Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Does Tony Bloom have enough confidence in OG to give him the budget he requires....

Bring back Bryan wade!!

I wanna caravan for me ma
Jun 28, 2010
Hassocks
To get us promoted next season??

The way I see it the following are mandatory:

New right back

New left back

New centre back

New attacking midfielder

A quality striker

That's 7.5 - 10 million if we are serious about bringing the right calibre of player in.

Will we do it??

Acker79

NSC Patreon
Nov 15, 2008
Brighton
No. Not unless we have taken in a massive amount in new deals, because, whether the league enforces FFP or not, getting the club paying for itself is Bloom's aim.

The question should be, I suppose, has this season shown how restrictive FFP is, and challenged Bloom's position, giving him pause for thought that maybe funding a promotion push to get the Premier League money, follow the West Brom 'don't over spend while up there, take a few up and down seasons if necessary' to bring in TV money. And if so, will that even be enough to get the club funding itself, or will the pressure to stay up lead to more over-spending, thus making the idea of 'a club paying for itself' and 'promotion to the premier league' mutually exclusive.

Last edited:

Boston28

Feb 7, 2014
Does Tony Bloom have enough confidence in OG to give him the budget he requir...

Many reasons why we won't get anywhere near spending those figures in the summer and none of them are Blooms lack of confidence in Garcia.

Doesn't really answer the question sorry.

Dan Aitch

May 31, 2013
We have 8 months to wait to ascertain whether FFP is challenged, successful in that challenge, or able to exert real change in how clubs are funded. Only then will we know whether our 'straight bat' approach has been worthwhile.

saafend_seagull

Jul 5, 2003
BN1
We have 8 months to wait to ascertain whether FFP is challenged, successful in that challenge, or able to exert real change in how clubs are funded. Only then will we know whether our 'straight bat' approach has been worthwhile.

Even if it gets withdrawn, we will keep to it. Bloom wants the club to be self efficient.

carteater

Jan 1, 2014
West Sussex
the fact is that the clubs that spend loads of money to get promoted know that even if FFP comes in, they can usually afford to pay the fines, especially the play off winners

nomoremithras4me

Apr 7, 2011
Forgot new keeper :)

Stumpy Tim

Bruno and Calderon will stay, so that's money saved. Dunk, Upson and Greer will stay, and we've had one of the best defences so money saved there, Orlandi and Kemy will hopefully get fit so money saved there, CMS & Hoskins back so money saved there. As someone pointed out, the real problem is that we will need a new keeper, yet you missed that off.

Bizarre

Jim D

Jul 23, 2003
Worthing

New right back

New left back

New centre back

New attacking midfielder

A quality striker

That's 7.5 - 10 million if we are serious about bringing the right calibre of player in.

Will we do it??

You've been on NSC for several years now and, with almost 3000 posts, you should be fully aware of the club's thinking on FFP. So why do you post a question like this that you must know the answer to?

Worried Man Blues

Feb 28, 2009
Swansea
He is a brilliant coach let him mould our existing players into a force to be reckoned with.

Gritt23

Jul 7, 2003
Meopham, Kent.
Am I imagining it, or did TB tell us at the start of the season that "Oscar has a small increase in playing budget, compared with last season."?

Husty

Mooderator
Oct 18, 2008

New right back

New left back

New centre back

New attacking midfielder

A quality striker

Will we do it??

STRIKER? We will Ulloa, CMS probably Hoskins at the club next season and you want ANOTHER? Idiot.

KZNSeagull

Nov 26, 2007
Wolsingham, County Durham
Am I imagining it, or did TB tell us at the start of the season that "Oscar has a small increase in playing budget, compared with last season."?

Yes, but David Burke manages the playing budget. And from what has happened this year with transfers out etc, I doubt that we have spent it all and many are expecting a decent war chest for the summer.

Guinness Boy

Tofu eating wokerati
Helpful Moderator
NSC Patreon
Jul 23, 2003
Up and Coming Sunny Portslade
Bloom wants us to be self sufficient AND he wants to see a return on his investment. I know we overdo the gambling / poker metaphors but I really would expect some speculation since the way to achieve ROI is to get in the Premier League. We should expect a similar measured budget with David Burke bringing in "matches" for those who leave. Whether this will be good enough is a whole other thread.

Blue Valkyrie

Not seen such Bravery!
Sep 1, 2012
Valhalla
I just hope Burke doesn't sign Wilbraham in the summer.

KZNSeagull

Nov 26, 2007
Wolsingham, County Durham
The major plus with Oscar is his willingness to blood and bring on the youngsters, which is the way that TB wants to go.

But the budget does not go to Oscar, it goes to David Burke and his team. So the question is, if DB cannot find the players we need at the prices we can afford, is TB willing to give him the budget he requires?

FFP is a red herring for us as TB has made it clear he wants the club to be self financing as far as possible.

The implementation of FFP should bring players prices and wages down to a more affordable level for us, but not straight away. The other question is whether it ever will and what does the club do then if it does not?

I foresee that TB is not going to gamble and is going to wait it out, hoping that prices/wages fall, so that in the medium to long term, we are in a better position than most to compete for those players currently out of our price range. I do not therefore expect the club/TB to splash the cash anymore than it is already. It has to use the money it does have available wisely getting experienced heads in where necessary and bring on more youngsters. Last season where we splashed the cash was a one-off, imo, and we will have to get used to more transfer disappointments (eg Grabban) in the short term.

Paying the bills

Latest Discussions

Paying the bills

Paying the bills

Paying the bills

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here