Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

On a positive note

Super Steve Earle

Feb 23, 2009
North of Brighton
We'll finish in the top 10 this season.
We have been in contention all season despite Gus screwing over our pre-season preparation.
Oscar is a winner as a player and manager
Oscar now has a Championship season under his belt so should know what is required.
A number of players are out of contract so he can clear the dead wood and bring in his own.
We should be within ffp requirements
We will still have our wonderful stadium
We will be able to attract the best kids with our new training facilities
We will have a cracking new Nike kit
Macca and Hosko will be back

Gus killed this season before it even started and we should appreciate what Oscar has achieved, despite that, despite critical injuries, despite valued player sales.

blockhseagull

Jan 30, 2006
Southampton
While I admire your optimism and i agree with many of your points I do think one of them which is getting trotted out a lot is a joke.

Oscar had 6 weeks pre season and two transfer windows so I don't believe that's a reason for out poor performance, rather an excuse. McClaren took over mid season and he has achieved success, same as Rosler at Wigan.

TottonSeagull

Mar 5, 2011
Totton (Nr Southampton)
A lot of your reasons are positive but I am really getting fed up with this Poyet killed the season before it started rubbish. Garcia had 6 weeks pre season and is now 9 months into his tenure. The playing side has gone backwards to the negative, tedious displays we are now seeing. I beleive that a manager or head coach with something about them could get this group of players playing in a much better way and if they had a little belief they are good enough to challenge. Garcia's personality (or lack of) is now reflected on the pitch. What ever happened last season does not have any relevance to the turgid style of play we now produce week in week out. Sorry but to go to Barnsley and only have a go at winning in the last 10 mins when they are down to 10 men is symptomatic of the man. I am sure if you asked Danny Wilson which side he would prefer to have and could progress (and I am not calling for him to be appointed) he would say us over his present team! His interviews after the game yesterday prove he has no grasp on the situation and no empathy with the club!

BHseagull

Aug 5, 2008
Brighton
We'll finish in the top 10 this season.
We have been in contention all season despite Gus screwing over our pre-season preparation.
Oscar is a winner as a player and manager
Oscar now has a Championship season under his belt so should know what is required.
A number of players are out of contract so he can clear the dead wood and bring in his own.
We should be within ffp requirements
We will still have our wonderful stadium
We will be able to attract the best kids with our new training facilities
We will have a cracking new Nike kit
Macca and Hosko will be back

Gus killed this season before it even started and we should appreciate what Oscar has achieved, despite that, despite critical injuries, despite valued player sales.

Spot on. This season we were always going to be in transition. I just hope Oscar learns from this season and puts it right next time out. Happy to give him the time and a full preseason before I start judging.

Tony Towner's Fridge

Aug 22, 2003
GLASGOW,SCOTLAND,UK
I am amazed at the negativity on the site. Oscar was given a three year contract and stated that this was a three year plan, if I seem to remember? Losing Crofts was a ten point deduction in my opinion. We most certainly would have got another 5 or 6 points from the last 5 matches if we had him. Then there would be excited nervousness that we were toe to toe with Reading.

Next season there will be exits and some good ins, no doubt. Ince, JFC, March, Stephens, Chicksen all with that more experience plus CMS and Hoskins back. Oh and Crofts will be back too.

So next season maybe we will be in an automatic position. I do agree though that Oscar needs to let them loose every so often, we don't seem to have really gone for a team all season? Which is a pity.

TNBA

TTF

DarrenFreemansPerm

⭐️⭐️⭐️⭐️
Sep 28, 2010
Shoreham
Spot on. This season we were always going to be in transition. I just hope Oscar learns from this season and puts it right next time out. Happy to give him the time and a full preseason before I start judging.

Can you clarify, what exactly is a season of transition? If it means a season of terrible, aimless football without any shape, pattern or direction then I think I've got it. If it's a another poor excuse for a clueless manager them I haven't quite grasped the full meaning?

DarrenFreemansPerm

⭐️⭐️⭐️⭐️
Sep 28, 2010
Shoreham
I am amazed at the negativity on the site. Oscar was given a three year contract and stated that this was a three year plan, if I seem to remember? Losing Crofts was a ten point deduction in my opinion. We most certainly would have got another 5 or 6 points from the last 5 matches if we had him. Then there would be excited nervousness that we were toe to toe with Reading.

Next season there will be exits and some good ins, no doubt. Ince, JFC, March, Stephens, Chicksen all with that more experience plus CMS and Hoskins back. Oh and Crofts will be back too.

So next season maybe we will be in an automatic position. I do agree though that Oscar needs to let them loose every so often, we don't seem to have really gone for a team all season? Which is a pity.

TNBA

TTF

So by your logic my missus could have the job as head coach, as long as she says "it's a 3 year plan" she could get away with doing a completely inadequate job for at least a year and a half before anyone would be allowed to doubt her ability or credentials.

blockhseagull

Jan 30, 2006
Southampton
Can you clarify, what exactly is a season of transition? If it means a season of terrible, aimless football without any shape, pattern or direction then I think I've got it. If it's a another poor excuse for a clueless manager them I haven't quite grasped the full meaning?

It obviously means a season where the team appears to go backwards and becomes massively boring and dull

ozseagull

Jun 27, 2013
Having lots of players is not a positive. If we want them to stay it will cost of signing on fees and if we replace them it's transfer and signing on fees. It's not going to be easy.

Tony Towner's Fridge

Aug 22, 2003
GLASGOW,SCOTLAND,UK
So by your logic my missus could have the job as head coach, as long as she says "it's a 3 year plan" she could get away with doing a completely inadequate job for at least a year and a half before anyone would be allowed to doubt her ability or credentials.

Not quite the same is it. Teachers have a set curriculum to follow and whilst they do inherit classrooms of kids from previous teachers don't kick kids out of class and bring in brainy ones to improve their standing or get promotion. Comparing a football manager to a teacher is a tad stretching it.
Why judge Oscar on one season's performance? Why not say the jury is out and give him more time? Or shall we do a Chelsea and change managers every season or so?

It is all down to impatience.

TNBA

TTF

BHseagull

Aug 5, 2008
Brighton

A season where we didn't get chance to prepare properly and therefore the manager has taken the season the assess the strengths and weaknesses of the squad, making a few signings where he can and gradually imposing his style on the in.

I can see the direction we are going in. The base of a strong championship team is there and, if we can keep hold of them we have a strong spine to the team.

PIG, Upson, Ince, Ulloa is a great spine.

JFC, Stephens, Chicksen, March and Dunk all have great potential.

Add to that; Buckley, Lua Lua and Orlandi and we have some exciting players who are more than up to a promotion push.

The way I see it, we haven't clicked this season but I think we have a lot to look forward to next season. A season's experience in the championship for Oscar, a full pre season and a chance to address our weaknesses should see us improve dramatically next season. Judge him if that doesn't happen.

Beach Hut

Brighton Bhuna Boy
Jul 5, 2003
Living In a Box
We have around £2m potentially already in the transfer kitty for next season.

DarrenFreemansPerm

⭐️⭐️⭐️⭐️
Sep 28, 2010
Shoreham
A season where we didn't get chance to prepare properly and therefore the manager has taken the season the assess the strengths and weaknesses of the squad, making a few signings where he can and gradually imposing his style on the in.

I can see the direction we are going in. The base of a strong championship team is there and, if we can keep hold of them we have a strong spine to the team.

PIG, Upson, Ince, Ulloa is a great spine.

JFC, Stephens, Chicksen, March and Dunk all have great potential.

Add to that; Buckley, Lua Lua and Orlandi and we have some exciting players who are more than up to a promotion push.

The way I see it, we haven't clicked this season but I think we have a lot to look forward to next season. A season's experience in the championship for Oscar, a full pre season and a chance to address our weaknesses should see us improve dramatically next season. Judge him if that doesn't happen.

:lol: Oscar had 6 (six) weeks before the season started, he was in charge for the very first friendly, the whole Spain trip and had 2 months of the window left. An entire season to assess the squad is ridiculous, as others have said, plenty of managers have far less time to get their squads up to speed.
I must confess that I'm surprised you can see the direction we're going in on the pitch too, for me it's the most boring football I've endured for a long time, there's no direction within the team, no leaders and no passion, it's utter crap.
Also, building the team around a want away keeper and a 35 year old centre back isn't particularly inspiring.
As far as I see it Oscar has been in charge for 10 months and the football is diabolical, he shows no passion and this appears to be evident in the players displays. Quite simply I don't think Oscar has the ability to change his formation, use a plan b, motivate the players, by all means let him keep job until Christmas but I'd expect you to be busy on here desperately trying to defend the name of a completely inept coach.

DarrenFreemansPerm

⭐️⭐️⭐️⭐️
Sep 28, 2010
Shoreham
Not quite the same is it. Teachers have a set curriculum to follow and whilst they do inherit classrooms of kids from previous teachers don't kick kids out of class and bring in brainy ones to improve their standing or get promotion. Comparing a football manager to a teacher is a tad stretching it.
Why judge Oscar on one season's performance? Why not say the jury is out and give him more time? Or shall we do a Chelsea and change managers every season or so?

It is all down to impatience.

TNBA

TTF

How long do you leave the jury out for? Do we wait until he's completely ruined next season, until fans stop turning up? His formation is poor, his selections are poor and his 'brand' is poor. But you're right, let's give him next season too :thud:

BHseagull

Aug 5, 2008
Brighton
:lol: Oscar had 6 (six) weeks before the season started, he was in charge for the very first friendly, the whole Spain trip and had 2 months of the window left. An entire season to assess the squad is ridiculous, as others have said, plenty of managers have far less time to get their squads up to speed.
I must confess that I'm surprised you can see the direction we're going in on the pitch too, for me it's the most boring football I've endured for a long time, there's no direction within the team, no leaders and no passion, it's utter crap.
Also, building the team around a want away keeper and a 35 year old centre back isn't particularly inspiring.
As far as I see it Oscar has been in charge for 10 months and the football is diabolical, he shows no passion and this appears to be evident in the players displays. Quite simply I don't think Oscar has the ability to change his formation, use a plan b, motivate the players, by all means let him keep job until Christmas but I'd expect you to be busy on here desperately trying to defend the name of a completely inept coach.

So no comment on the promising players coming through? Nothing about March or Ince who have been fantastic under Oscar? It seems you desperately want him to be a failure and ignore any positives. I'm pretty certain if you look back at any pre or post match interviews with opposing managers they will be quoted as saying we are one of the best footballing sides in the division. What we are lacking is someone other than Ulloa who will put the ball in the back of the net. We have CMS and Hoskins to come back, and, if they aren't the answer, we have the summer to go get someone.

pasty

A different kind of pasty
Jul 5, 2003
West, West, West Sussex
On a positive note....

Reading's run in features Bournemouth, Leicester, Wigan and Burnley, and Forest appear to be in absolute free fall. 6th place is still not unattainable.

SIMMO SAYS

Jul 31, 2012
Incommunicado

This with BELLS on.
Too many players with long term/short term injuries have hampered Oscar but CHRIST it's been dire for far too long:yawn:
The tactics----------keep it tight for seventy minutes and hope to score,then bring on sick note Lua Lua and hope his knees hold out

SIMMO SAYS

Jul 31, 2012
Incommunicado
So no comment on the promising players coming through? Nothing about March or Ince who have been fantastic under Oscar? It seems you desperately want him to be a failure and ignore any positives. I'm pretty certain if you look back at any pre or post match interviews with opposing managers they will be quoted as saying we are one of the best footballing sides in the division. What we are lacking is someone other than Ulloa who will put the ball in the back of the net. We have CMS and Hoskins to come back, and, if they aren't the answer, we have the summer to go get someone.

Have March & Ince been fantastic----promising definitely but not the finished article yet.
They have had their moments but just as many poor performances.
I think Oscar has struggled due to the players available not being capable or wanting to play his system.

glasfryn

cleaning up cat sick
Nov 29, 2005
somewhere in Eastbourne
This with BELLS on.
Too many players with long term/short term injuries have hampered Oscar but CHRIST it's been dire for far too long:yawn:
The tactics----------keep it tight for seventy minutes and hope to score,then bring on sick note Lua Lua and hope his knees hold out

your replies always make me smile
this one in particular
half way through next season if OG continues in this vein he will go and theres another season down the gurgler
please hurry up and start playing football so we can get promoted
I have not got long left
5 year plan
3 year plan
just get on with it

Paying the bills

Latest Discussions

Paying the bills

Paying the bills

Paying the bills

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here