Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Football Stadiums You Should Watch A Game In Before You Die

shaolinpunk

[Insert witty title here]
Nov 28, 2005
Brighton
I've been to OT, Millenium Stadium and the Nou Camp. Done a tour of the Amsterdam Arena but didn't get to see a game

Eddiespearritt

May 23, 2012
Central Europe
I'm six short - but have no plans anyway to watch a game in that hotbed of "soccer", Portland, Oregon. I think the Amex would make the list ahead of that.

Springal

Feb 12, 2005
GOSBTS
I've done Wembley, Anfield, FNB, Camp Nou, Donbass, Amsterdam Arena, Millenium Stadium, Olympiastadion.

Olympiastadion stands out as a cracker, as does Donbass. Camp Nou is impressive, but didn't appreciate the size of it from the lower tier really.

Simster

"the man's an arse"
Jul 7, 2003
Surrey
I'm six short - but have no plans anyway to watch a game in that hotbed of "soccer", Portland, Oregon. I think the Amex would make the list ahead of that.

It's obviously an American article with an American slant, but the game is popular in the Pacific North West. Seattle get 40,000 a game, and Portland would too if they had a stadium big enough - they have 16,000 season ticket holders with another 14,000 on the waiting list. This is footage from last week's 4-4 in the Portland-Seattle derby:

[yt]4PpdIFfdxa8[/yt]

It looks fairly passionate to me. :shrug: Obviously it has no business being in a top 21 football occasions BUT I dare say if I was American it probably would.

Husty

Mooderator
Oct 18, 2008
Grab a beer in the stands? He's got that very wrong.

Lyndhurst 14

Jan 16, 2008

Bizarrely I did Providence Park when I worked in Portland, but I'd agree that it has no place whatsoever on this sort of list

surrey jim

Not in Surrey
Aug 2, 2005
Bevendean
Celtic park

Why you should visit: It’s one of the oldest stadiums in the United Kingdom, and if you happen to catch a game in Celtic Park when the Rangers are in town…prepare to have your mind blown.

They should probabaly know that Rangers is also a Glasgow based team.

Man of Harveys

Jul 9, 2003
Brighton, UK
I'd put a visit to Dortmund ahead of either of those two other grounds in Germany, personally. Although you can see why they picked them.

atfc village

Mar 28, 2013
Lower Bourne .Farnham
Only done 4 on the list ,but i would add Red Star Belgrade and Hadjuk Split to that list as grounds that should be visited.

Not Andy Naylor

Dec 12, 2007
Seven Dials
Only done 4 on the list ,but i would add Red Star Belgrade and Hadjuk Split to that list as grounds that should be visited.

Done both of those and I'd agree. The Split stadium is designed like a clam shell and has the advantage of being in a beautiful city. I saw Serbia v Bosnia in the Red Star Marakana - unforgettable.

On the list, I've been to the Luzhniki and it's impressive, but was almost empty and had no atmosphere whatever. The Amsterdam ArenA is technically impressive, but a bit of an odd experience, especially with the roof closed.

Also recommended: Sukru Saracoglu (Fenerbahce), Istanbul. Steep sides, wall of noise, fantastic partisan home crowd; Millerntor, Hamburg (St Pauli); Stadium of Light (Benfica), Lisbon; Stade Chaban-Delmas (Bordeaux).

I thought the old Olympic Stadium in Munich was better than the Allianz Arena, which, once you're inside, could be almost any modern stadium.

On the bucket list: Stade Velodrome (Olympique Marseille).

atfc village

Mar 28, 2013
Lower Bourne .Farnham
Done both of those and I'd agree. The Split stadium is designed like a clam shell and has the advantage of being in a beautiful city. I saw Serbia v Bosnia in the Red Star Marakana - unforgettable.

On the list, I've been to the Luzhniki and it's impressive, but was almost empty and had no atmosphere whatever. The Amsterdam ArenA is technically impressive, but a bit of an odd experience, especially with the roof closed.

Also recommended: Sukru Saracoglu (Fenerbahce), Istanbul. Steep sides, wall of noise, fantastic partisan home crowd; Millerntor, Hamburg (St Pauli); Stadium of Light (Benfica), Lisbon; Stade Chaban-Delmas (Bordeaux).

I thought the old Olympic Stadium in Munich was better than the Allianz Arena, which, once you're inside, could be almost any modern stadium.

On the bucket list: Stade Velodrome (Olympique Marseille).
Always used to stay in the beautiful town of Trogir rather than Split .I did Hadjuk v Podurica from Montenegro no love lost there ,39000 sell out and sat next to the away end totally amazing atmosphere.Only half full for Red Star's ground For Serbia V Lithuania ,but still amazing .I've done a lot of grounds in Europe and prefer lower league Huracan Valencia segunda B being a favorite of mine.

Bakero

Languidly clinical
Oct 9, 2010
Almería
La Bombonera is easily the best atmosphere I've experienced. I was in the away end and they were friggin' mental.

levski seagull

Jul 7, 2003
brighton
I've been to the Belgrade derby, phenomenal atmosphere, I was buzzing for days after that. Have been to the Maxsimir for a Croatia v England but would love to go to Hadjuk v Dinamo in the future.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here