Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Footballers' sponsored cars

edna krabappel

NSC Patron
Jul 7, 2003
I remember as a kid, walking around the Goldstone, and occasionally you'd see some car with- say- Steve Penney, sponsored by Dave's Autos of South Street Lancing, or Doug Rougvie Drives A Simpson's Nissan written all over the side. Famously, Sergei Gotsmanov got sponsored by a local Lada dealer (I'm sure there were others).

Clearly no player would be seen dead in a car with their name on the side these days, so when did this stop? When did even lower league footballers get so rich they could afford to turn down a freebie from Dave's Autos? Or does this still go on in the lower leagues? It's a sad loss to the game if not :D

Goring Gull

Jul 5, 2003
Huddersfield
They don't need a sponsored Nissan Micra when they can afford to go out and buy Audi R8's, Range Rovers and the like. How times have changed

Doctor Crawley

Jun 5, 2012
Crawley
I remember as a lad,back in the day,playing in a six a side tournament in Lancing when I spotted a car across the field.
It had the words "Garry Nelson drives a....",can't remember the car,but it was very average and white.
He then went on to ref our semi final (Milton Mount v Wick Dynamos),and we got spanked😲.

Cheeky Monkey

Jul 17, 2003
Just round the corner from my folks in Seaford in the late 70s/early 80s a prominent SCCC Cricketer (can't remember who) had his sponsored car parked on his driveway.

edna krabappel

NSC Patron
Jul 7, 2003
Cricketers still have them, these days.

Yeah, I've seen a few cricketers in them in recent years.

I'm rather hoping [MENTION=118]Hiney[/MENTION] 's programme site will have some pictures of 1980s Albion players proudly displaying their new Datsun :)

bobzam

Brighton 'til I die
Aug 13, 2008
Bristol
Saw a professional golfer on the motorway with this still on the side of their car. Needless to say if never heard of him!

Herr Tubthumper

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
The Fatherland
I seem to remember an 80s/90s news story about goalkeeper being caught cheating on his wife because his sponsored car was regularly seen parked outside a house which wasn't his.

beorhthelm

A. Virgo, Football Genius
Jul 21, 2003
...Clearly no player would be seen dead in a car with their name on the side these days, so when did this stop? When did even lower league footballers get so rich they could afford to turn down a freebie from Dave's Autos?

when they started getting several grand a week??

edna krabappel

NSC Patron
Jul 7, 2003
I seem to remember an 80s/90s news story about goalkeeper being caught cheating on his wife because his sponsored car was regularly seen parked outside a house which wasn't his.

Unrelated, but on that note, I remember seeing an interview with Peter Shilton once in which he was asked what his worst moment in football was. He mentioned an occasion where a tabloid newspaper had named him as having been caught out with a lady who was not Mrs Shilton, and he was bombarded during his next match- which happened to be at the Goldstone- with a chorus of "Does your missus know you're here?".

edna krabappel

NSC Patron
Jul 7, 2003
I remember as a lad,back in the day,playing in a six a side tournament in Lancing when I spotted a car across the field.
It had the words "Garry Nelson drives a....",can't remember the car,but it was very average and white.
He then went on to ref our semi final (Milton Mount v Wick Dynamos),and we got spanked😲.

I just asked Garry Nelson about this on Twitter. His reply:

[tweet]451823591169224704[/tweet]

edna krabappel

NSC Patron
Jul 7, 2003
Nelson has also just revealed as part of this that Sergei Gotsmanov once took them on a tour of his hometown, Minsk, in his Lada with a personalised MINSK 007 number plate :lolol:

Also that Sergei had to stop whenever it rained to reattach the windscreen wipers, as he never left them on the car because they'd get nicked. And he took the battery out of the car every night for the same reason.

I have this amazing vision of Gotsmanov & Nelson rattling around Minsk in a shabby old Lada, absorbing the Communist sights :ohmy:

hans kraay fan club

The voice of reason.
Helpful Moderator
Mar 16, 2005
Chandlers Ford
Nelson has also just revealed as part of this that Sergei Gotsmanov once took them on a tour of his hometown, Minsk, in his Lada with a personalised MINSK 007 number plate :lolol:

Also that Sergei had to stop whenever it rained to reattach the windscreen wipers, as he never left them on the car because they'd get nicked. And he took the battery out of the car every night for the same reason.

I have this amazing vision of Gotsmanov & Nelson rattling around Minsk in a shabby old Lada, absorbing the Communist sights :ohmy:

I would have loved to have been on that road trip. What a pair of absolute HEROES. it would have been like one of those top gear specials, except with two quality footballers and a starstruck teenager, in place of the three middle aged tw4ts.

macky

Dec 28, 2004
John Gregory had a Volvo he covered his name up with black electrical tape he

edna krabappel

NSC Patron
Jul 7, 2003
I would have loved to have been on that road trip. What a pair of absolute HEROES. it would have been like one of those top gear specials, except with two quality footballers and a starstruck teenager, in place of the three middle aged tw4ts.

:lolol:

It sounds like it was actually some sort of club tour (I had imagined he'd just responded to Gotsmanov's invitation for a little holiday in the USSR). I asked him if John Crumplin Football Genius went, and he said not only did he go, but he scored in a 1-1 draw in the Dynamo Minsk stadium :bowdown:

I then enquired whether the players fully explored and absorbed the culture on offer behind the Iron Curtain, to which he replied "absolutely: we were one of the very first visitors to the newly opened McDonald's in Moscow".
:D

I love Garry Nelson.

Driver8

On the road...
NSC Patron
Jul 31, 2005
North Wales
Unrelated, but on that note, I remember seeing an interview with Peter Shilton once in which he was asked what his worst moment in football was. He mentioned an occasion where a tabloid newspaper had named him as having been caught out with a lady who was not Mrs Shilton, and he was bombarded during his next match- which happened to be at the Goldstone- with a chorus of "Does your missus know you're here?".

I recall he had had an accident in his car and his passenger was not Mrs Shilton but a girl called Tina and whenever we attacked there was a menacing chant of "Tina Tina Tina" from the North Stand.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here