Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Albion] Dean Cox is better than Leo Ulloa

Yorkshire-Seagull

Feb 11, 2008
Well, according to FourFourTwo magazine and the football league fans anyway.

FourFourTwo have just published their annual "Top 50 players from the Football League". Only one Brighton player in there (Rohan Ince, in the mid-20's), so no place for Ulloa, Buckley, Kuszczak or Upson. Dean Cox sneaks in at number 45 though. There's no rules about how many players per team can be in the list (I think QPR have 4 in there).

I'd like to blame this on lazy journalism, but this was a poll conducted on fans who attend games, so should ideally be a fair reflection.....

Here's the top 20, in exciting reverse order...

20) Sam Winnall - Scunthorpe
19) Aaron Creswell - Ipswich
18) Matt Phillips - QPR
17) Bakary Sako - Wolves
16) Jamie Vardy - Leicester
15) Patrick Bamford - Derby
14) Fernando Forestieri - Watford
13) David Nugent - Leicester
12) Britt Assombalonga - Peterborough
11) Joey Barton - QPR
10) Jordan Rhodes - Blackburn
9) Tom Ince - Blackpool
8) Charlie Austin - QPR
7) Kieran Trippier - Burnley
6) Kasper Schmeichel - Leicester
5) Will Hughes - Derby
4) Danny Drinkwater - Leicester
3) Andy Reid - Nottingham Forest
2) Ross McCormack - Leeds
1) Danny Ings - Burnley

Brighton Breezy

Jul 5, 2003
Sussex
They ask fans to vote on players they have seen and you can't vote for your own.

Bound to get some results which fans disagree with. I imagine a lot of clubs are having a similar debate about where their best players are. The results will reflect which players stood out most to opposition fans etc. Someone like Ince, with his imposing style of play, will be more noticeable than perhaps someone like Upson who is consistently superb but would perhaps not be fully appreciated unless you see him week in, week out. You only need to look at the list to see how much it is dominated by attacking players or midfield playmakers.

All that being said, I don't think too many people could disagree too much with the top twenty list above, so although the methodology might not be perfect, the results are not too far off accurate.

mikeyjh

Dec 17, 2008
Llanymawddwy
I don't know too much about the League one players, but I think that's a pretty accurate reflection of the season. I don't think it's a huge surprise to see midfielders and forwards so prominent, nor so that players from the top 4 feature so often....

One Teddy Maybank

NSC Patreon
Aug 4, 2006
Worthing
Dean Cox? Just shows how much the average football fan knows. Ok league one player, but would never cut it at a higher level. Poyet sussed him out quite quickly.

Bevendean Hillbilly

Sep 4, 2006
Nestling in green nowhere
Dean Cox? Just shows how much the average football fan knows. Ok league one player, but would never cut it at a higher level. Poyet sussed him out quite quickly.

Disagree strongly with that. Tiny had some problems with his game notably his total inability to clear the first man when he took a corner or free kick (probably more noticeable when both were at The Albion because SALDE insisted on him taking them despite him being shit at dead ball situations) and his nervy finishing. From what I've seen of him at Orient he has improved a lot in those areas and is impressing oppo fans.

Cox was such a confusing player. He was either a match winner with his pace and positional play or he was just an also ran. I always thought that he was easily good enough to play at the highest level and that he was too much of a lightweight against the big physical players in the lower leagues who could get away with crunching him in ways that they never could at the more scrutinised and better refereed games in the championship or the prem.

He has pace to burn and is great with the ball. He's missed the boat now of course but I thought he was good enough when I watched him at withers and Orient have given him a free role that suits him well. He was never hungry enough to force his way into the top flight in my view. I miss him though. Great little player on his day.

One Teddy Maybank

NSC Patreon
Aug 4, 2006
Worthing
Disagree strongly with that. Tiny had some problems with his game notably his total inability to clear the first man when he took a corner or free kick (probably more noticeable when both were at The Albion because SALDE insisted on him taking them despite him being shit at dead ball situations) and his nervy finishing. From what I've seen of him at Orient he has improved a lot in those areas and is impressing oppo fans.

Cox was such a confusing player. He was either a match winner with his pace and positional play or he was just an also ran. I always thought that he was easily good enough to play at the highest level and that he was too much of a lightweight against the big physical players in the lower leagues who could get away with crunching him in ways that they never could at the more scrutinised and better refereed games in the championship or the prem.

He has pace to burn and is great with the ball. He's missed the boat now of course but I thought he was good enough when I watched him at withers and Orient have given him a free role that suits him well. He was never hungry enough to force his way into the top flight in my view. I miss him though. Great little player on his day.

Take those rose tinted glasses off - he was poor at best. I'm pleased that he is doing well for Orient, but league 1 is his level nothing higher.

Paying the bills

Latest Discussions

Paying the bills

Paying the bills

Paying the bills

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here