Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Bournemouth - in praise of Eddie Howe

At Burnley, he seemed to be a bit of a dour manager who produced physical nuggety teams that were difficult to play against and you wouldnt pay too much money to watch.

But look at the teams he is now picking that has given them a great late shout at the play-offs.

Two strikers Grabban and Kermorgant and two other decent ones to bring on too - but crucially none of them big stars who cost big money, and all mostly made their name in lower leagues.

Most interesting for me the midfield 4 - two out and out attacking wingers in Ritchie and Pugh. But then look at the central two, Arter and Surman, both ball-playing attack minded midfielders who pose a goal threat, and play a quick pass and move game. Where is the defensive midfielder? None of Howe's team fit that pigeonhole.

Then the defence of course held together by Elphick and Cook. I personally thought Gus did the right thing with the former but was sorry Cook was let go.

This is an attacking team put together with little big spend in transfer fees and wages. It shows what can be done at this level. I actually believe it's the kind of thing Bloom wants to acheive here, generous spending on infrastructure but costs kept relatively low on players (obviously we have and will in the future spend much more on players than B'muff).

Credit to Howe, who is doing it for his chairman.

Thunder Bolt

Silly old bat
They could afford to offer Grabban more than us.

Bournemouth were a physical niggly side when he was manager in League 1, before he went to Burnley (swearing blind to the Cherries the night before that he wasn't going to leave them) I remember Tommy Elphick getting a nasty elbow in the face and Ankergren having his nose broken at Withdean.

They could afford to offer Grabban more than us

Yes they could afford to do that - but we could have won in a bidding war if we wanted, which we didnt want to enter, and maybe rightly.

But they are a less wealthy club than us and they got Grabban and we got Lingard. It's disappointing however way you cut it, isn't it?

Simster

"the man's an arse"
Jul 7, 2003
Surrey
But they are a less wealthy club than us and they got Grabban and we got Lingard. It's disappointing however way you cut it, isn't it?
It is disappointing that we are in a shocking run of form - 2 points in 5 matches have ruined our chances.

But Grabban? Well let's see. Grabban's scoring record wasn't all that remarkable when we triggered that clause to speak to him. Obviously he's had a great second half to the season, but I'm not entirely convinced this isn't just a bit of form he's found.

I remember Tommy Elphick getting a nasty elbow in the face

Ironic eh, perhaps Elphick best sums up this two sides of Eddie Howe. You would think Elphick is now a big fan, this is the manager that is finally fulfilling the career potential that we glimpsed here

algie

The moaning of life
Jan 8, 2006
In rehab
At Burnley, he seemed to be a bit of a dour manager who produced physical nuggety teams that were difficult to play against and you wouldnt pay too much money to watch.

But look at the teams he is now picking that has given them a great late shout at the play-offs.

Two strikers Grabban and Kermorgant and two other decent ones to bring on too - but crucially none of them big stars who cost big money, and all mostly made their name in lower leagues.

Most interesting for me the midfield 4 - two out and out attacking wingers in Ritchie and Pugh. But then look at the central two, Arter and Surman, both ball-playing attack minded midfielders who pose a goal threat, and play a quick pass and move game. Where is the defensive midfielder? None of Howe's team fit that pigeonhole.

Then the defence of course held together by Elphick and Cook. I personally thought Gus did the right thing with the former but was sorry Cook was let go.

This is an attacking team put together with little big spend in transfer fees and wages. It shows what can be done at this level. I actually believe it's the kind of thing Bloom wants to acheive here, generous spending on infrastructure but costs kept relatively low on players (obviously we have and will in the future spend much more on players than B'muff).

Credit to Howe, who is doing it for his chairman.

They spent around 2 million on Rantie who has been a flop to date. I was surprised they spent around 300k on Kermorgant at the time as he is 33 i believe. Apart from that they have done well and fair play to them.

n1 gull

Jul 25, 2003
Hurstpierpoint
It is disappointing that we are in a shocking run of form - 2 points in 5 matches have ruined our chances.

But Grabban? Well let's see. Grabban's scoring record wasn't all that remarkable when we triggered that clause to speak to him. Obviously he's had a great second half to the season, but I'm not entirely convinced this isn't just a bit of form he's found.

It's not as if we would have passed to him anyway

Joey Jo Jo Jr. Shabadoo

Waxing chumps like candles since ‘75
Oct 4, 2003
They could afford to offer Grabban more than us.

They were willing to offer Grabban more than we were. We no doubt could have offered more than we did (and more than Bournemouth did), but we'd reached the limit on what we were prepared to pay for him and stuck to it. The player never really had his heart set on a move here and used us as a bargaining tool to get a better deal at Bournemouth.

Do we really want to be breaking wage structures for the likes of Lewis Grabban? With hindsight it looks like we've missed out on someone who is scoring goals that could have proved useful, but we weren't to know that at the time we refused to give him more money.

It's not as if we would have passed to him anyway

Well, there is that point that we would have broken our wage structure, only to have him stuck out on the left wing watching Ulloa getting battered through binoculars

Keeping The Dream Alive.

Naming Rights
May 28, 2008
WSU
I am pretty certain their wage bill is higher than ours, if not extremely similar. I know (indirectly) some of the Bournemouth players, and you'd be very surprised how much they are earning. Many of them had significant clauses in their contracts for winning promotion last year...

Cheeky Monkey

Jul 17, 2003
Credit to him (sorry Edna) and he just gets better looking with every passing week. In the unlikely event of AFC getting into and through the play offs it will once and for all confirm the theory that you've got to leave the Albion if you ever want a Premiership career (Cook, Elphick, Noone, Murray, Barnes, Bridcutt, Hammond, Bennett, Crofts, Sidwell, Harding...)

:wink:

hans kraay fan club

The voice of reason.
Helpful Moderator
Mar 16, 2005
Chandlers Ford
Enormous, unsustainable wage bill aside, he's done an excellent job - and not just at Bournemouth - the team he assembled at Burnley is going up.

He's still a snide little tosspot, obviously, but credit where it's due.

I am pretty certain their wage bill is higher than ours, if not extremely similar. I know (indirectly) some of the Bournemouth players, and you'd be very surprised how much they are earning. Many of them had significant clauses in their contracts for winning promotion last year...

I am intrigued at this? I don't doubt that some of their players are paid as much of ours and that Elphick and Cook will be getting more than they are on here, would that be what you heard?

But I look down at B'muff's squad list and see mostly players who would have negotiated deals from lower league/youth squad or poor relation Championship levels, whereas I look down at our squad and see quite a few who would have come out of Prem contract or foreign equivalent levels. So I am pretty sceptical that adds up to a budget that matches or exceeds ours.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here