Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Recommend me a camera?

markw

Aug 28, 2009
I am looking to buy a digital camera to update my old model. Looking for a compact zoom type, not too small and not the big type with interchangeable lenses, just superb picture quality needed in all light. looking at used on ebay with £100 to spend so probably a 2-3 year old model. Open to any suggestions, my current camera is a 7 year old sony cybershot, which I think gives slightly unnatural colour, the best I have ever had for picture quality was 2003 Olympus 3.2mp and when I look through old photos they really stand out with superb image quality, would love a modern version of this, any suggestions?

pipkin112

Aug 10, 2011
sompting
I've got a Panasonic TZ7, compact, good picture and video quality and a decent zoom, should be able to pick one up quite cheap second hand.

skipper734

Registered ruffian
Aug 9, 2008
Curdridge
I bought a refurbished Panasonic TZ18 to update my old 5mp jobbie. £99 bargain, brilliant camera. I think the TZ series is acknowledged to be amongst the best,

Danny-Boy

Banned
Apr 21, 2009
The Coast
I am looking to buy a digital camera to update my old model. Looking for a compact zoom type, not too small and not the big type with interchangeable lenses, just superb picture quality needed in all light. looking at used on ebay with £100 to spend so probably a 2-3 year old model. Open to any suggestions, my current camera is a 7 year old sony cybershot, which I think gives slightly unnatural colour, the best I have ever had for picture quality was 2003 Olympus 3.2mp and when I look through old photos they really stand out with superb image quality, would love a modern version of this, any suggestions?

I had problems with my old digital pocket camera and the shop recommended me a Sony DSC-WX200, it's basically the last throw of the camera-makers versus mobiles. Has got very good reviews, it cost me about £140.

The controls are very fiddly though, no good if you're hamfisted. Also you have no aperture now, which I find a bit of a bind, sometimes in the sunlight you can't see the screen clearly to line it up.

Fungus

NSC Patreon
May 21, 2004
Truro
I had problems with my old digital pocket camera and the shop recommended me a Sony DSC-WX200, it's basically the last throw of the camera-makers versus mobiles.

What does that mean? Mobiles are going to beat "serious" cameras?

blue'n'white

Oct 5, 2005
2nd runway at Gatwick
Olympus SZ31MR - absolutely stunning for a "pocket" camera. I've got a Nikon digital SLR but use the Olympus more. To be honest the camera on the Samsung S4 is bloody good for "just" a phone camera - 13mp and great image quality.

markw

Aug 28, 2009
I read a while back that the big players in the camera market are concentrating on high end cameras as sales of the lower end have been hit as people use their phone cameras now.

Triggaaar

Oct 24, 2005
Goldstone
The controls are very fiddly though, no good if you're hamfisted. Also you have no aperture now, which I find a bit of a bind, sometimes in the sunlight you can't see the screen clearly to line it up.
Do you mean 'no viewfinder now'?

I guess the little compacts are not selling as well, due to the phones, but of course it doesn't apply to more serious cameras.

I read a while back that the big players in the camera market are concentrating on high end cameras as sales of the lower end have been hit as people use their phone cameras now.
The alternative to the big stuff is the micro four thirds etc. Great cameras, and smaller than the big DSLRs.

perseus

Broad Blue & White stripe
Jul 5, 2003
Sūþseaxna
Do you mean 'no viewfinder now'?

I guess the little compacts are not selling as well, due to the phones, but of course it doesn't apply to more serious cameras.

The alternative to the big stuff is the micro four thirds etc. Great cameras, and smaller than the big DSLRs.

I would go for the £150 prices in thsi range:

https://www.google.co.uk/search?q=c...2&ie=UTF-8#q=cheap+bridge+cameras+uk&tbm=shop

Not the Canon SX40 which is not worth the dosh. That's what I bought.

None of these are very good in poor light though.

Bwian

Kiss my (_!_)
Jul 14, 2003
Olympus SZ31MR - absolutely stunning for a "pocket" camera. I've got a Nikon digital SLR but use the Olympus more. To be honest the camera on the Samsung S4 is bloody good for "just" a phone camera - 13mp and great image quality.

I managed to get one of these (SZ31MR) for £109, new, from Amazon. 24x zoom means I can pick out friends on the opposite side of the Amex quite clearly. A very good little camera as you'd expect from a traditional Japanese camera maker. My Panasonic TZ7 takes great pictures and video too and I only replaced it because it was a few years old so I'd recommend a current TZ or the SZ31MR.

dougdeep

May 9, 2004
SUNNY SEAFORD
Can't go wrong with Samsung. Try the Amazon link above.

markw

Aug 28, 2009
Well I put a bid in on ebay for a Canon powershot G9 and have just woke up to find I won it for £71. an older model but gets great reviews, hopefully as good or better than my old Olympus.

Beach Hut

Brighton Bhuna Boy
Jul 5, 2003
Living In a Box
Had a Casio pocket digital camera for ages, stunningly good

Paying the bills

Latest Discussions

Paying the bills

Paying the bills

Paying the bills

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here