Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Why change a winning formation ?

TaxiRichieUK

Banned
Jun 6, 2011
Hello all,

Firstly i was at the game last night, and it was my game of the season.

Anyway my main point is why change a winning formation, especially after such a convincing performance by all the players, BUT just before half time Stephen Ward suffered from a bad tackle, and apprently as reported on the argus, played the whole of the second half with a swollen ankle

Tom Hark Preston Park

Will Post For Cash
Jul 6, 2003
Not so much worried about changing a winning formation as a winning mindset. Charlton will be infinitely more of a danger than Leicester because they're fighting for Championship survival rather than already in their heads on the beach in their bermudas. They'll doubtless come at us strongly and with purpose. And we're not very good at coping with that.

TaxiRichieUK

Banned
Jun 6, 2011
it seemed last night that OG had clearly set the team out with the mindset to attack. For a lot of the game leicester had good possesion and attacked and passed with pace, but it was Brighton who had their chances and for once took them.
Cant really see OG taking one step forwards then three steps back in regards of changing the formation, selection, mindset, after such a good result

TaxiRichieUK

Banned
Jun 6, 2011
Why.... can Kaz play twice in 5 days.... i doubt it

A lot of doubters on here have said Kaz cant start games and is better off used as an impact sub, well he proved of lot of people wrong last night didnt he ? !!!!

Hometownglory

Jan 12, 2014
It's a different type of challenge in Charlton and there is never an 'easy' game in this division but I would be disappointed if we didn't go for it. It's not just Reading we are challenging with, there is a strong chasing pack including ourselves so I don't think we can afford to be overly cautious with our intent. We need wins now, not draws.

Not only that, lets entertain our home crowd!

Machiavelli

Oct 11, 2013
Fiveways
Not so much worried about changing a winning formation as a winning mindset. Charlton will be infinitely more of a danger than Leicester because they're fighting for Championship survival rather than already in their heads on the beach in their bermudas. They'll doubtless come at us strongly and with purpose. And we're not very good at coping with that.

Isn't it that we struggle more when teams come and put eleven behind the ball, run the clock down from the start, and so on? We tend to do better when it's an open game.
And not quite sure what the OP is asking, which seems to be more about changing winning personnel, rather than formation.
I suspect that Oscar will change personnel. Ward may well be injured, which will probably see both Calde and Bruno playing. KLL doesn't often start two in a row, and we may need to protect him given there's no sign of Orlandi and Buckley, and CMS is being eased back. And then there's Ince, who I'd like to see back in the starting 11.

A lot of doubters on here have said Kaz cant start games and is better off used as an impact sub, well he proved of lot of people wrong last night didnt he ? !!!!

This a thousand times this. The amount of times people regurgitated this "fact" when the player himself was giving interviews to the Argus saying he was fit to start games. In a season that has had its frustrations, the treatment of LuaLua has been the main one

TaxiRichieUK

Banned
Jun 6, 2011
what im asking is, if the same 11 players who started last night, are fit for saturday, do we make any changes or stick with the winning side ????

plus, i dont understand why so many people are anti Kaz on here, last night he proved he can start games and proved his threat going forward, and also the fact hes looking like the same player he was before he got injured, some people need to get off his back

Never change a winning team surely is fan superstition? What sound footballing principles is it based on?

Tom Hark Preston Park

Will Post For Cash
Jul 6, 2003
Never change a winning team surely is fan superstition? What sound footballing principles is it based on?

Unless there's a very good tactical reason for changing the side, and a player is not injured, he'd feel a tad disgruntled not to start, to put it mildly. Why would he feel otherwise? Calde will do very well to put a brave face on things if he's back on the bench on Saturday. Seem to recall Jake Robinson scoring a hat-trick under Wilkins then promptly being put on the bench next game. Presumably to keep his feet on the ground. Pretty sure the player never saw it that way tho.

We are Brighton

Apr 9, 2014
Brighton
Hello all,

Firstly i was at the game last night, and it was my game of the season.

Anyway my main point is why change a winning formation, especially after such a convincing performance by all the players, BUT just before half time Stephen Ward suffered from a bad tackle, and apprently as reported on the argus, played the whole of the second half with a swollen ankle

I heard about that

TaxiRichieUK

Banned
Jun 6, 2011
so the 11 players who started last night, nobody gave a bad or mediocre performance did they ? and of the rest of the squad who is fit, are they worthy of coming back in to change things around a bit ?
So are Charlton gonna come on saturday, park the bus, play eleven behind the ball and try n hit us on the counter attack then?
i personally think what people are forgetting is we hit leicester 4-1 on their own patch last night, ending their 21 unbeaten run, its not like we are facing Barca next is it ?

TaxiRichieUK

Banned
Jun 6, 2011
Do you think Dale Stephens or Keith Andrews will be happy bunnies if they get dropped on saturday, with Ince or JFC taking their place then?

Tom Hark Preston Park

Will Post For Cash
Jul 6, 2003
i personally think what people are forgetting is we hit leicester 4-1 on their own patch last night, ending their 21 unbeaten run, its not like we are facing Barca next is it ?

We'll struggle against Charlton more than we did against Leicester. Charlton are fighting for their Championship lives and without even seeing them recently you just KNOW they'll attack our goal with more purpose than we attack theirs. The Albion have a long and unchequered record of getting crap results in games against teams at the bottom immediately after getting fantastic results against teams at the top. Depends which Albion turns out on Saturday and how much the 'twelfth man' can do to grab them by the scruff of the neck and boot them over the play-off finishing line :shrug:

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here