Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

There's more to cycling than Le Tour - this & next Sunday

Stat Brother

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
West west west Sussex
A heads up sports fans.

As a nation, thanks to Channel 4 and the legendary title music, many an armchair enthusiast could be forgiven for thinking pro cycling begins and ends in July, with a 3 week scenic slog around France.

But for actual sport, this Sunday's Tour of Flanders followed by next Sundays Paris-Roubaix, is the pinnacle of cycling.

These races have all the pain, brutality & history of Le Tour.
But as they never got onto UK TV, these two massive events, that pretty much stop Europe (only a minor hyperbole), never get any recognition over here.

Both are live on Eurosport, and 5-live sports extra will, for the first time, be commentating on Roubaix.

Obviously I'm not saying a newbie should settle down for all 4 hours of live coverage (the whole race will take 6 hours).
But if you enjoy Le Tour, Sky/Team GB cycling etc, perhaps you're knackered after the marathon or had a particularly heavy lunch, I think you could do a lot worse than settle down and catch a bit of cobbled cycling.

Wrong-Direction

Mar 10, 2013
Cycling? Who cares, get out the way!

Brighton Mod

Its All Too Beautiful
The Tour of Flanders, the Runden van Vlanderen is my favourite race, its for the hard men and the Belgians will be going balls out to get it. Don't worry about the first few hours, it can be flat and not particularly interesting, there will be a break. But afterwards when they hit the cobbles it gets really interesting, a fight for the racing line, climbs. all but short. Don't miss it!!

Stat Brother

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
West west west Sussex
This way I can save the :bounce: until tomorrow morning:-

Tour of Flanders 2014
LIVE

Sunday April 6, 2014

Sky Sports 4: 11.30am – 4pm

British Eurosport: 12pm to 4pm

Highlights

Sunday April 6, 2014

British Eurosport: 7pm – 8pm
British Eurosport 2: 9.30pm – 11pm

Monday April 7, 2014

British Eurosport: 2am – 3.30am; 1pm – 2.30pm
Sky Sports 3: 6.30pm – 7.30pm

Stat Brother

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
West west west Sussex
You can't be surprised this is getting a :bounce:, it'll be back next weekend too.
Do try and make the most of the second best view of a great sporting event, after this one:-

BkefFLPCcAA6ncF.jpg

Stat Brother

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
West west west Sussex
Ok sports fans, this Sunday is THE day.

Sandwiched between the London snickers and Augusta is:-

Paris Roubaix http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Paris–Roubaix
The Hell of the North.

A race so huge it's had a feature film made about it.

250+kms, 28 separate sections of cobblestones.
This is the toughest of all events and pretty much the biggest, most grueling race in cycling.

But with it being road cycling, and open to all, 2 NSC'ers, [MENTION=19321]Pogue Mahone[/MENTION] & [MENTION=225]Hamilton[/MENTION], have actually ridden the amateur event.

The BBC have a special Bespoke now podcast on the event.
For a slightly more specific, dare I say 'geeky' broadcast check out www.thecyclingpodcast.com

Check it out.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here