Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Anyone thinking Gus maybe wondering why he didnt stay

Neecha

Jul 10, 2012
London
He would never admit it but he must now be looking back and thinking why didn't I stick it out another year with us.
I admit he's gained some valuable experience working in the premier league but I think he has damaged his reputation moving to Sunderland especially if they go down which looks very likely.

The grass is not always greener

fosters headband

Aug 15, 2003
Brighton
He would never admit it but he must now be looking back and thinking why didn't I stick it out another year with us.
I admit he's gained some valuable experience working in the premier league but I think he has damaged his reputation moving to Sunderland especially if they go down which looks very likely.

The grass is not always greener

I thought he was forced out anyway.

Neecha

Jul 10, 2012
London
He manufactured the sequence of events so was very much in his hands to avoid it happening. Hindsight and all that

Superphil

Dismember
Jul 7, 2003
In a pile of football shirts
He was sacked for misconduct, he didn't choose to leave.

Acker79

NSC Patron
Nov 15, 2008
Brighton
Ignoring that he was sacked (and whether he would have quit anyway), I think if he is regretting his current predicament, it will likely be that he took the first Premier League availability, rather than that he didn't stay with us.

Icy Gull

Back on the rollercoaster
Jul 5, 2003
I was thinking about this earlier this evening. Even with the fact that he has come out and said that Brighton was painful in the last few months, he came within a whisker of taking us up. How much better might we have done if he hadn't lost enthusiasm. Anyone who saw his demeanour from the off in the play off semis second leg would have to think that he'd lost interest by that game.

If we'd gone up wouldn't he have had a better chance of staying up with a squad that he'd built than he has done at Sunderland, with the inevitable upgrading of players he would have got.

I'd like to think he has some regrets.

nicko31

Jan 7, 2010
Gods country fortnightly
There's nothing wrong with ambition, but Gus had it good with us. Still at least this time he'll get some money for being sacked..

Neecha

Jul 10, 2012
London
Ignoring that he was sacked (and whether he would have quit anyway), I think if he is regretting his current predicament, it will likely be that he took the first Premier League availability, rather than that he didn't stay with us.

Just makes you think that the ceiling comments and the rest of the carry on he created with TB was all so he could have his chance to work in the premier league which he chose to do with Sunderland and look at the outcome. He should have kept his head down after the palace game stuck it out this season and had he not got us up then moved on.

Last edited:

Superphil

Dismember
Jul 7, 2003
In a pile of football shirts
Just makes you think that the ceiling comments and the rest of the carry on he created with TB was all so he could have his chance to work in the premier league which he choose to do with Sunderland and look at the outcome. He should have kept his head down after the palace game stuck it out this season and had he not got us up then moved on.

Makes a lot of sense, I also think that if we had got promoted, we wouldn't have been whipping boys, 30k sell outs every week, wealthy chairman, astute running of the club, I think, when we get there, we'll be in a good position to stay there.

Neecha

Jul 10, 2012
London
Makes a lot of sense, I also think that if we had got promoted, we wouldn't have been whipping boys, 30k sell outs every week, wealthy chairman, astute running of the club, I think, when we get there, we'll be in a good position to stay there.

It was HIS team not loads of players put together through various other managers. The difference is the players wanted to play for Poyet and he managed to get that bit extra from most. It was a good gig for him and in keeping with Swansea City's rise. Its a shame he lost his mind and got greedy

Last edited:

Tooting Gull

Jul 5, 2003
Some people just have this blind arrogance, reluctance to acknowledge any personal shortcomings and inability to see things rationally.

Of course Poyet SHOULD have some regrets, he was on a great number with a flourishing club whose ambition DID match his whatever he says, perfect match in many ways.

He was loved by the fans, respected by the players, and indulged by the board.

But he went too far, took the piss, and f**ked it all up for everyone.

He may well go on to do better with some other club than he would have with us, but we and he will never know what would have happened if he hadn't downed tools in about March and thought long term at Brighton.

That on its own gives clear room for reflection and regret, but he may not be the type.

Neecha

Jul 10, 2012
London
Easy to say l know, but with Gus still at the helm l'm convinced we would have won promotion to the promised land this season.

Im with you on this one. He would have got involved in transfers that's for sure and above all would have taken the momentum he had last year into this season.

countryman

Jun 28, 2011
He got to go in a league cup final and gave Man City a run for their money in it. I doubt he's regretting that.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here