a deadly animal. It's not just those that attack. The undercliff (also any footpath really), should not be an area for dogs to just roam around. I don't see why I should have to look out for potential danger with these animals.
At the moment I'd love a mass cull, but realistically give tragffic wardens and the police power to issue on the spot fines. It should recoup a nice bit of cash too.

I'm pretty sure police already have the power to issue on-the-spot fines for owners who's dogs are "out-of-control", it does seem like quite a vague law and I can't imagine there are many cases of it being enforced. It's like the laws around cycling and dropping litter, unless there's a particular crackdown happening they never get enforced.

pasty

A different kind of pasty
Jul 5, 2003
West, West, West Sussex
Yes, exactly what I'm saying in post #5 above!

Which is why as responsible dog owners, we always keep her on a lead in very public areas. We only let her off for a run in large open spaces where it is safe to do so.

father_and_son

Jan 23, 2012
Under the Police Box
Have had the same issue in the past in Wish Park with a dog going for my son (who has always disliked dogs and became downright phobic after this!).

If you cannot control your dog it should not be off the lead in a public place. End of.

She seemed to think that the park was specifically there to allow dogs to run around. I pointed out that the goal posts and white lines suggested otherwise. I may have used more colourful language to do this!

vegster

Sanity Clause
May 5, 2008
I sympathise with the OP, It is down to ignorant owners who should know what their dogs are capable of doing. Two dogs are worse as they will often act like a team if they turn on someone or another dog. I had a similar experience when fishing with Ms V along the undercliff at Peacehaven.

A woman of about 30 came along with 2 dogs that were " patrolling" ahead of her they came over to where we were fishing had a quick sniff of us and then ran back towards the owner. One of the dogs saw our tackle box buckets and bags and went for a closer inspection. Without hesitation the dog had its head in the plastic bag containing our sandwiches and shredded the bag and started gulping them down. I ran towards the dog shouting to scare it off but it didn't take much notice so I shouted to the woman to call her dog back. She did not look too bothered and shouted something like " Timmy, Come Here ! " which the dog ignored totally and carried on gulping. I dashed along and was prepared to kick the b****** when it finally sloped off. I told the woman she should have the bloody thing under control and that that was what leads are for. She didn't really say anything, maybe a murmured "sorry" but certainly no apology for her dog destroying our lunch,and they ambled off. I was saying to Mrs V what a useless piece of c*** the owner was for not controlling the dog or apologising for it's behavior when the dog decided to run back 50 yards and have another go and see if there was any more food going !

I was furious, the owner was useless and I told her quite bluntly of that fact. No apology, of course, she eventually grabbed the dog and struggled to get it on the lead and then walked off. I told her she should be more responsible and as this dog had obviously done this before, and that she should never let if off the lead as she obviously had no control. Silence from the dog owner as before as she walked off..... about 100 yards along the undercliff she let it off the lead again.

Now I'm not a violent man but sometimes, just sometimes.....

Badger

NOT the Honey Badger
NSC Patron
May 8, 2007
Toronto
I sympathise with the OP, It is down to ignorant owners who should know what their dogs are capable of doing. Two dogs are worse as they will often act like a team if they turn on someone or another dog. I had a similar experience when fishing with Ms V along the undercliff at Peacehaven.

A woman of about 30 came along with 2 dogs that were " patrolling" ahead of her they came over to where we were fishing had a quick sniff of us and then ran back towards the owner. One of the dogs saw our tackle box buckets and bags and went for a closer inspection. Without hesitation the dog had its head in the plastic bag containing our sandwiches and shredded the bag and started gulping them down. I ran towards the dog shouting to scare it off but it didn't take much notice so I shouted to the woman to call her dog back. She did not look too bothered and shouted something like " Timmy, Come Here ! " which the dog ignored totally and carried on gulping. I dashed along and was prepared to kick the b****** when it finally sloped off. I told the woman she should have the bloody thing under control and that that was what leads are for. She didn't really say anything, maybe a murmured "sorry" but certainly no apology for her dog destroying our lunch,and they ambled off. I was saying to Mrs V what a useless piece of c*** the owner was for not controlling the dog or apologising for it's behavior when the dog decided to run back 50 yards and have another go and see if there was any more food going !

I was furious, the owner was useless and I told her quite bluntly of that fact. No apology, of course, she eventually grabbed the dog and struggled to get it on the lead and then walked off. I told her she should be more responsible and as this dog had obviously done this before, and that she should never let if off the lead as she obviously had no control. Silence from the dog owner as before as she walked off..... about 100 yards along the undercliff she let it off the lead again.

Now I'm not a violent man but sometimes, just sometimes.....

In future you should pack a sandwich on the top which is laced with something that gives dogs a severe attack of diarrhoea about 2 hours later.

withdeanwombat

Feb 17, 2005
Somersetshire
Remember being "chased " by a black labrador when I was 4. Put me off dogs for ages. Now I own two Westies and when we are out and about they are kept on their leads. Sometimes children come up and want to pet them, and that's okay, but for those little 'uns who are worried by them the dogs are kept on a short leash.

You did right to push the dog away, and I would expect any caring parent to do the same to my pair if they were causing grief.

Captain Sensible

Jul 8, 2003
Not the real one
A few bad incidents here, why should we put up with this? I forgot to mention the dog shite on the undercliff, it's almost part and parcel now.
Thing is, the attitude amongst many (especially dog owners) is 'meh'. But really it's so easy to put a dog on a lead, yet it seems many need to be forced to do it! The question is how?

Man of Harveys

Jul 9, 2003
Brighton, UK
Throw the dogs in the sea. At full tide. Horrible things.

withdeanwombat

Feb 17, 2005
Somersetshire
A few bad incidents here, why should we put up with this? I forgot to mention the dog shite on the undercliff, it's almost part and parcel now.
Thing is, the attitude amongst many (especially dog owners) is 'meh'. But really it's so easy to put a dog on a lead, yet it seems many need to be forced to do it! The question is how?

Yes, by goodness, I cannot stand dog owners who won't pick up after the pets they allegedly love. Sadly the answer seems to be better enforcement, bigger fines, the dog pound..........local governments will not do it rigorously enough, though, it being low on the priority list when cash strapped. Perhaps there should be a "fit and proper persons" requirement for pet ownership ?

Wellesley

Jul 24, 2013
I always have to keep my dog on his lead when I walk him along the undercliff for his own safety, because there is always one irresponsible parent letting his kids cause havoc by riding their bloody bikes all over the place. The way they speed about, zig-zagging all over the place, it's amazing that more poor innocent pooches haven't been hurt. Does anyone know how we can stop these crazy kids?

Dick Head

⭐⭐⭐⭐⭐
Jan 3, 2010
Quaxxann
I always have to keep my dog on his lead when I walk him along the undercliff for his own safety, because there is always one irresponsible parent letting his kids cause havoc by riding their bloody bikes all over the place. The way they speed about, zig-zagging all over the place, it's amazing that more poor innocent pooches haven't been hurt. Does anyone know how we can stop these crazy kids?

Bikes aren't allowed on the Undercliff Walk. The cycle lane runs along the cliff top.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here