Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Would replacing Jones with Calderon as assistant manager improve things next season?

Buzzer

Languidly Clinical
Oct 1, 2006
I just wonder if this could help things at a stroke. I get the feeling seeing Calde urging the players on when warming up on the touchline that he has the respect of the senior squad and he also has the passion that Oatway perhaps brought to Poyet's management set-up that Taricco was never going to provide. I also think that Calde is the more intelligent footballer with a better reading of the game than Jones.

And I can't think of a single fan who wouldn't love the sight of Calde as part of our management team. Has anyone suggested this to Tony?

Munkfish

May 1, 2006
I think it would please the fans and I'm pretty sure some of the players would be happy with the change too.

Don't think it will happen, but would be nice to see.

shaolinpunk

[Insert witty title here]
Nov 28, 2005
Brighton
I hope he becomes manager some day - he'd look damn sharp on the touchline in a suit

PFA%20Player%20in%20the%20Community.ashx

maltaseagull

Feb 25, 2009
Zabbar- Malta
I just wonder if this could help things at a stroke. I get the feeling seeing Calde urging the players on when warming up on the touchline that he has the respect of the senior squad and he also has the passion that Oatway perhaps brought to Poyet's management set-up that Taricco was never going to provide. I also think that Calde is the more intelligent footballer with a better reading of the game than Jones.

And I can't think of a single fan who wouldn't love the sight of Calde as part of our management team. Has anyone suggested this to Tony?

I will email him now :)

Tom Hark Preston Park

Will Post For Cash
Jul 6, 2003
Totally agree. Taricco just sat there looking uninterested in the Albion dugout (and is doing the same at Sunderland) and Nathan Jones footballing intelligence and fire in belly hardly shone through when he was a player here. OK he speaks Spanish, but Calde speaks Spanish BETTER. And has an infectious energy about him. The club desperately needs to instil the same kind of all-for-one one-for-all fighting spirit that took us far further than we had any right to go at Withdean. Lame pre-match huddles at the Amex just seem fake. There's no team spirit there, just a bunch of strangers thrown together to do the only job they know. With a few honourable exceptions, there's no spark there. Just won't do.

Stat Brother

NSC Patreon
Jul 11, 2003
West west west Sussex
[MENTION=5200]Buzzer[/MENTION] fishing for 'thumbs up'. :lol:

I thought that was beneath you B.

Simster

"the man's an arse"
Jul 7, 2003
Surrey
I'd happily see it, if only to cnt off Nathan Jones, who saw fit to do the same to our fans all those years ago.

He'll always be a total cock to me whereas Calde is a legend. No brainer, get Calde in.

Superphil

Dismember
Jul 7, 2003
In a pile of football shirts
Can anyone explain with specific information why Jones is disliked by a number of people on here? I'm not after baseless general dislike or distrust of him, but more, what is it he has (or hasn't) done for the club that someone else would do?

albion534

Mar 4, 2010
Brighton, United Kingdom
Can anyone explain with specific information why Jones is disliked by a number of people on here? I'm not after baseless general dislike or distrust of him, but more, what is it he has (or hasn't) done for the club that someone else would do?

A lot stems down to how he got Murray? Sent off when he played for Yeovil I think

Buckley's Mad Eye

Oct 27, 2012
Great idea. Calde has the intelligence to become a top manager, in fact lets bin the whole lot of them (Garcia, Jones et al) and replace with a Calde/Orlandi combo.

Cowfold Seagull

Fan of the 17 bus
Apr 22, 2009
Cowfold
i would happily take relegation next season if Calde was manager.

That's ridiculous, After pushing so hard for, and coming so close to, the promised land that is the Premier League, l wouldn't take relegation at any cost!

And as passionate and committed to the club as Calde undoubtably is, does he actually have any coaching skills?

Rogero

Aug 4, 2010
Shoreham

Agreed, I cannot understand why certain people have it in for him. Can someone explain please.

Pavilionaire

Jul 7, 2003
How can anyone on here have any idea as to the Assistant Coaching abilities of Nathan Jones? Unless you see the guy in training it's all speculation.

Playing Devil's Advocate, you could just as easily come to the conclusion he's a brilliant coach because one of our best players this season happens to be Stephen Ward, a left wing-back just like Jones.

If you take the Poyet / Oscar era as a whole then Calde encapsulates all that has been good about the resurgence of this club, and it will be a sad day when he leaves.

Paying the bills

Latest Discussions

Paying the bills

Paying the bills

Paying the bills

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here