Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Calling all fitness experts!! Fatty needs advice!

Brightonia

Dec 7, 2012
Sussex by the sea
I weigh myself every Thursday as trying to shift the pounds. Usually on a Wednesday I go for a swim and a sauna as part of my routine!

Tonight however I had to work late and missed the chance to get to the pool!

If I swim and sauna in the morning and then an hour later record my weigh in, will this have a drastic effect on my result? Or should the result be pretty much the same?

Answers on a postcard please!

smeariestbat

May 5, 2012
Depends if you have replenished fluids. After a swim and sauna your bodyweight will be artificially low due to water loss/dehydration :thumbsup:

Chicken Runner61

We stand where we want!
May 20, 2007
I weigh myself every Thursday as trying to shift the pounds. Usually on a Wednesday I go for a swim and a sauna as part of my routine!

Tonight however I had to work late and missed the chance to get to the pool!

If I swim and sauna in the morning and then an hour later record my weigh in, will this have a drastic effect on my result? Or should the result be pretty much the same?

Answers on a postcard please!

Weighing yourself at different times will give you different weights so if your swim & sauna makes you later to weigh yourself later that could make a difference, I think it will depend on how much you eat/ate tonight and if you eat anything after your exercise tomorrow that will really change anything.

I've found that overnight I can lose a kg in sleep and if I then do even a small amount of exercise in the morning I can lose another 1 -2 kg until I eat and then most of that will go back on.

Its what happens over a week, month etc that really shows loss or gain

JCL666

absurdism
Sep 23, 2011
Typically throughout a day your weight can fluctuate by 1-2kg, sometimes a bit more. Sweat, food, drink, going to the loo etc will all affect it.

For example, over a 2 hour period you drink a litre of water and you don't go the loo................... That will equal roughly 1kg extra.

If you want the most accurate consistent measurement, try weighing yourself before you go to bed.

PoG

Oct 29, 2013
The key to losing weight is to hit, or hit below the recommended fat levels and cut out sugar.

Fat is good for you, sugar is not.

Agree there about the sugar but the key is to be in a calorific deficit.

Well done OP you've done great so far! Id weigh myself first thing in the morn, that way you have no food/water adding weight. That's just personal preference and a bit of bro science for you .

Last edited:

Barrel of Fun

Abort, retry, fail

Well done OP you've done great so far! Id weigh myself first thing in the morn, that way you have no food/water adding weight. That's just personal preference and a bit of bro science for you .

Oh, I agree. You can hit your calories, but exercise and avoid sugar.

bobby baxter

Jan 31, 2014
Sauna really doesn't burn much more fat than just sitting about, as has already been said it only reduces water levels in the body and temporarily reduces weight that way!

That's not to say it isn't good for you, I've read that it has all kinds of health benefits, but it isn't something you should consider to be part of a strategy for weight loss.

Genuine question, what are the beneficial effects of a sauna?

Stumpy Tim

If you want the most accurate consistent measurement, try weighing yourself before you go to bed.

Not sure I agree with that - it's actually better to weigh yourself in the morning. If you weigh yourself before you go to bed, your weight will fluctuate dependent on what and when you had dinner. By doing it in the morning you don't have that problem.

The important thing is to weigh yourself at the same time of day so you're comparing oranges to oranges, and I tend to weigh myself in the mornings.

I'm doing the 5:2 diet and have lost 11 lbs in 2-3 months... almost down to 13 stone

JCL666

absurdism
Sep 23, 2011
Not sure I agree with that - it's actually better to weigh yourself in the morning. If you weigh yourself before you go to bed, your weight will fluctuate dependent on what and when you had dinner. By doing it in the morning you don't have that problem.

The important thing is to weigh yourself at the same time of day so you're comparing oranges to oranges, and I tend to weigh myself in the mornings.

I'm doing the 5:2 diet and have lost 11 lbs in 2-3 months... almost down to 13 stone

Well done! Personally I'm not a fan of 5:2 as it is a "diet" rather than a lifestyle, although I'd be interested to see if people who use it to lose weight stick with it once they've hit their target.

You're completely right that it's about consistency. The reason I suggest before you go to bed is because it'll typically give you the worst measurement. as in the heaviest. But that's just my preference.

I only weigh myself if I have an activity that requires me to be within certain boundaries (like competing), and in those instances I will weigh myself more than once a day in order to get an average and the +/- fluctuation.

Billy the Fish

Technocrat
Oct 18, 2005
Haywards Heath
The key to losing weight is to hit, or hit below the recommended fat levels and cut out sugar.

Fat is good for you, sugar is not.

It's a bit of both, but BoF is totally right. Question: If you eat 1000 kcals of broccoli on one day and 1000 kcals of ice cream on another day which one is going to make you fatter?

If you manage your macronutrients then the calories tend to look after themselves. Timing your calories needs to be taken into account as well.

Most of the diets I've seen that are based solely on calorie defecit allow you to have sugary stuff like chocolate or bulky stuff like bread and pasta(i.e simple carbs) but in small portions. There's no focus on insulin resistance caused by sugar spikes which will cause you to store fat round the belly. There's much less risk if you don't eat any of that and just stick to lots of vegetables.

Herr Tubthumper

NSC Patreon
Jul 11, 2003
The Fatherland
If you weigh yourself before you go to bed, your weight will fluctuate dependent on what and when you had dinner. By doing it in the morning you don't have that problem.

The dinner will still be there in the morning unless you shit the bed?

Herr Tubthumper

NSC Patreon
Jul 11, 2003
The Fatherland
Well done! Personally I'm not a fan of 5:2 as it is a "diet" rather than a lifestyle, although I'd be interested to see if people who use it to lose weight stick with it once they've hit their target.

You're completely right that it's about consistency. The reason I suggest before you go to bed is because it'll typically give you the worst measurement. as in the heaviest. But that's just my preference.

I only weigh myself if I have an activity that requires me to be within certain boundaries (like competing), and in those instances I will weigh myself more than once a day in order to get an average and the +/- fluctuation.

What's the 5-2?

I'm a fan of good old fashion exercise. It has worked wonders for me although for some reason since leaving the UK I have lost 2 inches on my waist.

Stumpy Tim

What's the 5-2?

I'm a fan of good old fashion exercise. It has worked wonders for me although for some reason since leaving the UK I have lost 2 inches on my waist.

The 5:2 diet limits you to 600 calories a day for two non-consecutive days a week, otherwise you just eat normally. I actually believe it can be a lifestyle rather than diet, and is certainly more sustainable than a normal diet.

I do plenty of exercise but eating 4000 less calories a week has been the difference for me

JCL666

absurdism
Sep 23, 2011
What's the 5-2?

It's a diet that in very simple terms, involves eating normally for 5 days a week and fasting for 2 (They don't have to be consecutive).

Michael Mosley was the first prominent person to promote it in the UK. He did a Horizon show on diets and basically endorsed 5:2.

You can read more about it here http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/magazine-25498742

It's very popular as people do lose weight. It's not my bag, I think it's best to eat good food (as in not f**ked with) and be active.

I agree with you though, exercise is the best, most efficient cure for being fat and unhealthy.

Paying the bills

Latest Discussions

Paying the bills

Paying the bills

Paying the bills

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here