Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

So the 3 strikers that got us out of league 1.....

BRIGHT ON Q

Jul 5, 2003
Will all be playing in the premiership next season. Glen Murray,Ashley Barnes and Chris Wood have all beaten the Albion into the promised land.
Remember how well Poyet permed them 3 that season and with Bennett,KLL,Kish ,Crofts etc it just shows what a good team we had for that league.

Simster

"the man's an arse"
Jul 7, 2003
Surrey
Yeah I noticed that too. In fairness, the only one who was remotely controversial was Barnes. I don't remember people having too many bad words to say about the other two.

Mellotron

I've asked for soup
Jul 2, 2008
Brighton
Yeah I noticed that too. In fairness, the only one who was remotely controversial was Barnes. I don't remember people having too many bad words to say about the other two.

Yeah, Murray was universally loved. :rolleyes:

Biscuit

Native Creative
Jul 8, 2003
Brighton
Will all be playing in the premiership next season. Glen Murray,Ashley Barnes and Chris Wood have all beaten the Albion into the promised land.
Remember how well Poyet permed them 3 that season and with Bennett,KLL,Kish ,Crofts etc it just shows what a good team we had for that league.

If you think we were good take a look at the team Southampton put out!

BRIGHT ON Q

Jul 5, 2003
If you think we were good take a look at the team Southampton put out!

I know but they had a bad start I think and Huddersfield must have been gutted not going up that season.

Simster

"the man's an arse"
Jul 7, 2003
Surrey
Yeah, Murray was universally loved. :rolleyes:

Yes well done. I know he had his "walk off without *gasp* clapping the fans moments, but he scored 26 goals in that title winning season. It wasn't until we signed CMS that some people stopped wetting the bed.

Mellotron

I've asked for soup
Jul 2, 2008
Brighton
Yes well done. I know he had his "walk off without *gasp* clapping the fans moments, but he scored 26 goals in that title winning season. It wasn't until we signed CMS that some people stopped wetting the bed.

That's exactly my point. He scored TWENTY SIX goals yet there were plenty of fans who couldn't stand his "lazy" attitude the WHOLE time he was here.

Thunder Bolt

Ordinary Supporter

That was the only season he did score what he was capable of, although it was great to watch. Prior to that many fans called him 'One in ten Glen'.
I appreciate he had hernia problems under Wilkins which weren't sorted out, but that didn't stop the fans slating him.

Magic City

Mar 29, 2014
Our wingers for the second half of that season are also there, (for the time being anyway) in Craig Noone and Elliott Bennett. Nooney seems to have played well this season, so could imagine a team like Leicester snapping him up when Cardiff inevitably don't avoid the drop. It's interesting that apart from those 5 attackers, the rest of that team that have left the club since then are all playing in leagues 1 and 2 with the exception of Bridcutt and Elphick.

Last edited:

hans kraay fan club

The voice of reason.
Helpful Moderator
Mar 16, 2005
Chandlers Ford
That was the only season he did score what he was capable of, although it was great to watch. Prior to that many fans called him 'One in ten Glen'.
I appreciate he had hernia problems under Wilkins which weren't sorted out, but that didn't stop the fans slating him.

'Many fans', or just one or two knobs?

Murray's scoring record was basically 1 in 2, THROUGHOUT his time at the Albion.

Bozza

You can change this
Helpful Moderator
Jul 4, 2003
Back in Sussex
'Many fans', or just one or two knobs?

Murray's scoring record was basically 1 in 2, THROUGHOUT his time at the Albion.

Wasn't the "one in ten" a reference to chances not games?

(Not that I agree with the sentiment of either)

Gritt23

Jul 7, 2003
Meopham, Kent.
Can't see Barnes making Burnley's 25.

LOL, some people will always criticise.

Barnes seems to be a player that some on here will ALWAYS think is playing at a level too high.

I think he has a great chance of being in their 25, as they are NOT the sort of club who will greet promotion with a spending splurge on 3 or 4 new strikes. I could see them adding 1, leaving Barnes as one of 4 strikers in the 25. Vokes, Ings, Barnes and AN Other. The AN Other will probably be a good Championship striker, like Grabban, rather than a flair-name, over-priced under0achiever, like many other teams buy.

He was MASSIVELY under-appreciated here, and I'm delighted he's heading to the Prem. Good on him. Maybe I buck the trend, but I like seeing ex-players do well.

poidy

Aug 3, 2009
Agreed. I found that criticism bizarre. He scored quite a few goals for us, often from the bench, as an 18 or 19 year-old.

He was at the time a 6ft striker who couldn't win a 50/50 header for love nor money. Despite his size he also seemed incredible light weight when trying to hold off defenders. Oh and that penalty at Southampton

Ali_rrr

Feb 4, 2011
Utrecht, NL
He was at the time a 6ft striker who couldn't win a 50/50 header for love nor money. Despite his size he also seemed incredible light weight when trying to hold off defenders. Oh and that penalty at Southampton

He's definitely improved massively. I felt he was really lazy when he was here, but he could stick a ball in the net, which let's face it, we could do with now!

Thunder Bolt

Ordinary Supporter
I thought Chris Wood did very well until he returned to play for NZ in a qualifier. When he returned sometime in March, he had lost his form.

Paying the bills

Latest Discussions

Paying the bills

Paying the bills

Paying the bills

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here