Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

David Burke's Albion signings

Ⓩ-Ⓐ-Ⓜ-Ⓞ-Ⓡ-Ⓐ

Hove / Παρος
Apr 7, 2006
Hove / Παρος
Seeing as a lot of people are pointing fingers at Burke regarding poor player acquisition, I have compiled a list of all signings the Albion have made since Burkes arrival late in 2011. I have gone through the players and rated them as successful signings or not successful signings. Obviously this is an objective analysis, but I don't think there will be too many of you who disagree with my "rating". Development squad signings are hard to judge, they may flourish next season, however as of know only Rohan Ince looks like he has been a successful dev squad signing.

Looking at the results, it seems like we have around a 50% success rate with player acquisition. Is this good enough? I have no idea how it compares with other clubs, but to met it seems like we really need to improve our player recruitment, especially with FFP looming and our heavy losses.

JANUARY WINDOW 2012
Abdul Razak (loan)
Gai Assulin (loan)
Sam Vokes (loan)
David Gozalez
Joey Mattock (loan)
Ben Dickenson (dev)

SUMMER WINDOW 2012
David Lopez
Andrea Orlandi
Dean Hammond (loan)

Stephen Dobbie
Andrew Crofts
Grant Smith (dev)
Wayne Bridge (loan)
Oatway Jnr (dev)
Tomasz Kuszczak
Bruno

JANUARY WINDOW 2013
Rohan Ince (dev)
Matty Upson (loan)
Leonardo Ulloa

Maksimenko (dev)

SUMMER WINDOW 2013
Craig Conway (loan)
Stephen Ward (loan)

Keith Andrews (loan)
Kemy Agustein
Adam Chicksen (dev)
Matty Upson

JANUARY WINDOW 2014
Jesse Lingard (loan)
David Rodriguez
Dale Stephens
Jeffrey Monakana (dev)
Jonathan Obika (loan)
Leroy Lita (loan)

LOANS
6 out of 13 successful - 46% SUCCESS RATE

DEVELOPMENT SIGNINGS
1 out of 7 successful (may improve) - 14% SUCCESS RATE

FIRST TEAM SQUAD SIGNINGS
8 out of 12 successful - 66% SUCCESS RATE

OVERALL 32 SINGINGS, 15 SUCCESSFUL 46% SUCCESS RATE

OVERALL (excluding dev squad signings) 25 SINGINGS, 14 SUCCESSFUL 56% SUCCESS RATE

Apologies if I have made mistakes with the calculations, did this in a bit of a rush this morning before work, and haven't had time to check.

Stat Brother

NSC Patreon
Jul 11, 2003
West west west Sussex
Point of order.

Despite what many say, Burke hasn't made any signings.

Oh and Summer 2012 was coup-tastic.

Mellotron

I've asked for soup
Jul 2, 2008
Brighton
Ⓩ-Ⓐ-Ⓜ-Ⓞ-Ⓡ-Ⓐ;6278165 said:
Seeing as a lot of people are pointing fingers at Burke regarding poor player acquisition, I have compiled a list of all signings the Albion have made since Burkes arrival late in 2011. I have gone through the players and rated them as successful signings or not successful signings. Obviously this is an objective analysis, but I don't think there will be too many of you who disagree with my "rating". Development squad signings are hard to judge, they may flourish next season, however as of know only Rohan Ince looks like he has been a successful dev squad signing.

Looking at the results, it seems like we have around a 50% success rate with player acquisition. Is this good enough? I have no idea how it compares with other clubs, but to met it seems like we really need to improve our player recruitment, especially with FFP looming and our heavy losses.

JANUARY WINDOW 2012
Abdul Razak (loan)
Gai Assulin (loan)
Sam Vokes (loan)
David Gozalez
Joey Mattock (loan)
Ben Dickenson (dev)

SUMMER WINDOW 2012
David Lopez
Andrea Orlandi
Dean Hammond (loan)

Stephen Dobbie
Andrew Crofts
Grant Smith (dev)
Wayne Bridge (loan)
Oatway Jnr (dev)
Tomasz Kuszczak
Bruno

JANUARY WINDOW 2013
Rohan Ince (dev)
Matty Upson (loan)
Leonardo Ulloa

Maksimenko (dev)

SUMMER WINDOW 2013
Craig Conway (loan)
Stephen Ward (loan)

Keith Andrews (loan)
Kemy Agustein
Adam Chicksen (dev)
Matty Upson

JANUARY WINDOW 2014
Jesse Lingard (loan)
David Rodriguez
Dale Stephens
Jeffrey Monakana (dev)
Jonathan Obika (loan)
Leroy Lita (loan)

LOANS
6 out of 13 successful - 46% SUCCESS RATE

DEVELOPMENT SIGNINGS
1 out of 7 successful (may improve) - 14% SUCCESS RATE

FIRST TEAM SQUAD SIGNINGS
8 out of 12 successful - 66% SUCCESS RATE

OVERALL 32 SINGINGS, 15 SUCCESSFUL 46% SUCCESS RATE

OVERALL (excluding dev squad signings) 25 SINGINGS, 14 SUCCESSFUL 56% SUCCESS RATE

Apologies if I have made mistakes with the calculations, did this in a bit of a rush this morning before work, and haven't had time to check.

I would argue Vokes could be put down as a success - he did exactly the job he was brought in to do, held the ball up well and scored a few. Also some would argue Andrews a success also...

Tubby-McFat-Fuc

May 2, 2013
Brighton
Problem with that is, I think we have the players to suceed.

But hey, lets not point a finger at a manager who seems intent on playing wingers through the center, and strikers out on the wings and then wonders why we can't score.

So instead of trying to find a scapegoat behind the scenes, maybe we should look at the games and how we play and make a judgement on that.

strings

Moving further North...
Feb 19, 2006
Barnsley
I would argue Vokes could be put down as a success - he did exactly the job he was brought in to do, held the ball up well and scored a few. Also some would argue Andrews a success also...

I was about to make the exact same point about Vokes. I thought he was good, unlike most of the other loanee strikers we have seen in the last few years.

hans kraay fan club

The voice of reason.
Helpful Moderator
Mar 16, 2005
Chandlers Ford
How exactly do you arrive at the conclusion that the signings of Lingard. Maksimenko, Monakana and Chicksen are 'unsuccesful'?

Flawed.

Pavilionaire

Jul 7, 2003
Pre-summer 2013 = good, thereafter = bad. Even the 3 'bold' signings in the "bad" period are all what I'd call decent, as opposed to special.

It's almost as if the accounts came out on the morning of the home Palace match and the management pulled the plug on the spot.

Nathan

Jan 8, 2010
The problem this season is that only 3 out of 12 have been successful (25%). And some of the successful ones of the previous season have either been injured or lost form.

bhawoddy

Jan 25, 2011
The problem is, there are only so many players available during windows of opportunity. Some will fit, most wont. I think gambles have to be taken and some wont work out.

The way round it is to have a blank cheque book..........

Ⓩ-Ⓐ-Ⓜ-Ⓞ-Ⓡ-Ⓐ

Hove / Παρος
Apr 7, 2006
Hove / Παρος
How exactly do you arrive at the conclusion that the signings of Lingard. Maksimenko, Monakana and Chicksen are 'unsuccesful'?

Flawed.

Like I said, it's an objective point of view. But you would hardly say their contributions have been successful. Lingard was brought in to score goals... I also said, that dev squad signings are hard to judge as they may come good in the future. That is exactly why I looked at the total signings with and without dev squad signings (Maksi, Moanaka and Chicksen) and looked at the respective "success rates". Re read what i wrote.

greyseagull

Jul 1, 2012
West Worthing
I seem to remember some of the taunts being aimed in Conway's direction throughout the first half of his loan period. "Not interested"; "Doesn't even look like a footballer"; "Send the p**** back to Cardiff"; "He's just a poor man's Dobbie and that's saying something" etc. etc..

A few good games and bang - he becomes a necessity.

Fickle.

Machiavelli

Oct 11, 2013
Fiveways

Flawed.

Those were the exact same players that I had in mind, but I don't think that makes the exercise flawed. Quite the contrary, Zamora has done a good service here, but those examples suggest that there should perhaps be another category such as 'to be decided'/'under review'.

Seagull58

In the Algarve
Jan 31, 2012
Vilamoura, Portugal
Ⓩ-Ⓐ-Ⓜ-Ⓞ-Ⓡ-Ⓐ;6278193 said:
Like I said, it's an objective point of view. But you would hardly say their contributions have been successful. Lingard was brought in to score goals... I also said, that dev squad signings are hard to judge as they may come good in the future. That is exactly why I looked at the total signings with and without dev squad signings (Maksi, Moanaka and Chicksen) and looked at the respective "success rates". Re read what i wrote.

It's a subjective view, not an objective view.

Machiavelli

Oct 11, 2013
Fiveways
Ⓩ-Ⓐ-Ⓜ-Ⓞ-Ⓡ-Ⓐ;6278193 said:

You surely mean subjective, rather than objective.

father_and_son

Jan 23, 2012
Under the Police Box
Dickenson, Chicksen, Maksimenko, Monakano all potentially good signings. Admundssen (?spelling?) also came into dev squad in this time frame and he's another good potential. Although they may not end up as Albion first team players, the decision to bring them into the dev squad may have been financial, it could be that we have seen potential to sell on at some point for a profit!

I'd also argue Lita was a "panic buy" that had to be made and whether he worked or not was luck and as for Oatway Jnr - not sure that someone else (who is no longer with us) wasn't behind that one!

Dobbie's face didn't fit... not sure who's fault that was... on paper I think he was a good choice.

The only really poor decision I see was Obika. He was never the right man for the job here. Just too good!

Paying the bills

Latest Discussions

Paying the bills

Paying the bills

Paying the bills

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here