Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Estate agents (BBC 2 last night)

surrey jim

Not in Surrey
Aug 2, 2005
Bevendean
Did anyone see the show on BBC2 last night on Estate agents. The gulf between the London based chap who sold houses for £500K commission, and was generally a w***er to everyone around him, and the estate agent in Durham who, didn’t have a clue how to sell or market a house.

Cannot see this series doing any favors for the profession or the featured agencies.

Badger

NOT the Honey Badger
NSC Patreon
May 8, 2007
Toronto
Did anyone see the show on BBC2 last night on Estate agents. The gulf between the London based chap who sold houses for £500K commission, and was generally a w***er to everyone around him, and the estate agent in Durham who, didn’t have a clue how to sell or market a house.

Cannot see this series doing any favors for the profession or the featured agencies.

Yes I did see some of this, that guy in London really was a stuck-up w***er of the highest proportion wasn't he? The way the interviewer asked him if he ever worried about not selling a house and he just walked off.

The guy in Birmingham made me laugh when he carried on marketing that bungalow after that old couple had their offer accepted, his reasoning appeared to be that he worked for the seller and didn't give a toss about the buyers. This was the same guy who had said estate agents get an unfair reputation.

The Wookiee

Back From The Dead
Nov 10, 2003
Worthing
Yes I did see some of this, that guy in London really was a stuck-up w***er of the highest proportion wasn't he? The way the interviewer asked him if he ever worried about not selling a house and he just walked off.

The guy in Birmingham made me laugh when he carried on marketing that bungalow after that old couple had their offer accepted, his reasoning appeared to be that he worked for the seller and didn't give a toss about the buyers. This was the same guy who had said estate agents get an unfair reputation.

So if it was your house he was selling, you would be happy for it to be taken off the market after accepting an offer from a not so proceed able buyer ?

Badger

NOT the Honey Badger
NSC Patreon
May 8, 2007
Toronto
So if it was your house he was selling, you would be happy for it to be taken off the market after accepting an offer from a not so proceed able buyer ?

It wasn't so much the fact that he did it, it was his explanation for it and the way he told the buyers he would take it off the market.

Biscuit

Native Creative
Jul 8, 2003
Brighton
Many on here know I'm not a massive fan of Estate Agents generally... ...abd that programme hardly made me change my mind.

That guy that made a call, upped the price he's making £3,000 commission on. ""I wouldn't tell you it was worth it if it wasn't."" Or the man who continued to market a property despite already having an offer accepted. It's really not good enough.

Estate Agents are, generally, totally unnecessary middlemen. You do get a few gems but they are very few and far between and must admit themselves that they are let down by the vast majority of their peers.

That Durham bloke was probably the most cringeworthy moron I've ever seen. Singing in the office. ''It's probably my greatest achievement since being at Robinsons*." Prancing around in his cityboy suit. Jesus.

*Or whatever the **** it was called.

Last edited:

The Wookiee

Back From The Dead
Nov 10, 2003
Worthing
It wasn't so much the fact that he did it, it was his explanation for it and the way he told the buyers he would take it off the market.

Agreed, he should of told the buyers, or at least not told them he was taking it off the market

mikeyjh

Dec 17, 2008
Llanymawddwy
Agreed, he should of told the buyers, or at least not told them he was taking it off the market

I don't think I've ever made an offer without the caveat that it was no long on the market - It's outrageous that this happens, the moment you have an offer accepted you're going to start incurring costs.....

The Wookiee

Back From The Dead
Nov 10, 2003
Worthing
Many on here know I'm not a massive fan of Estate Agents generally... ...abd that programme hardly made me change my mind.

That guy that made a call, upped the price and made £3,000 extra commission. ""I wouldn't tell you it was worth it if it wasn't."" Or the man who continued to market a property despite already having an offer accepted. It's really not good enough.

Estate Agents are, generally, totally unnecessary middlemen. You do get a few gems but they are very few and far between and must admit themselves that they are let down by the vast majority of their peers.

That Durham bloke was probably the most cringeworthy moron I've ever seen. Singing in the office. ''It's probably my greatest achievement since being at Robinsons*." Prancing around in his cityboy suit. Jesus.

*Or whatever the **** it was called.

He didn't make 3k extra commission, he made 3k commission total from selling the house. Which at 205k is about average.

The Wookiee

Back From The Dead
Nov 10, 2003
Worthing
I don't think I've ever made an offer without the caveat that it was no long on the market - It's outrageous that this happens, the moment you have an offer accepted you're going to start incurring costs.....

What costs do you incurr straight away as a buyer ?

Uncle Spielberg

NSC Patreon
Jul 6, 2003
Lancing
Of course this tv programme will get the biggest w*nkers as it makes good viewing. I have worked with these types but also some genuinely decent people doing their best for the clients. For me I do however think, the profession can never be taken and indeed should never to be taken seriously until they are regulated, like every other element is, in a house transaction.

Nibble

Jan 3, 2007
Anyone with the word "agent" after their job title is basically a worthless piece of crap. This totally unnecessary bunch of vampires has basically made themselves appear essential when in fact all they do is wedge themselves between what someone is offering and what someone wants and leech money off both parties, usually while lying, scheming and cheating to make their percentage as big as possible and generally getting in the effing way of two parties who want to make a relatively simple business transaction. Worthless occupation for worthless people.

Uncle Spielberg

NSC Patreon
Jul 6, 2003
Lancing
I have lost quite a few mortgage deals when the ea insists the clients have to use their own " advisor ". Along the lines of " it will be much easier and you will have more chance of your offer being accepted " This is illegal, but of course happens on every single transaction in most ea's offices.

gazingdown

Feb 26, 2011
As a buyer, the offer is conditional on the house being taken off the market.

If the seller/agent wants to continue marketing the property, then the offer is thus taken off the table.

surrey jim

Not in Surrey
Aug 2, 2005
Bevendean
So not as soon as the offer is accepted then ?

So you would be happy to take YOUR house off the market if you accepted an offer from a non proceed able buyer ?

Why would you ?

When buying a house most people (myself included) would start the process of surveys / home buyers reports as soon as the offer is accepted.
If the property is still on the market and able to attract other bids, there is the risk of the initial purchaser being gazumped, and of course costing them money in the wasted fees etc.

A good EA should advise the vendor the state of play with buyer, and allow them to make up their mind wether to accept the offer based on buyers circumstance.

mikeyjh

Dec 17, 2008
Llanymawddwy
When buying a house most people (myself included) would start the process of surveys / home buyers reports as soon as the offer is accepted.
If the property is still on the market and able to attract other bids, there is the risk of the initial purchaser being gazumped, and of course costing them money in the wasted fees etc.

A good EA should advise the vendor the state of play with buyer, and allow them to make up their mind wether to accept the offer based on buyers circumstance.

Exactly - If you're not happy that the buyer is not in an immediate position to proceed then you don't accept the offer and hope that you get a better one.

Herr Tubthumper

NSC Patreon
Jul 11, 2003
The Fatherland

This is a bit like saying WW2 documentaries don't do the Nazis any favours.

Badger

NOT the Honey Badger
NSC Patreon
May 8, 2007
Toronto
This is a bit like saying WW2 documentaries don't do the Nazis any favours.

:lolol: That's a cracking analogy.

The guy with "city trader" shirts and fat ties is EXACTLY the image which comes into my head when I think of an estate agent.

Paying the bills

Latest Discussions

Paying the bills

Paying the bills

Paying the bills

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here