Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Hitachi tv

BensGrandad

Jul 13, 2003
Haywards Heath
Am thinking of buying a Hitachi TV 42in that Argos have on discounted price. Has anybody on here got this model Hitachi HXT12U and if so a couple of questions is it generally any good, does it have standard audio plugs in the back to pkug in my existing surround sound or will I need to buy a new one and why do you need a dongle with it As you can imagine I am a nightmare with such things but need a new tv.

Fungus

NSC Patreon
May 21, 2004
Truro
If I were you, I'd be checking the customer reviews on Argos and Amazon.

father_and_son

Jan 23, 2012
Under the Police Box
All audio/video connectors are "standard", no one but Apple use weird plugs that no one uses any more... except of course there are a number of different technological improvements that happen over time and occasionally really old stuff gets left behind. For audio worst case is you need the red/white plugs if your surround sound system is VERY old.

One thing I would say though is Hitachi haven't made a decent piece of electrical equipment in a couple of decades! Stick to Samsung/LG/Sony/Panasonic.

AIT76

The wisdom of a fool
Jul 29, 2004
why do you need a dongle with it

The dongle will be to provide wireless connection to the internet when using the smart functions, which will be necessary if you can't connect it to your router using a cable. (Though why a tv that supposedly retailed at £450 doesn't have integrated wifi is somewhat baffling...)

skipper734

Registered ruffian
Aug 9, 2008
Curdridge
Not sure about Hitachi quality, but that is pretty inexpensive. Depends where your router is in relation to the TV whether you need a dongle or not. Plug it in if you can, the dongle is to provide wireless connectivity. Surround sound connectivity should be fine.

CheeseRolls

NSC Patreon
Jan 27, 2009
Shoreham Beach
Am thinking of buying a Hitachi TV 42in that Argos have on discounted price. Has anybody on here got this model Hitachi HXT12U and if so a couple of questions is it generally any good, does it have standard audio plugs in the back to pkug in my existing surround sound or will I need to buy a new one and why do you need a dongle with it As you can imagine I am a nightmare with such things but need a new tv.

Seems like a decent set for the price. I have a 4 year old Hitachi, that I am still happy with. Having said that there are noticeably better sets available if you spend £400., see this LG Set for an example http://www.richersounds.com/product/tv---all/lg/42ln575v/lg-42ln575v

The WiFi dongle must be for the SMART TV functions. I wouldn't have high expectations of these on an Hitachi TV to be honest. There is an AV input listed. I was a little confused as to why you would want to use this, but I guess you want to use the inbuilt Freeview tuner. On the Argos Q&A it says that audio output is not supported and you have to use the headphone socket. Also note the HDMI ports also don't support audio. What is your existing surround sound and does it support ARC (audio return Channel) ? which means you only need to connect one HDMI cable.

Joey Jo Jo Jr. Shabadoo

Waxing chumps like candles since ‘75
Oct 4, 2003
Always worth checking out avforums website for reviews, they normally have technical and reviews from consumers so you can get a good idea if a model is any good.

http://www.avforums.com

Zukey Seagull

Jun 23, 2013
Worthing
i find whathifi a great website for everything electrical. I would rather shop at a local shop like a richer sounds as you would get better information and more value for money. i shop at richersounds or hills radio on boundary road down in brighton area.

here is the whathifi website which give you reviews of the best tvs within a budget
http://www.whathifi.com/best-buys/tvs

Paying the bills

Latest Discussions

Paying the bills

Paying the bills

Paying the bills

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here