Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

seat belts

BensGrandad

Jul 13, 2003
Haywards Heath
On the bus to Brighton yesterday the driver had to brake sharply throwing a number of people forward suddenly. This made me wonder why it is not law that buses are fitted with seat belts with optional use, especially where children are concerned.

dougdeep

May 9, 2004
SUNNY SEAFORD
Because idiots would cut them or burn holes in them.

BensGrandad

Jul 13, 2003
Haywards Heath
I am obviously not an expert but I cannot agree with the idea of belts reducing the number of passengers that can be carried and even if that is correct how many buses except in city centre ever get full to capacity. The vast majority of passengers I see are travelling on free bus passes so what difference woukd it make. That article dealt mainly with school buses not general public buses in use 24/7.

Fignon's Ponytail

Jun 29, 2012
On the Beach
My 11 year old asked me exactly the same thing this morning - if coaches and cars have to have them, then why not the seats on buses? Valid question imo....

beorhthelm

A. Virgo, Football Genius
Jul 21, 2003

lost in london

Dec 10, 2003
London
Isn't it something to do with them being larger vehicles and the need to be able to speed up evacuation after a crash / fire? On school buses I think that might be the case - kids might not be able to undo the seat belts, and there may be too many kids for the driver to help in time.

Note: that could be complete nonsense. Half remembering something I heard a while back.

Baldseagull

Jan 26, 2012
Crawley
I always thought it was because people frequently get off and on buses etc, that no one would really bother.

This, delivery drivers and taxi drivers are excused as well for similar reasons.

Diego Napier

Mar 27, 2010
On the bus to Brighton yesterday the driver had to brake sharply throwing a number of people forward suddenly. This made me wonder why it is not law that buses are fitted with seat belts with optional use, especially where children are concerned.

Presumably because thousands of people are injured or killed in car accidents but a much smaller number are injured in bus accidents.

lost in london

Dec 10, 2003
London
if you're american.

Same general principles probably apply though surely? The main ones being the cost of installing seat belts combined with the fact no-one would bother putting them on hardly incentivises bus / coach operators, and the fact that buses are bigger than most vehicles and much more likely to come off ok in a crash.

skipper734

Registered ruffian
Aug 9, 2008
Curdridge
Try the Park and Ride buses, especially the Racehill. They are especially good fun ( think Thorpe Park) for evening matches.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here