Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Train Alert - Charlton Home (This Sat)

HawkTheSeagull

Jan 31, 2012
Eastbourne
Due to pre-planned work, trains East of Lewes will be altered this Saturday.

All day - no trains will run between Eastbourne and Hastings, buses will replace trains. From 8PM Saturday, buses will also run between Lewes and Eastbourne. Work was originally due to completely suspend all services between Lewes and Hastings all weekend to put a new signalling system in place, but since work has been badly delayed, it isnt happening anymore, so Southern have been able to put a service in place during the day Saturday.

On Sunday, all service is suspended between Lewes and Ashford.

Online journey planners not yet updated with revised services and are still showing Lewes - Eastbourne buses as running all day, which isnt the case.

Jameson

No trains between Hastings/Bexhill and Lewes all day. Normal direct service of less than an hour is now 1 hr 40 mins with potentially 2 bus journeys and only the last leg by train from Lewes to Falmer and some services from Eastbourne and Polegate involve buses too. Timetables seem to have been updated now.

Gary1

Oct 25, 2013
Seems a bit of a confusing issue. Some trains from Eastbourne etc are running during the day but others involve a bus journey. Christ knows how that works

HawkTheSeagull

Jan 31, 2012
Eastbourne
No trains between Hastings/Bexhill and Lewes all day. Normal direct service of less than an hour is now 1 hr 40 mins with potentially 2 bus journeys and only the last leg by train from Lewes to Falmer and some services from Eastbourne and Polegate involve buses too. Timetables seem to have been updated now.

Incorrect, that was the original plan, but trains are now running to/from Eastbourne. No idea why changes in the planners havent yet been made, unless the work is still going on with a reduced service running.

Why on a football day?!

The work has been planned for over a year, most engineering work is. It would be the FL who havent taken it into consideration at the time.

Silverfox

Aug 1, 2011
Eastbourne
Latest on trains - just been in to Eastbourne Station, seems that original plan that all trains will be replaced with buses has changed only because of the football but be warned, the trains they are expecting to run direct to Lewes (no trains to Falmer) are not all running as still shown on the National Rail website and there are not that many running.
At present from Eastbourne they are expecting to run trains to Lewes at 11.58 12.31 and 12.58 there may be later ones but I didn't ask.
Coming back again all change at Lewes and if you are going for a drink in Lewes afterwards expect to get the bus home after 19.00.
Not ideal but there it is.
No doubt it will be a total mess and NSC will immediately blame Oscar and Paul Barber for not sorting it out.

Poppett63

Jul 16, 2011
This seems a total cock up. National rail enquiries are saying that buses will be running between Polegate and Lewes but after a discussion with Southern Rail on Twitter tonight, they say buses are running between Lewes and Falmer! What is correct

Pinkie Brown

I'll look after the skirt
Sep 5, 2007
Neues Zeitalter DDR
Latest on trains - just been in to Eastbourne Station, seems that original plan that all trains will be replaced with buses has changed only because of the football but be warned, the trains they are expecting to run direct to Lewes (no trains to Falmer) are not all running as still shown on the National Rail website and there are not that many running.
At present from Eastbourne they are expecting to run trains to Lewes at 11.58 12.31 and 12.58 there may be later ones but I didn't ask.
Coming back again all change at Lewes and if you are going for a drink in Lewes afterwards expect to get the bus home after 19.00.
Not ideal but there it is.
No doubt it will be a total mess and NSC will immediately blame Oscar and Paul Barber for not sorting it out.

What a pigs ear. I was at Eastbourne earlier this evening and asked the question. "Are there trains to Brighton tomorrow"? The board mentioned replacement buses on Sunday but nothing about Saturday. The answer was no which surprised me as I'd heard that trains had been reinstated. However, the Southern website is showing *some* trains running to Lewes from Polegate plus others which is a replacement bus service?! The staff don't seem to be certain one way or the other - Does anyone know??

Realtime Trains and National Rail seem to have various alterations loaded. Pondering on whether to a) go a lot earlier or b) do the P & R (have never done Racecourse so I could tick that off my list). There will be more trains than usual turning round at Lewes and I get a bad feeling about that giving grief. Just needs a point failure at the wrong time, ever the pessimist.

stripeyshark

All-Time Best Defence
Dec 20, 2011
Anyone know why the 9:17 and 9:47 were cancelled from Bexhill to Lewes?!

Notters

Oct 20, 2003
Guiseley
There seem to be fewer trains from Brighton to Falmer today too, including a handy half hour gap between 13:40 and 14:10.

HawkTheSeagull

Jan 31, 2012
Eastbourne
Anyone know why the 9:17 and 9:47 were cancelled from Bexhill to Lewes?!

Because no services at all are running between Eastbourne and Hastings.

Work today is affecting signalling and I've been told that as they are still doing work between Eastbourne and Lewes, only a reduced service can run.

Half-hourly service running between Eastbourne and London to connect with Brighton services at Falmer. Regular buses will run between Eastbourne and Lewes, calling at all stations, including Berwick and Glynde which will have NO service today, and Hampden Park which will be served by only 1 train an hour.

Less frequent service between Lewes and Brighton too due to lack of space at Lewes.

An option for those travelling from Eastbourne is to use the 12 bus to/from Seaford to connect with a direct service to Falmer - bus is cheaper than the train too.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here