Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Keeping BIRDS

Hiney

Super Moderator
Helpful Moderator
Jul 5, 2003
Penrose, Cornwall
Not the human variety, in the basement, but actual birds, in a cage.

Specifically Cockatiels

It's a long story but my Mother-in-Law lives with us and she has got it into her head that she wants a Cockatiel. No prizes for guessing who will be lumbered with caring for this beast, so what do we need to wary of?

Anyone had one?

OzMike

Oct 2, 2006
Perth Australia
Not the human variety, in the basement, but actual birds, in a cage.

Specifically Cockatiels

It's a long story but my Mother-in-Law lives with us and she has got it into her head that she wants a Cockatiel. No prizes for guessing who will be lumbered with caring for this beast, so what do we need to wary of?

Anyone had one?

Plenty here mate, all over the place, flying free as nature intended, catch my drift.

Tyrone Biggums

Jun 25, 2006
Geelong, Australia
I've had one. The best thing to do with a cockateil is handle them a lot when they are young.

The more they are handled the tamer they are. A tame cockateil makes a great little pet as they can be very affectionate little buggers.

edna krabappel

NSC Patron
Jul 7, 2003
I could have the wrong end of the stick here, but I think [MENTION=70]Easy 10[/MENTION] knows a lot about BIRDS.

ack

Apr 20, 2006
I could have the wrong end of the stick here, but I think [MENTION=70]Easy 10[/MENTION] knows a lot about BIRDS.

Handle a young bird from day one, never use a net to catch or gloves. After a few weeks they will become your best friend.

Springal

Feb 12, 2005
GOSBTS
Grow some BALLS and remind her whos HOUSE it IS.

Superphil

Dismember
Jul 7, 2003
In a pile of football shirts
Birds belong in the trees

edna krabappel

NSC Patron
Jul 7, 2003

Tyrone Biggums

Jun 25, 2006
Geelong, Australia
Is it not cruel to cage birds?

Genuine question, caging any animal seems cruel, but in particular one that is meant to fly.

Depends on the bird. A Budgie can sit in front of a mirror all day happily chirping at its own reflection.

My cockatiel was very tame and spent a lot of time out of its cage. Despite that he chose to walk almost everywhere rather than fly.

They don't need to fly, that's just how they safely travel. They don't do it for fun.

Superphil

Dismember
Jul 7, 2003
In a pile of football shirts
Honestly, I've been listening to (Pronounced 'Lĕh-'nérd 'Skin-'nérd) this afternoon, and track 8, Freebird, just came on!

dougdeep

May 9, 2004
SUNNY SEAFORD
Best not to keep birds if anyone in the house has asthma or related conditions.

Easy 10

Brain dead MUG SHEEP
Jul 5, 2003
Location Location
Had my cockatiel for 6 or 7 years now, he's no trouble.

DO NOT buy one from a pet shop though, they will not be tame. As Tyrone says, get one when its young and handle it a lot. We picked one from a breeder when he was a chick and left it a few weeks before going back and picking him up. He was still on liquid food when we brought him home, like a mushy seed mix which I fed him through a syringe - thats how they gain trust of humans and are not inhibited by hands or being handled. Put your hand in front of him and he'll hop on every time.

Very easy to look after. Bit of seed, water, a slice of apple, some millet spray, clean the cage out every 7-10 days, thats all there is to it. He comes out for a fly and a poke around, goes on the scrounge for crisps and treats. Then I pick him up and put him back in his cage. Doddle.

jevs

Mar 24, 2004
Preston Rock Garden
I used to breed cockatiels. Absolutely lovely birds but can be noisy buggers and will bite if threatened....and they can hurt !!!! Get a hand reared one from a private breeder if possible and handle it every day.

lots of nice colour varieties too....apart from the normal greys, lutino and white faced are both nice.

Ⓩ-Ⓐ-Ⓜ-Ⓞ-Ⓡ-Ⓐ

Hove / Παρος
Apr 7, 2006
Hove / Παρος
I've always wanted a parrot, as soon as I've managed to buy a house (whenever the hell that might be) I'm going to seriously look in to getting an African Grey! Huge commitment though as they live for around 60 years I believe, unless I live in to my late 80's it would outlive me!

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here