Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

If we were still at withdean?

Beach Hut

Brighton Bhuna Boy
Jul 5, 2003
Living In a Box
I used to go away to more than home. Season ticket at Falmer now though and only been away once this season

That is quite crucial, previously at Withdean if you purchased any food you put your life in danger where as at the Amex people have the opportunity to spend a lot of money therefore away support has dropped on considerably these days.

Add in the fact the football we play is very bland and uninspiring hence the lack of interest on the road.

One or possibly two of our away lot will have done every game this season which os very commendable but now dreads away games. I have to say there was a time when I really looked forward to them but they are not what they were.

nicko31

Jan 7, 2010
Gods country fortnightly
I think the away support isn't what is was a few years back.

The difference is a lot of fans living in other parts of the country now make the effort for home games, not away ones. There was never much incentive to go to the Withdean, a lot of away games had better facilities and a better atmosphere.

How many were at Barnsley?

I think the away support isn't what is was a few years back.

The difference is a lot of fans living in other parts of the country now make the effort for home games, not away ones. There was never much incentive to go to the Withdean, a lot of away games had better facilities and a better atmosphere.

How many were at Barnsley?
The Barnsley guy reckoned around 600,he was quite surprised at our performance too
???

CorgiRegisteredFriend

May 29, 2011
Boring By Sea
Away trips are not what they used to be. I manage about five per season and this year they have pretty dire affairs. Its not just about the football on the pitch though. Its more to with the stupid restrictions on what you can and can't do/sing/ say. Take Millwall for example. One of my favourites for atmosphere and having a laugh. This year everyone was dead quiet and no banter at all between fans. Stewards on the case with every little thing that might possible be considered problematic. Boring, boring boring. Football grounds must be the only places in society where you can't swear, take the piss and create a bit of rivalry. We always used to be able to do it.

Blackadder

Brighton Bhuna Boy
Jul 6, 2003
Haywards Heath
Our group used to go to between 6 and 13 away games every season when we were at Withdean.

Last year I went to Charlton and Peterborough. This year I haven't done any. I am happy to just go the Amex at the moment.

Horses Arse

Jun 25, 2004
here and there
I used to go away to more than home. Season ticket at Falmer now though and only been away once this season

Same, couldn't deal with travelling from London to watch games at withdean. It was ok for a few years but away games were so much more enjoyable. Now I have season tickets going to away games happens very infrequently. Too many obligations and responsibilities to go to football every Saturday.

hans kraay fan club

The voice of reason.
Helpful Moderator
Mar 16, 2005
Chandlers Ford
Same, couldn't deal with travelling from London to watch games at withdean. It was ok for a few years but away games were so much more enjoyable. Now I have season tickets going to away games happens very infrequently. Too many obligations and responsibilities to go to football every Saturday.

This is the point. It's more time constraints for a lot of people, than only finances. Every second Saturday given over to football is as much as many of us can get away with. (Especially so, for those of us not living in Sussex - for whom even the home games are a 7 or 8 hour commitment.)

Grassman

Jun 12, 2008
Tun Wells
I think I'm in the same bracket as many others. Used to go to between 7 and 15 away games at Withdean. Now, I'm lucky to do 2 or 3 a year. I think the cost plays a big part of it for me now. I'm weighing up a trip to Leicester on tues though.

£1.99

Mar 3, 2008
That is quite crucial, previously at Withdean if you purchased any food you put your life in danger where as at the Amex people have the opportunity to spend a lot of money therefore away support has dropped on considerably these days.

Add in the fact the football we play is very bland and uninspiring hence the lack of interest on the road.

One or possibly two of our away lot will have done every game this season which os very commendable but now dreads away games. I have to say there was a time when I really looked forward to them but they are not what they were.

I really liked the chips with curry sauce at The Withdean.

CorgiRegisteredFriend

May 29, 2011
Boring By Sea
I really liked the chips with curry sauce at The Withdean.

Same, was a good choice of food for the Paint Pot evening matches. Although think they stopped serving it towards the end.

Husty

Mooderator
Oct 18, 2008
Food at the Withdean was better than at the Amex, a nice (fried, hot and big) plate of chips for £2.

Paul Reids Sock

Nov 3, 2004
Paul Reids boot
I used to manage so many away games when I was based in London. Now I am in Reading it is harder and more expensive despite the fact it's only a shirt train ride to Central London

I have been a bad fan this year and only made one away game. Unsurprisingly this was away to Reading!

BN9 BHA

DOCKERS
NSC Patreon
Jul 14, 2013
Newhaven

The food at Withdean was fine, I thought the chips were very popular, obviously getting a beer at the AMEX is a big plus but apart from the lucky dip pie option the food is nothing special.

BN9 BHA

DOCKERS
NSC Patreon
Jul 14, 2013
Newhaven
Food at the Withdean was better than at the Amex, a nice (fried, hot and big) plate of chips for £2.

This.

I'm not in the 'must have a pie gang' at the AMEX, I would rather go to my local chip shop after the match and get a better one for half the money.

Cheeky Monkey

Jul 17, 2003
Geography perhaps: Huddersfield, Wigan, Barnsley, Blackburn, Leeds, Doncaster, Bolton, Middlesborough, Burnley, Sheffield Wednesday, Blackpool. Throw in Leicester, Derby and Forest and you've got a northern league in all but name. The less said about Yeovil the better. With the shite we've had to endure in a lot of games this season is it really a surprise that we don't travel in big numbers unless it's a Millwall, Reading or Charlton? 675 at Barnsley isn't too bad all things considered.

Paying the bills

Latest Discussions

Paying the bills

Paying the bills

Paying the bills

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here