Page 10 of 10 FirstFirst ... 78910
    Where do we go from here? Tesco in Disguise's Avatar

0 Not allowed!
    Quote Originally Posted by edna krabappel View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    I think that would be the best match-day option. Pub in Ditchling (or wherever), get a ride to the car park at the top of the Beacon, and then walk from there. Nearly all downhill, lovely views, and you'll be at the Amex within an hour or so, not sweating too much
    Great. Thanks for the tips. I'll let you know how it goes. ☺

Just victim of the in-house drive-by.
    They say 'jump!', you say 'how high?'

• North Stand Chat

advertising

Where do we go from here? Tesco in Disguise's Avatar

0 Not allowed!
      I did this yesterday.

Got the train to Hassocks, arrived about 1pm, and walked through Keymer and into Ditchling. Stopped into the Bull pub and had a couple of pints and some lunch. Very nice, but their focus is clearly on quality rather than quantity. Bought some delicious bottled ale from Larder, apposite the Bull. From here walked down to New Road and tried to hitch a lift to Pyecombe. Unsurprisingly unsuccessful seeing as the rain had picked up and were both wearing walking boots. Booked a taxi instead, from Ditchling to Pyecombe golf course (£8), from where we started the walk. The rain was really coming down by the time we got to the first crest, and we stopped to put on waterproof over-trousers. Walked from here to Ditchling beacon without seeing a soul. With the menacing sky it made for quite a dramatic vista. Walked about a mile east of the beacon then bore south, past some farmland and Sussex uni campuses, to Falmer village. Would have stopped in at the Swan but because we were running a little behind schedule and the Swan looked unusually lifeless, headed from there to Dick's (where I promptly ordered two pies). As I sat down to eat these the sun broke through the clouds and set behind the downs. A fitting end to a nice (if a bit wet) walk.

It took about fours hours walking. I'm glad we got a taxi, but would recommend booking in advance as the rural service isn't quick. The Bull pub is nice, but if you're after something 'hearty', you might want to scope out elsewhere. Would recommend going to Larder for provisions before the walk - they had what looked to be nice food in there, too. Waterproofs a must (obviously) if the weather is like it was.

I would recommend this route.

Just victim of the in-house drive-by.
      They say 'jump!', you say 'how high?'