Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Do you think Oscar could be sacked at the end of the season?

Will Oscar be sacked before next season starts?

• Total voters

Icy Gull

Back on the rollercoaster
Jul 5, 2003
Not do you WANT him sacked.

With so many players out of contract and the lacklustre performances recently do you think TB may bring in a new manager for next season, or is he playing the long game?

I personally think Oscar will be given until Xmas with a summer transfer window to turn it around and bring in his own players. With FFP kicking in there should be some players who are currently out of reach that we could entice here with the stadium and big crowds giving us an edge over all the teams except those receiving parachute payments. If teams continue to ignore FFP this won't be the case though.

If we are going to change it around the summer would seem a good time though as a new manager could start almost from scratch.

So will Oscar still be here at kick off next season.

Again, not do you want him sacked but do you think he will be?

Hyperion

Nov 1, 2010
Personally I think it would be a mistake keeping him on. I just don't think his footballing ethos works well in the Championship. People will soon get bored of over passing the ball with no end product

Deano's Invisible Pants

Mar 1, 2008
I don't think TB will sack him. A more likely scenario is that OG decides to leave. Some of his comments betray disappointment with transfer dealings and budgets.

Feb 23, 2009
Brighton factually.....
There is only one answer to be fair, and that is depends on next few games.....

Let's face it we have been dull, dull, dull, and yes he has had injuries, last seasons fall out. However this should not affect his overall feel and style of play, the core of the style should still be evident and football now being a Buisness, dull negative football will eventually affect bums on seats, and that will affect the boards decision aswell as results.

He has several games with an attacking option available to him, and these games are vital for us, not because we still have a 666/1 shot of the play offs but because we need to see if with the need to play adventurous football, and players fit who can..... Will he.....

If not, bye, bye

saafend_seagull

Jul 5, 2003
BN1
If we end the season on this current form, I reckon he will walk. He's been given loads of average players which won't work when the guy has no charisma, or enthusiasm to get them playing to their best ability (see burnley, and derby average squads)

Westdene Seagull

aka Cap'n Carl Firecrotch
NSC Patron
Oct 27, 2003
The arse end of Hangleton
If the current capitulation continues then yes, he'll be gone at the end of the season. I've always believed that a manager should get a whole season at the very least but it's certainly tempting to call for something to be done sooner rather than later as things stand.

Goldstone1976

We Got Calde in!!
Helpful Moderator
NSC Patron
Apr 30, 2013
Herts
I don't think he'll be sacked. Apart from the footballing reasons that have been cited on different threads (and on which, I am currently on the fence), I haven't seen anyone comment on the financial reasons, which I believe to be compelling.

OG is just coming up to completing one year of his three year contract. If he's sacked for anything other than gross misconduct, the club will have to pay out the rest of his fixed term contract. He's got to be on, say, £500k pa, so that will cost the club £1m, plus, say, £25k in legal costs plus, say, £200k in a sign-on bonus for a new manager. I just can't see the club being prepared to fork out £1.225m to get rid of OG, at least not yet. The more so since I see no signs that we're prepared to flout FFP, which limits are reduced still more next season. TB (and the fans) won't want to see the playing budget reduced just to get rid of OG.

Less significantly, but still also true imo, I think TB generally wants to honour contracts. It's just the way he seems to work.

If OG decides to walk away, it wouldn't surprise me if TB let him go without having to pay the club anything that may be due under his contract, but that's a million miles away from actively firing him.

Beach Hut

Brighton Bhuna Boy
Jul 5, 2003
Living In a Box
Hope not as I am looking forward to seeing an Oscar created team which should happen next season as opposed to what he inherited.

Dan Aitch

May 31, 2013
Of course he COULD be sacked. He could also be declared May Queen and decide to go 'organic' and live off the land outside Malaga. The title of the poll asking whether he WILL be sacked clearly gives us a chance to express our opinions a bit more clearly than the title of the thread.

I shall now return to pedantry in other areas. :wave:

KZNSeagull

Nov 26, 2007
Wolsingham, County Durham
I don't think he will be sacked. TB plays the long game. What I do think, however, is that he should bring his own assistant in as only then can we really see what he is about.

Plus he should be allowed to sign some players that stand a better than average chance of being able to play more than 2 games on the trot without getting injured! I still maintain that this is where we are falling down as it must be extremely difficult to get players to gel in his style when he is unable to pick the same team game after game.

spanish flair

Jan 30, 2014
Brighton
I don't think TB will sack him. A more likely scenario is that OG decides to leave. Some of his comments betray disappointment with transfer dealings and budgets.

What comments are these, I must have missed them. If he has commented on the quality of players coming in, then that would be criticising our Director of football and the scouting team. If he has done, then he would go up a peg or two in my opinion.

Commander

NSC Patron
Apr 28, 2004
London
Can't see him being sacked, that would be the wrong decision, it's too soon. I guess I could see him walking if he isn't happy with things, but I think he'll be here next season. End of next season is the time to judge whether it has worked out or not. 6th place next season should be the absolute minimum target for us.

nwgull

Jul 25, 2003
Manchester
Hope not as I am looking forward to seeing an Oscar created team which should happen next season as opposed to what he inherited.

Me too. I think that with the 4m transfer money that we received but didn't panic spend in January, we could have an interesting summer.

I also don't think he will be sacked or leave. He and TB probably both recognise this as a transitional season with lots to look forward to next year.

dougdeep

May 9, 2004
SUNNY SEAFORD
It depends how much it would cost to sack him. I don't know what it says in his contract.

Goldstone1976

We Got Calde in!!
Helpful Moderator
NSC Patron
Apr 30, 2013
Herts
It depends how much it would cost to sack him. I don't know what it says in his contract.

I don't know the specifics of his contract, of course. Typically, if an employer breaks (other than for gross misconduct) a fixed term contract, they have to pay off the rest of the contract. At the end of the season OG will have two years left on his. I made an estimate of £1.225m to get rid in post #8.

themightyalbion

Mar 28, 2010
Nice to see a comment that is realistic!
I agree with you Beach Hut. He is working with a team inherited, some past their best, and a disturbing amount of injuries to key players. The sale of Bridcutt, although not a disaster IMO, had to have an effect. I also feel some other heads have been turned, and as our season peters out into a damp sqib, the players who are coming up to end of contract have little to play for. I am of the opinion that there will be quite a clear out at the end of the season.
However, if the playing budget is suitable, and some key players are purchased, performances really should improve. If not, then he will have had his chance!!

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here