Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Why is TSLR closing?

Terry Butcher Tribute Act

Aug 18, 2013
I see they've just Tweeted.

Strange, given they lasted a few seasons at Withdean you'd have thought they'd have been making decent money now. Clearly not.

A shame, can't fault any 'zine about the Albion, especially one that's just a quid.

Perhaps it was the picture with Obika...

edna krabappel

NSC Patron
Jul 7, 2003
Bearing in mind that many national & regional newspapers are struggling left, right and centre, I'm not sure why you're surprised.

I tend to think of fanzines as something from the 1980s and 1990s, when supporters had few other sources of non-officially sanctioned news about their club, and no other voice.

wellquickwoody

Many More Voting Years
NSC Patron
Aug 10, 2007
Melbourne
Thank you TSLR for your many years of a work of love.

4-p

Sep 3, 2011
Shoreham
Print's tough and a fanzine takes a lot of time and coordination and TSLR haa a lot if pages.
Could easily get away with half the content for a quid
maybe more of an online presence could keep something rolling?

Barrel of Fun

Abort, retry, fail
The blog is going to continue according to a contributor I met today.

I'd imagine it is a hassle and they can now enjoy pre-match shenanigans without having to stand outside selling.

It's been a pretty good run!

The Large One

Who's Next?
Jul 7, 2003
97.2FM
I see they've just Tweeted.

Strange, given they lasted a few seasons at Withdean you'd have thought they'd have been making decent money now. Clearly not.

A shame, can't fault any 'zine about the Albion, especially one that's just a quid.

Perhaps it was the picture with Obika...

Or perhaps they might want to spend more time with their families - as the saying goes. These things take an awful lot of spare time to write, design, collate and produce, with no guarantee of any meaningful return.

Good luck to Sam and Stefan, and thanks for all their hard work in providing an important part to the culture of Brighton fans.

Bozza

You can change this
Helpful Moderator
Jul 4, 2003
Back in Sussex
Scars & Stripes went through a similar cycle - started at Gillingham (not the best of business plans, that) and then we turned it in not too long into the Withdean years.

It's a really, really hard slog. Not just putting the thing together - chasing contributors and the like, but then spending what should be pre-match pub fun time, out on the streets trying to get your print money back.

I have massive admiration for anyone taking it on and keeping it going as long as they have, but also no surprise when anyone in that position calls it a day.

Terry Butcher Tribute Act

Aug 18, 2013
Fair play if it's for lifestyle reasons, would make sense actually. Having to try and flog an issue rather than knock back a few pints EVERY week must feel a chore after a while.

Just surprised if it's for business reasons, purely because they slogged it out at Withdean and now have 5 times as many people to flog too. Then again, costs have doubt increased where price hasn't, maybe they didn't want to go all Barber on us.

Ah well, let's hope it's not the last ever Albion fanzine.

Bozza

You can change this
Helpful Moderator
Jul 4, 2003
Back in Sussex
Just surprised if it's for business reasons, purely because they slogged it out at Withdean and now have 5 times as many people to flog too.

Has anyone informed said that is the reason? I have no insight personally, but I'd be surprised if it is.

That said, we at S&S found that an increase in crowd doesn't translate to the same increase in sales. Withdean was core Albion support and would have a high number of fanzine buyers. I doubt the so-called JCLs buy in an equal proportion.

Pinkie Brown

I'll look after the skirt
Sep 5, 2007
Neues Zeitalter DDR
Producing and selling a Fanzine is hugely time consuming. Trying to combine it with such hindrances as work, home life and sleeping is a fine juggling act. There comes a time when you simply think "enough". Its not just a case of throwing a few words together. It also has to be up to date and something readable, entertaining and topical which will keep the punters coming back. Being 'up to the minute' in the modern age of the internet is simply not possible. By the time it goes to print, chances are an article is old news.

I don't know the guys who produced it but they have done a fantastic job to keep producing TSLR for so long. Sadly, I fear print Fanzines in the digital age have had their day although of course, there's always scope for something online.

janee

Fur half
Oct 19, 2008
Lentil land
It's not for business reasons although I know they've only been interested in covering costs and the odd contribution to charity. They both have jobs and Stefan manages a Sunday league team. Going out on a high and keeping the blog.

They're keen for someone else to take over the mantle I believe

dougdeep

May 9, 2004
SUNNY SEAFORD
It's tougher than ever to keep a mag fresh and funny. If anyone would like to buy old copies at vastly inflated prices just let me know.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here