Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Should it be a woman's right.......

Napper

Jul 9, 2003
Sussex
Not ideal as kids need a mother and father but as long as she doesnt fleece the bloke then so be it.

Often probably a cop out to not work though.

father_and_son

Jan 23, 2012
Under the Police Box
Provided that they can demonstrate the financial and emotional resources necessary - child friendly job/money in the bank - extended family including male role models - etc etc. Then I see no reason why not (provided its by IVF from donated sperm - not just fleecing some bloke after a bunk up!)

The sort of tests required to foster/adopt should apply, but anyone passing them should be able to whether single/married/gay/straight/etc. (Pretty sure there should be similar tests before ANYONE is allowed to have children, single or not!)

Pavilionaire

Jul 7, 2003
Hypothetically, if I had a sister and she wanted children and she'd been messed around by her previous partners and was 40-odd then I'd want her to have the opportunity to have her own child.

Presently, you see this with affluent single women in the 35-43 age bracket. I know of two or three women who have done this.

Uncle C

Jul 6, 2004
Bishops Stortford
Many teenagers already do.

wellquickwoody

Many More Voting Years
NSC Patron
Aug 10, 2007
Melbourne
Should the woman be able to claim child benefit, financial help with childcare, family credit allowance? When fathers are absent, in most cases the CSA will look to make a claim against his earnings, what about in this case?

This just seems to open up a massive can of worms.

And should single men have the right to adopt?

Baldseagull

Jan 26, 2012
Crawley
No. It is not a right, but it is a choice she can make if she feels financially secure, why not?
If some potless bird on benefits were to demand IVF on the NHS with anonymous donor, I think not. But I would not have IVF on the NHS at all if it were down to me, plenty of kids needing families out there, but we pay for them to be fostered whilst also paying for the infertile to get pregnant, nuts.

beorhthelm

A. Virgo, Football Genius
Jul 21, 2003
a right? no. not unless we've started redefining "right" as being anything one fancies as a life style choice, which some do. that is not to say there should be any objection to her doing so, just there shouldnt be expectation that society and in particular the health service and state should be expected to support this choice.

HastingsSeagull

Jan 13, 2010
BGC Manila
If a single women can then a single guy should be able to too.

Harder to convince someone to do the other bit as it's 1000 times more work but possible I'm sure

The Large One

Who's Next?
Jul 7, 2003
97.2FM
a right? no. not unless we've started redefining "right" as being anything one fancies as a life style choice, which some do. that is not to say there should be any objection to her doing so, just there shouldnt be expectation that society and in particular the health service and state should be expected to support this choice.

Yeah, let's withdraw state and NHS support because they're single mums.

nwgull

Jul 25, 2003
Manchester
She should be given the choice, but it should not be something that is available on the NHS. I don't see a woman getting a sperm donor as any different to a woman having no-strings sex with a bloke to get pregnant. The only difference being that any bloke that does this is liable to pay child support for 18 years.

beorhthelm

A. Virgo, Football Genius
Jul 21, 2003

Mellotron

I've asked for soup
Jul 2, 2008
Brighton

Agreed. This isn't a right, it's a welcome benefit.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here