Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Football] Current World XI Draft

Rohana

I'm.Actually.Dead.
Feb 16, 2010
Shoreham-By-Sea
Current World XI Draft

Are you ready for the challenge?

After the success of the last game, I’ve decided it’s time for us to frantically search through Wikipedia in a futile attempt to create a balanced team.

For those of you who are new to the game, then let me explain. The idea of the game is to build a team, with each player satisfying one of the 11 categories. We take it turn to pick players until we all have a starting XI. However, for the first time this draft will require each team to also have a MANAGER . There isn’t a manager specific category so it will be up to you to find a way to place a manager in to your team.
Here are the categories:

Category 1 - Has played at least 200 times for one club.
Has made at least 200 appearances for the same club. League & Cup both count. Friendlies however, do not. The 200 appearances can be spread over more than one spell at the club. Managers who have been in charge of one club for 200 games count.

Category 2 – Has made over 70 International appearances.
Has over 70 full International caps. Youth games do not count. All friendlies count, as do major tournaments. Managers who have managed ONE nation 70+ times count. Managers who have achieved 70+ International games over 2+ nations DO NOT count.

Category 3 - Has never played at a World Cup
Has failed to play a single minute of football at a World Cup. Making the squad but failing to make in to the pitch counts. Managers who have never managed an International team do not count.

Category 4 - Plays/Manages outside the “top 5” leagues.
Currently plays for (or manages) a club that do not play in one of the following leagues; La Liga, Premiership, Bundesliga, Ligue1 or Serie A. Players on loan do not count.

Category 5 – Has been the top goal scorer in a top-flight season.
Any player who has finished as the top scorer in any division that is the highest in its country. E.g – Premiership, La Liga, Bolivian Professional Football League, Lativan Premiership etc. Obviously managers cannot be entered in to this category.

Category 6 – Played football in at least 4 different countries
Any footballer who has played a full professional game for different teams in 4 or more leagues. For example, playing for Swansea would class as English, due to Swansea playing in an English league. Managers who have managed in 4 different countries count.

Category 7 – Has been relegated during his career
Has been relegated with any club during his career. The player (or manager) must have been at the club when they were mathematically relegated. Relegation due to breach of rules (a-la Juventus for match fixing.) do not count.

Category 8 – Has played in a Champions League Semi-Final/Final.
Has played in or managed a team in the last four of the Champions League. Unused subs do not count.

Category 9 – Is under 24 years of age.
Was 23 years old or younger on the 1.1.2014. All ages taken from Wikipedia.

Category 10 - Has won a league title with 2 different clubs.

Has won any league title with at least 2 different teams. This could be the same league twice with two different clubs, or two different league titles with different clubs.

Category 11 – Is over 30 years old.
Player was 30 years or older as of the 1.1.2014. Managers are not allowed in this category.

Category 12 - Has faced Brighton at some point in his career
Has either played or managed against BHAFC in a first team game. Friendlies and cup games all count.

11 players, 11 different categories. We will pick our players in a snake-draft format.

E.g

Round One
Person 1 - Chooses a player or manager
Person 2 - Chooses a player or manager
Person 3 - Chooses a player or manager

Round Two
Manager 3 - Chooses a player or manager
Manager 2 - Chooses a player or manager
Manager 1 - Chooses a player or manager etc

You can chose the category/position to fill in any order you want but they must currently be contracted to a club or national side. Once everybody has picked 11 players and their manager they must post their formation, and we will have a vote for Best Defence, Best Midfield, Best Attack, Most Balanced before a WORLD CUP style whole forum vote.
Draft Rules

1. Once the first pick has been made, the next manager has a maximum of 10 HOURS to make his pick. If the 10 hour deadline expires, the next manager in the draft order can make his pick. The player who missed their pick will be allowed to pick when they are next online

2. If you think you will be away for over 10 hours remember to leave someone your shortlist to post for you.

3. Once you have made your pick, please Private Message or tag/mention the manager who follows you in the Draft Order.

4. You must draft a goalkeeper! Choose a sensible formation and build a balanced team.

5. DO NOT name unpicked players! Repeat offenders will miss their go.

6. No videos. Feel free to use stats to try and get people to realise the quality of the player you're picking, but Videos are prohibited. Use words and numbers, not highlight clips from Youtube.

We’re looking for 12-20 players. I’ve got the following people down as wanting a place. If you’re on that list can you confirm your place please.

1. [MENTION=278]MattBackHome[/MENTION]
2. [MENTION=22841]stripeyshark[/MENTION]
3. [MENTION=1958]Gazwag[/MENTION]
4. [MENTION=4147]shaolinpunk[/MENTION]
5. [MENTION=1284]moggy[/MENTION]
6. [MENTION=15934]Rohana[/MENTION]
7. [MENTION=1349]turienzo's lovechild[/MENTION]
8. [MENTION=13376]albionalex[/MENTION]
9. [MENTION=225]Hamilton[/MENTION]
10. [MENTION=23421]JOLovegrove[/MENTION]
11. [MENTION=286]Garry Nelson's Left Foot[/MENTION]
12. [MENTION=23606]Shatner's Bassoon[/MENTION]

Rohana

I'm.Actually.Dead.
Feb 16, 2010
Shoreham-By-Sea
Hints and Tips for new players.

- Shortlist. Have a browse through Wikipedia and find a handful of players that fit in to the harder categories. Nothing worse than realising the player you had in mind has been taken and it dawning on you that you haven't got a back-up.

- Think outside the box. There are some surprising players in some of the categories.

- Wikipedia has pages dedicated to each season for the major leagues. Handy when finding out who was relegated from the Bundesliga in 2002 or whatever. :laugh:

Rohana

I'm.Actually.Dead.
Feb 16, 2010
Shoreham-By-Sea
[MENTION=4675]Frutos[/MENTION], [MENTION=25389]Jay Cartwright[/MENTION], [MENTION=17456]The_Viper[/MENTION], [MENTION=24420]Gullflyinghigh[/MENTION], [MENTION=8619]Guy Fawkes[/MENTION] and [MENTION=5392]Reinelt12[/MENTION] all in.

18 spots filled. Two more to go. Hopefully we'll be able to get this started tomorrow if not before.

If any of the new players have any questions then feel free to ask. :)

Rohana

I'm.Actually.Dead.
Feb 16, 2010
Shoreham-By-Sea
If you'll have me, I'll do it.

We'll have you, but I can't promise people won't be biased when it comes to voting ;)

Also in typical draft-style I've managed to f*ck up the first post by not including the 10th category. Will try and get a mod to edit it before we get going. :ffsparr:

pauldcpfc

Banned
Feb 16, 2010
Surrey
We'll have you, but I can't promise people won't be biased when it comes to voting ;)

Also in typical draft-style I've managed to f*ck up the first post by not including the 10th category. Will try and get a mod to edit it before we get going. :ffsparr:
Meh, like I care!!!

I'm off to research Pulis players for this!

For clarity, if you are choosing a manager in any of the categories, can their playing careers also count? For example, if a manager played in England and Germany and managed in Italy/Japan, would they count for Category 6?

Rohana

I'm.Actually.Dead.
Feb 16, 2010
Shoreham-By-Sea
Meh, like I care!!!

I'm off to research Pulis players for this!

For clarity, if you are choosing a manager in any of the categories, can their playing careers also count? For example, if a manager played in England and Germany and managed in Italy/Japan, would they count for Category 6?

Nope. Managers are based only on their managerial career

moggy

Oct 15, 2003
southwick
So rohana, we need to make a player/manager in one of the categories?

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here