Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Boat Race, could they have made this event more...

Frutos

Helpful Moderator
NSC Patron
May 3, 2006
Northumberland
One of the Cambridge rowers basically fell off his seat - Oxford well in front and surely all over now.

vegster

Sanity Clause
May 5, 2008
It's not as good now they have got rid of the noisy engines and gave them oars.

Algernon

Sep 9, 2012
Newmarket.
Can anyone tell me why there are 16 boats following them and who are the 10 or so people on each boat? Just hangers-on? 160 people ish following, surely not all are Doctors.

southstandandy

WEST STAND ANDY
Jul 9, 2003
I'm surprised in the so called interest in the Boat Race. Practicaly everyone watching has never rowed and as some have said it's as boring as hell - nearly as bad as watching the Albion at the moment.

Barrel of Fun

Abort, retry, fail
I've never rowed, but watch it every year as it is an historic event and very British.

It's certainly not as exciting as rowing regattas with more competitors, but enjoyable nonetheless.

Frutos

Helpful Moderator
NSC Patron
May 3, 2006
Northumberland
My cousin is a rowingist and attended Cambridge, although he certainly never competed to this kind of standard.

I am therefore very happy that Oxford won.

mikeyjh

Dec 17, 2008
Llanymawddwy
It's kind of fun and traditional, but at the some time a horrible reminder of how important class, background and wealth still is today. That makes me sad.

Pevenseagull

Anti-greed coalition
Jul 20, 2003
Sometimes might have coincided with the Grand National on BBC. Why not 'jazz' it up a tad and have hurdles to encounter?

they made cross country skiing more exciting with the addition of guns and calling it 'biathalon'

most dull sports can be improved with guns

southstandandy

WEST STAND ANDY
Jul 9, 2003
Not quite sure I agree with it being very British - the event maybe but practically all the rowers are foreign. It's another reason why I dislike our Premier league so much - essentially it's a Harlem Globe Trotter International League that just happens to be played in England. Won't be long before the foreign Billionaires completely take it over and move it to the middle east and we'll end up watching Man Utd vs Chelsea in 45 degree temperatures!
I've never rowed, but watch it every year as it is an historic event and very British.

It's certainly not as exciting as rowing regattas with more competitors, but enjoyable nonetheless.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here