Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

We cannot sack the manager 3 months into the next season

Stuart Munday

Jul 6, 2003
Saltdean
A lot of fans say we should give Oscar until Christmas.

There will a big job rebuilding the squad in the summer, I wouldn't be surprised if we lost up to 10 players for various reasons.

We either to get a new manager in May or let Oscar bring in his own players and give him the whole of next season to let them settle in.

The worse thing we can do is let Oscar sign players then sack him by Christmas then spend the next 2 years trying to rectify the situation.

I think at the end of the season Tony has to sack him or give him his complete backing including letting him sign who he wants budget permitting.

TottonSeagull

Mar 5, 2011
Totton (Nr Southampton)
Oscar doesn't sign players, a disastrous season of transfers is the main reason we are going backwards.

Finger of blame pointing at Burke.

So you know exactly how the club's transfers are set up? Is Garcia really that weak that he has NO input in transfers? It may be the case he has no idea who he needs to bring in as he has no connection for Championship football!

Chicken Runner61

We stand where we want!
May 20, 2007
Oscar doesn't sign players, a disastrous season of transfers is the main reason we are going backwards.

You are not doing OG any favours with quotes like that.

If he hasn't signed or agreed to the signings after nine months he must be a crap manager

Ernest

Stupid IDIOT
Nov 8, 2003
LOONEY BIN
So you know exactly how the club's transfers are set up? Is Garcia really that weak that he has NO input in transfers? It may be the case he has no idea who he needs to bring in as he has no connection for Championship football!

I bet he couldn't find Barnsley on a map, said this all along. It needed a down to earth , strong, experienced English manager not a Spanish vanity project

Tubby-McFat-Fuc

May 2, 2013
Brighton
It would be fine if the bloke in charge of this was capable of bringing the playing squad forward, but he clearly isn't. Oscar has had an impossible job this season, I feel sorry for the bloke.
It would also be fine if the bloke played players in their best positions, but he clearly isn't. Oscar is making his job impossible. I have no pity for him.

father_and_son

Jan 23, 2012
Under the Police Box

Finger of blame with FFP if you want to point at Burke. We are te only club in play off contention playing by FFP and Burke sticking to rules. We have lost players and opportunities for players because we can't/won't pay wage demands. If FL lose their bollocks and don't enforce their rules THEN Burke looks like a **** but until then he's just doing what TB needs him to do.

spring hall convert

Nov 3, 2009
Brighton
I bet he couldn't find Barnsley on a map, said this all along. It needed a down to earth , strong, experienced English manager not a Spanish vanity project

Garcia may not be the man, I'm prepared to concede that but we were doing alright under an inexperienced Uruguayan manager until he left. What's this obsession with the manager being English? He needs to be good, that's all.

Wellesley

Jul 24, 2013
Get him out now!! The fans are bored, the players have no belief in him. He is sucking everything that is good out of this club. Let's not 'fiddle while Rome burns' The time for change is now. Let's not waste another year and next seasons budget on him. We are regressing rapidly and we have remained near the play offs in spite of him, not because of him.

Chicken Runner61

We stand where we want!
May 20, 2007
He's not our manager, he never has been, he's head coach. I do believe that this ridiculous system which delegates the key responsibility of transfers to a "head of football operations" rather than the manager picking his own players is the main reason that the club going is backwards. I suspect that's why Gus had enough and threw his toys out the pram.

It would be fine if the bloke in charge of this was capable of bringing the playing squad forward, but he clearly isn't. Oscar has had an impossible job this season, I feel sorry for the bloke.

I think you are being very naive here, do you think we tricked OG into coming here or that he didn't ask what the set up was?

He's been around football and knows what goes on, he will know why Gus left and what the ceiling was and now is.If the team fails OG has failed. Doesn't the coach tell the head of operations who he wants and its up to the head to negotiate and get the player in within budget. I don't think there is a coach that would try and work with players thrown on him.

The football is worse than last season and we are going to finish lower yet its virtually the same set of players

nwgull

Jul 25, 2003
Manchester
Finger of blame with FFP if you want to point at Burke. We are te only club in play off contention playing by FFP and Burke sticking to rules. We have lost players and opportunities for players because we can't/won't pay wage demands. If FL lose their bollocks and don't enforce their rules THEN Burke looks like a **** but until then he's just doing what TB needs him to do.

Burnley, Derby, Wigan, Ipswich and probably even Reading are likely to be within FFP.

bhawoddy

Jan 25, 2011
He's not our manager, he never has been, he's head coach. I do believe that this ridiculous system which delegates the key responsibility of transfers to a "head of football operations" rather than the manager picking his own players is the main reason that the club going is backwards. I suspect that's why Gus had enough and threw his toys out the pram.

The situation is ludicrous, assuming this is the actual situation.

How can you ask a guy to effectively manage a team and tell him which players he has to use. He has to have HIS players to play his way.
It's like asking which company car he wants. He replies a BMW 5 series and they give him a mini metro. I mean WTF......

Last edited:

Chicken Runner61

We stand where we want!
May 20, 2007
Burnley, Derby, Wigan, Ipswich and probably even Reading are likely to be within FFP.

THIS - FFP is a red herring, sensible clubs had a wage structure before FFP. I read today that Arsenal are millions in debt and they had a wage structure and development squad and didn't buy players either yet the will meet FFP (probably) because FFP has to do with being able to manage your debts and expenditure thats not just about buying players but also your running costs and overheads.

Chicken Runner61

We stand where we want!
May 20, 2007
The situation is ludicrous, assuming this is the actual situation.

How can you ask a guy to effectively manage a team and tell him which players he has to use. He has to have HIS players to play his way.
It's like asking which company car he wants. He replies a BMW 5 series and they give him a mini metro. I mean WTF......

If you asked for a BMW 5 series and they gave you a mini metro wouldn't you quit straight away?

trueblue

Jul 5, 2003
Hove
The football is worse than last season and we are going to finish lower yet its virtually the same set of players

Yes of course it is. Apart from Bridge, Hammond, Bridcutt, Barnes, El Abd, Mackail Smith & for much of the season Buckley, Orlandi & Crofts.

bhawoddy

Jan 25, 2011
If you wanted a BMW 5 series you wouldn't take a job at a company that you knew could not afford one! And if if you did you are just being a dick.
Do you actually expect/want our manager (or head coach) to be doing all the scouting, player recruitment, contract negotiations, transfer negotiations, training and tactics? All of them? He would need to be a time travelling robot to do all that. It is much better we have a team to do this.
Why do people not understand this!

Who said anything about Garcia having to do all those things?

Icy Gull

Back on the rollercoaster
Jul 5, 2003

3 of those clubs are still on parachute payments, Derby have spent a few years of mediocrity whilst relying on youth. Not so sure about Ipswich but they too have been marking time for a few years.

Some of our fans are showing a remarkable lack of patience seeing how far we have come so quickly. It was bound to hit a plateau around now surely? Especially after what went on during the summer and with the club trying to adhere to FFP.

blockhseagull

Jan 30, 2006
Southampton
3 of those clubs are still on parachute payments, Derby have spent a few years of mediocrity whilst relying on youth. Not so sure about Ipswich but they too have been marking time for a few years.

Some of our fans are showing a remarkable lack of patience seeing how far we have come so quickly. It was bound to hit a plateau around now surely? Especially after what went on during the summer and with the club trying to adhere to FFP.

Like has been said on many other threads I don't believe the issue IS our position in the table.

The issue is the poor quality of football, the seemingly bored players who aren't playing in the right positions and we have no pattern of play whatsoever. I understand that other teams have more money and parachute payments etc but there is no reason with the players that have been fit and available we can't do better in terms of entertainment which is the real issue.

nwgull

Jul 25, 2003
Manchester

Burnley are still an interesting example. Even with the 8m payment, their turnover is still likely to be less than ours; it was 8m less in 12/13. Goes to show it can be done if a manager is given a summer to build his own team.

BLOCK F

Feb 26, 2009
A lot of fans say we should give Oscar until Christmas.

There will a big job rebuilding the squad in the summer, I wouldn't be surprised if we lost up to 10 players for various reasons.

We either to get a new manager in May or let Oscar bring in his own players and give him the whole of next season to let them settle in.

The worse thing we can do is let Oscar sign players then sack him by Christmas then spend the next 2 years trying to rectify the situation.

I think at the end of the season Tony has to sack him or give him his complete backing including letting him sign who he wants budget permitting.

Don't think we will get into play-offs and on current form we don't deserve to.
I have no more idea than anybody else,but I would think that if our form and football between now and the end of the season continues to be poor,then Oscar's future will look bleak and there is a fair chance he will be gone soon after the final whistle of the season.
Not saying it is right or wrong , but I wouldn't be surprised.

Last edited:

Chicken Runner61

We stand where we want!
May 20, 2007
Burnley are still an interesting example. Even with the 8m payment, their turnover is still likely to be less than ours; it was 8m less in 12/13. Goes to show it can be done if a manager is given a summer to build his own team.

Para payments are another red herring - sure they help but they are not the sole reason clubs do well.

People on here underestimate the cost of relegation, the cost to carry on playing prem wages or pay off prem contracts can swallow up the payments in no time. You have to also remember that some of the players that leave hadn't actually been paid for and so the money they get sold for just goes to the previous club or back to the bank.

If parachute payments make success so easy why aren't Wigan Bolton Birmingham QPR reading and Blackburn storming this league then ? Even burnley didn't exactly do well using the payments they had their form is down to a lot more than that

Paying the bills

Latest Discussions

Paying the bills

Paying the bills

Paying the bills

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here