Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

One for all Remotes

twowheelsbest

Nov 1, 2009
Brighton
I don't often post on here seeking consumer advice , but I want to get a remote to control TV , Virgin TiVo, blu-Ray and sound bar . Looked at the reviews and all seem a bit confusing. I can't afford the Logitech models. Any NSC'ers got experience / advice they can offer please?

CheeseRolls

NSC Patron
Jan 27, 2009
Shoreham Beach
I don't often post on here seeking consumer advice , but I want to get a remote to control TV , Virgin TiVo, blu-Ray and sound bar . Looked at the reviews and all seem a bit confusing. I can't afford the Logitech models. Any NSC'ers got experience / advice they can offer please?

I have a logitech Harmony 650, which controls up to 5 devices. These usually retail around £60, but occasionally they are on sale cheaper. I think I paid £40 via Ebuyer. You need a couple of weeks to really get the feel of these things, but after that there is no going back. Set up is pretty straightforward. If there are any bargains out there, I may well replace mine, as it has a few puppy teeth marks.

binky

Aug 9, 2005
Hove
I've got an all for one which I researched thoroughly before buying.
http://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/product/B001BN336S/ref=oh_details_o06_s00_i00?ie=UTF8&psc=1

I bought it for my Raspberry Pi XBMC media player, but it was so good, I ended up putting TV, DVD, and Topfield on it as well.
It is now "Daddies Controller"... the rest of the family use the original remotes, although my youngest daughter is mounting a takeover bid for it :)

Bang for Buck, this is probably the best deal out there.
It has tons of pre-programmed modes which you can enter with a code.
If your device isn't covered by a code, it can learn the keypresses from an existing remote control.
You can also program multiple code chains into it to make it do lots of things on one keypress. (like switch TV on, switch DVD player on, and start recording on the PVR). I haven't tried this out.
It comes with a power plug which can be switched on or off by the remote control. so you could put all your AV equipment on a power strip, plug the power strip into the mains through the powerplug, and switch them all on/off at the mains using a single button press.

It controls up to 4 devices. You select which device you want to control by pressing on of 4 clearly marked buttons at the top of the control.

the only downside is that the buttons are a bit rubbery.
For a tenner, I can put up with this.
Recommended.

The what hifi report linked to above gave it 4 stars, with it priced at £40, so at £10 I'd say it is a steal.
Don't forget to go through the NSC amazon link if you buy :)

twowheelsbest

Nov 1, 2009
Brighton
Thanks everybody - going for the Harmony

Mr Bridger

Sound of the suburbs
Feb 25, 2013
Earth
A long stick?

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here