Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Anyone want to buy some cheap euros?

I'm going to be in UK on Thursday and I need to change some euros into sterling.

The Post Office make a big thing about how competetive they are, I've just checked their website and if I change 500 euros they will give me £364.96

But if you then buy those 500 euros from the Post office they will charge you £422.80

That's a HUGE profit to the Post Office of £57.84

So if you need some euros, how about we do a private deal, I will swap you 500 euros for £394.00

That way we are both well over £25 better off,.

Anybody interested? I will be at the Charlton game so can pass them over then or meet you somewhere else if you aren't going on Saturday

Commander

NSC Patron
Apr 28, 2004
London
No thank you.

To be honest, this is actually a very good thread. The offers of 'no commission' are a con when the spread on the Euro is often +/- 20 cents and on the dollar often over 30c.

On lesser currencies the percentage is even greater. And post office are far from the worse offender. At the airport the spread can be double!

Questions

Habitual User
Oct 18, 2006
Worthing
What's worth ten times more in this country than it is in Poland ?

Good trivia question this.

Euros sold. If anyone's interested another time just let me know, I'm back fairly frequently.

Might take you up on this, what's your exchange rate for root veg btw?

Found out about Jarramplas/Piornal from my sister in law last week. Pelting some Ned Kelly "lookalike" in armour with turnips, it could only be Spain - marvellous stuff.

Questions

Habitual User
Oct 18, 2006
Worthing
Are you serious? I may be able to do something as I'm likely to be back in UK around that time (even if we aren't in the play-off final!

Well if it's cheaper than worthings Bureau de change in chapel road then yes. Going to italy at the start of June.

The Maharajah of Sydney

Jul 7, 2003
Sydney .
I'm going to be in UK on Thursday and I need to change some euros into sterling.

The Post Office make a big thing about how competetive they are, I've just checked their website and if I change 500 euros they will give me £364.96

But if you then buy those 500 euros from the Post office they will charge you £422.80

That's a HUGE profit to the Post Office of £57.84

So if you need some euros, how about we do a private deal, I will swap you 500 euros for £394.00

That way we are both well over £25 better off,.

Anybody interested? I will be at the Charlton game so can pass them over then or meet you somewhere else if you aren't going on Saturday

Hey Cadiz, just a heads-up. You are being more than generous with your exchange rate.
That rate from the Post Office is not an equal mark-up, it is heavily skewed in favour to the buyer of Euros.
The spot rate for EUR/GBP is currently around 0.8275. So, using this true rate , €500 = £414 ( 500 x 0.8275 )
And that €300 you've got leftover equates to about £248.

EURGBP  1 hour chart.jpg

For future reference, the midpoint on the exchange rates listed on a website like this one offer a much fairer reflection ;

http://mc24.ch/24inch.html

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here