Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Has the Beach Boys music aged better than the Beatles?

Icy Gull

Back on the rollercoaster
Jul 5, 2003
I am a Beatles fan but nearly every song I hear of theirs on the radio these days tends to bore me, however I find myself uplifted and sing along with the Beach Boys stuff and think just how GOOD it still sounds.

Discuss....

Fungus

NSC Patron
May 21, 2004
Truro
:bowdown:

Yes, recently heard "Don't Talk (Put Your Head on My Shoulder)", "You Still Believe in Me" and "In My Room".

Absolute class, as long as you avoid "Sloop John B" and the usual over-played suspects.

Fungus

NSC Patron
May 21, 2004
Truro
My hamster that died 40 years ago has aged better than those tinny, mouthy, boring and one dimensional scousers.

Love me do, my arse.

Hmmm, of all the bands to call "one dimensional", the Fab Four are probably furthest of all from that!

gripper stebson

Jul 27, 2004
My hamster that died 40 years ago has aged better than those tinny, mouthy, boring and one dimensional scousers.

Love me do, my arse.

Always strikes me that people who don't like The Beatles seem very keen to tell everyone how rubbish they are!

They are plainly not rubbish.

I don't particularly 'get' Kate Bush for instance but I know she's not rubbish as so many people like and respect her stuff

... oh, and I'm a grown up!

Knocker15

May 18, 2013
Gosport, Hants
Always strikes me that people who don't like The Beatles seem very keen to tell everyone how rubbish they are!

They are plainly not rubbish.

I don't particularly 'get' Kate Bush for instance but I know she's not rubbish as so many people like and respect her stuff

... oh, and I'm a grown up!

Not as good as Springsteen though! Lol

Notters

Oct 20, 2003
Guiseley
Only because they tend to play their cheesy hits on the radio rather than their drug-fuelled masterpieces.

Cheeky Monkey

Jul 17, 2003
It's about the chemical affect on the brain. The uplifting nature of Beach Boys tunes gives the listener a serotonin boost in the way that much of the Beatles impressive catalogue cannot. It's like comparing Depeche Mode's 'Just Can't Get Enough' (Beach Boys) to Depeche Mode's 'Shake The Disease' (Beatles) - completely different animals in terms of brain effect.

Paul Reids Sock

Nov 3, 2004
Paul Reids boot
I was never fussed either way growing up (I'm 25) my parents both liked them but not massive fans so I would hear the occasional Beatles songs and sing along.

However in recent years I have started to dislike them more and more, I think it's because my mother in law is OBSESSED with the Beatles and doesn't stop harping on about them and Paul McCartney will just not shut up at public events! I think I would still think they were pretty good if he had just gracefully retired

I often think as well whether Lennon (incidentally the name of my son) would still be considered such a legend had he survived and still been playing now.

Beach Hut

Brighton Bhuna Boy
Jul 5, 2003
Living In a Box
If you don't like The Beatles you don't understand popular music.

BLOCK F

Feb 26, 2009
Now much prefer the Beatles stuff 1967 onwards rather than their earlier recordings ,although at the time ,I liked most of their music.
Also with Notters and love the Kinks.

Jam The Man

Jul 5, 2003
South East North Lancing
If you don't like The Beatles you don't understand popular music.

Is a very correct answer.

Love virtually everything The Beatles did (apart from Old Brown Shoe)

And my avatar and signature gives away my adoration of Pet Sounds

Herr Tubthumper

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
The Fatherland
I'm not a fan of the Beatles and given a choice I'd much prefer to put on a Beach Boys album. Has it aged better? Difficult to say. The very early Beatles does sound a bit dated but then it was very much of a time.

forrest

Aug 11, 2010
haywards heath
Ah the battle of the Beach Boys V The Beatles still rages on to this day I see. If you look past the like of 'I Get Around' 'Surfin USA' 'California Girls' etc the Beach Boys have some masterpieces in their collection. Heroes & Villians is one of my favourites especially the long version. Pet Sounds is one of my all time favourite albums.

I'm also pretty sure that if Brian Wilson didn't have a complete meltdown after hearing the Beatles Rubber Soul album and had releases Smile back in the 60's instead of the 21st century we would be classing that as a masterpiece of its time.

Icy Gull

Back on the rollercoaster
Jul 5, 2003
Now much prefer the Beatles stuff 1967 onwards rather than their earlier recordings ,although at the time ,I liked most of their music.
Also with Notters and love the Kinks.

Funnily I prefer their earlier stuff.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here