Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Today's Frustration at Customer Service (Dell)

Razi

Aug 3, 2003
Stevenage
To quickly set the scene, I was looking at an Alienware laptop with Dell (just looking for a relatively decent gaming laptop, but nothing too over the top as it'll be more for running Steam games comfortably but not really AAA titles).

On Wednesday, it was for sale at £1429 - £200 off the marked price. As a Dell "VIP" (e.g. my company uses Dell, so I get a discount), I get a further 10% off. The catch is - you HAVE to go through the Dell VIP landing page.

The Dell VIP Landing Page: http://www.dell.com/learn/uk/en/ukepp1/campaigns/dell-vip-home-page

From this page, the clear path is to click on the green "Shop VIP" button. Go on, give it a try.

Does it work for you? Because it doesn't work for me. The URL is www-wip.dell.com - for those in the know, this would suggest an INTERNAL staging/testing server, inaccessible to anyone outside the Dell network.

As I couldn't proceed through this link on Wednesday night, I couldn't get the deal I wanted. So I got in touch with Dell VIP support by phone and explained my problem. I pointed out that the link did not work for anyone in the UK. He tried it, and it worked fine. I pointed out that, being on the Dell network, I imagine it probably was. He told me that there's nothing he could do about the price - the deal had gone, and the problem must be with my computer settings. I asked to escalate it as it was affecting the entire UK population who might be trying to buy laptops at that very moment.

So I got another email address - and sent screenshots of the whole process, and how it did not work, and I explained the issues with the link only being available internally. I got a call back shortly after, promising to investigate and get back to me within 24 hours. I checked that she was aware of this website issue and the point I was making, and she assured me that she was.

So, today, I get a call offering me the £200 that I would've got on Wednesday had the website worked. I pointed out that I'd now spent about 3 hours trying to convince them that their website was broken, and that people could not apply any VIP discount as they could not proceed from that landing page - and that they clearly weren't understanding the problem, and I didn't want to buy anything until they believed me and fixed the website.

Well, the lady could not understand why I wanted to use the website now as they would make the sale over the phone - but I pointed out that I just wanted them to recognise the fault and fix their website. They (from India) had an online conversation with the web team who suggested there was no fault, and I asked to be conferenced in - which I was. I pointed out the problem, but she (being internal) could not see the problem as the link worked for her.

In the end, they offered me the price I would've had on Wednesday, plus 5% off the discounted price (£65 discount). I felt so frustrated by this point that, for over 48 hours, they've been unable to recognise this fairly large fault on their own website. So I ended up leaving it and not going ahead with the purchase, as they clearly failed, repeatedly, to understand the fault. They suggested no-one else had reported it - despite the fact I sent screenshots of my facebook post in which I'd asked dozens of others to test it and all confirmed it did not work.

Anyway, I just wanted to rant - and to see if anyone here could actually access the "Shop VIP" button on that website? I have run out of ways to make Dell see that it is broken - I've tried phoning, emailing and tweeting. More to the point - the link (even if it did work) is wrong, as it points to their 'deals' page (accessible by a tab an inch above it) rather than the Dell online store.

Before anyone points it out - the web lady did point out that you can access the store at the very bottom of that page, which is something I didn't see on Wednesday - since the most obvious path to proceed is the big green "Shop VIP" link that is instantly available on hitting the landing page. Anyway! Done!

Razi

Aug 3, 2003
Stevenage
Hmm, so either no-one else has the same problem I do - or no-one gives a shit.

I'll go with the latter.

Shropshire Seagull

Nov 5, 2004
Telford
From an IT software quality / testing angle - corporate web site testing should always be undertaken from a domain not attached to the corporate intranet. Failing that, test from a PC down the local library.

beorhthelm

A. Virgo, Football Genius
Jul 21, 2003
Hmm, so either no-one else has the same problem I do - or no-one gives a shit.

I'll go with the latter.

i tried it, you're right twice. it doesnt work, but i dont really give a shit :lolol: i feel your pain with shoody websites, ive sent many a rant to the admins or PR of companies behind poor interfaces (and fscking carp flash ads :rant:) but they dont care either.

vote with your feet and tell them so.

Razi

Aug 3, 2003
Stevenage
vote with your feet and tell them so.

Ha, I told them in the end that I didn't want the laptop until the website link was fixed as proof that they actually believed me as weren't just trying to get me off the phone. There's just no other point of escalation that I can find - it's just utterly bewildering.

The Fifth Column

Retired ex-cop
Nov 30, 2010
Escaped from Corruption
So you found a broken link, spent hours moaning at a bunch of Indian call centre staff when you could have made the purchase using the link at the bottom of the page? Cool story bro.

Mr Putdown

Jan 26, 2004
Christchurch
So they offered you £265 off the price of a laptop that you wanted and you turned it down because they didn't fix their website which, you didn't actually need to use in the end, as they offered you this extra deal over the phone.

Talk about cutting off your nose to spite your face.

Razi

Aug 3, 2003
Stevenage
Mr Putdown said:
So they offered you £265 off the price of a laptop that you wanted and you turned it down because they didn't fix their website which, you didn't actually need to use in the end, as they offered you this extra deal over the phone. Talk about cutting off your nose to spite your face.

They offered me the same price that I would've got on Wednesday when the original discount was available. So I wasn't really benefiting anything from the problems and frustration I'd had, except for - in the end - an additional 5% off the fully discounted price. Yes, I could've just said "OK" and taken the deal, but the fact that the whole thing was about this broken link and still - 3 days later, it hasn't been corrected and they consistently fail to recognise that there is a problem... I just want them to acknowledge and realise that they do have a genuine error on their site.

The Fifth Column said:
So you found a broken link, spent hours moaning at a bunch of Indian call centre staff when you could have made the purchase using the link at the bottom of the page? Cool story bro.

Clearly too long and detailed a story for you to really see the problem. Purchase was attempted (via the very obvious big, green "Shop VIP" button) on the Wednesday when the £200 discount was applicable. I couldn't make the purchase because of that link error. On the following day, they refused to provide me with the same discount as they suggested the site was fine - which it wasn't, and still isn't to this day. Yes - it appears I could've scrolled down on the Wednesday, and that would've been lovely with hindsight, but their website layout really does suggest that the big "Shop VIP" button that instantly visible on the landing page really would've been the most logical option.

GolfingGull]Does this set a "longest post/rant about nothing to do with football" record?

You've obviously not been here long enough ;)

willyfantastic

Mar 1, 2009
i dont understand why you would pay over a grand to buy a gaming laptop that can play games ok, but not AAA titles.....

You can buy great laptops that will do that for about £800 - plus alienwares are SHIT. my mate saved up for ages to buy one, it barely lasted a year

El Sid

May 10, 2012
West Sussex
Sounds like the usability of the Dell website closely matches the quality of their products and aftercare service.

I won't bore you with my experiences, suffice to say they were total turd.

Mr Putdown

Jan 26, 2004
Christchurch
They offered me the same price that I would've got on Wednesday when the original discount was available. So I wasn't really benefiting anything from the problems and frustration I'd had, except for - in the end - an additional 5% off the fully discounted price

No they didn't, they offered you £65 more. You clearly stated that in your subsequent post.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here